Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:38:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686625
  • Total Topics: 118115
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hungarian Revolutionary War of 1848- a 28mm project  (Read 11080 times)

Offline ChrisBBB

• Scientist
Re: Hungarian Revolutionary War of 1848- a 28mm project
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2022, 12:49:44 PM »
Thanks, Freddy - I hope you will get good value out of the scenario book.

Looking forward to seeing the hussars. Do you have a favourite regiment? Perhaps the Lehel Hussars aka ‘Lehull [Falling-down] Hussars’ or the Károlyi Hussars aka ‘Kár, hogy [What a pity] Hussars'?  :D

Offline Freddy

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2022, 06:02:19 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the hussars. Do you have a favourite regiment?
The 12th Nádor hussar regiment, ofc. It was recruited from the Kunság region, my ancestors served in it. We even have a sword, a trumpet and a flag (a small tricolor, so not a unit banner) from those times as family relics. These first hussras will wear the black-blue-black uniform of the 12th.
Historians say that recruitment in the Kunság was like ,,Infantry, meh, I rather choose the firing squad...wait, you said, hussar? Where do I sign?"
Perhaps the Lehel Hussars aka ‘Lehull [Falling-down] Hussars’ or the Károlyi Hussars aka ‘Kár, hogy [What a pity] Hussars'?  :D
Ah, those :) What I wrote above was about the regular hussar regiments, the ones numbered from 1-12. During the war Hungarian government quickly founded 6 more (13-18), those were the "honvéd" hussar regiments, demonstrating why training a cavalryman normally took years, earning a lot of funny nicknames with their riding skills :) War, ofc, taught them the lessons fast then. They will be a later addition, I will need to sculpt new heads for them: while the regulars wore the "Habsburg" shako I mentioned above, the honvéd hussars had one with the national insignia.

Offline ChrisBBB

• Scientist
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2022, 10:29:18 AM »
The 12th Nádor hussar regiment, ofc. It was recruited from the Kunság region, my ancestors served in it. We even have a sword, a trumpet and a flag (a small tricolor, so not a unit banner) from those times as family relics.

Wow!  :o
ofc indeed.

Offline Freddy

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2022, 05:32:24 PM »
[Hell March playing in the background]
Two new Russian battalions. The accelerating pace might be misleading, sometimes when I have time and place and mood, I make the painting steps on the whole bunch of figures, this way the fourth battalion, when I start working on it individually, is far closer to the finish than the first one was.

This also means that now the red-red regiment is completed. I will make complete command for all battalions (so drums, banner and officer), but for now I want those figures/units I have from the Warlord box to make action-ready. (Warlord calculated with 3 27-man battalions, 1-1 officer and drummer but 2-2 banner bearer for each, and I used the officers as regiment commanders, so not everyone has everything.)

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2022, 06:19:17 PM »
Dense columns of Russians..perfect.

Offline Khmorg

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2022, 12:17:50 PM »
I really like your work. very atmospheric and very interesting

Offline Dolnikan

• Librarian
    • Dolnikan Games
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2022, 06:32:52 PM »
Wow. All this looks truly amazing and I love how you bring the period to life for yourself. I just wish I could sculpt like that. How did you actually go about learning it?

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2022, 07:58:13 PM »
Those dudes look great!  Well done...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Freddy

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2022, 10:40:47 AM »
Dense columns of Russians..perfect.
Yes, this way they give the 5 man wide marching column :)
I really like your work. very atmospheric and very interesting
Wow. All this looks truly amazing and I love how you bring the period to life for yourself. I just wish I could sculpt like that.
Those dudes look great!  Well done...
Thank you, guys, there comments are really inspiring!
How did you actually go about learning it?
I am far from a great miniature sculptor, maybe an experienced one at best. I learned with the trial&error method, and lots of practicing :) There are lots of tutorials on the net, the one on massivevoodoo is among the better ones:
https://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2010/01/massive-voodoo-sculpting-tutorial.html
My advice for a beginner would be
1.) Take a miniature you like and try to copy it, at least for the basic shape. This way you will notice/understand the three important things: the pose, the body parts ratio and the wrinkling of the clothes.
2.) When sculpting a new pose, just try to stand like that. Or make someone just to show the pose. You do not need standing for a model for hours, just to see if the pose is natural/how exactly the body parts are aligned,

Offline Dave pen

• Librarian
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2022, 10:38:41 PM »
I found on my SH figures were I've done extra poses I have body dollies, heads with helmets, backpacks and rifles to help with consistancy in size, so when I do my limited work its more like Victor Frankenstein adding arms and heads.  This speeds up the work as doing a figure from scratch takes me along time and is average - not enough time to practice which is what I need.
I take my hat off to the 1848 sculpts.

Dave

Offline Freddy

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2022, 05:19:50 PM »
I found on my SH figures were I've done extra poses I have body dollies, heads with helmets, backpacks and rifles to help with consistancy in size, so when I do my limited work its more like Victor Frankenstein adding arms and heads.  This speeds up the work as doing a figure from scratch takes me along time and is average - not enough time to practice which is what I need.
I take my hat off to the 1848 sculpts.

Dave
Thanks!
I really like that SH project!
For the sculpting, yes, I am also frankensteining what I can (swords and guns are enough to do once), but for that I need at least a base set of sculpts :) One cast of the banner bearer above will be converted to a National Guard model and casted again, and I almost never make casts with fixed heads, a head swap is the easiest way to introduce some diversity even into a monopose unit. So I always prepare some extra heads.
On the other hand, making figures from zero is somehow relaxing to me, so there will always be new dolly candidates.

Offline Dave pen

• Librarian
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2022, 07:49:18 PM »
Thanks!
I really like that SH project!
For the sculpting, yes, I am also frankensteining what I can (swords and guns are enough to do once), but for that I need at least a base set of sculpts :) One cast of the banner bearer above will be converted to a National Guard model and casted again, and I almost never make casts with fixed heads, a head swap is the easiest way to introduce some diversity even into a monopose unit. So I always prepare some extra heads.
On the other hand, making figures from zero is somehow relaxing to me, so there will always be new dolly candidates.

I'm currently converting a 340mm long Napoleonic ship I picked up for a tenner at a bring and buy recently into a schleswig Holstein paddle steamer, I'll be 3d printing the paddlewheels and housing.  I've found 3d printing very useful for doing a basic danish gunboat,  Danish rocket carriage and various different wheel diameters have you been able to make use of a very adaptable technology.

Offline Freddy

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2022, 05:16:26 PM »
I'm currently converting a 340mm long Napoleonic ship I picked up for a tenner at a bring and buy recently into a schleswig Holstein paddle steamer, I'll be 3d printing the paddlewheels and housing.  I've found 3d printing very useful for doing a basic danish gunboat,  Danish rocket carriage and various different wheel diameters have you been able to make use of a very adaptable technology.
Looking forward to see them! 3d printing is a great technology for this hobby. For sculpting I do not find it appealing (not that there are no great 3d armies, but that I essentially work on a computer so I prefer a hobby where I do not have to), but for delicate machine parts with difficult shapes (like a wheel) it opens new possibilites.

Offline Freddy

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2022, 10:04:30 AM »
Late for the Christmas party, just in time for New Years', the intervention force of Tzar Nicholas I. is done.
Finished the red-white regiment:

As you can see (and as I wrote above) there are not enough pickelhaube heads, I had to make one battalion with field caps.

The box containing 81 infantrymen and 3 officers, technically I started the third, blue-green regiment too.
,,A small regiment, huh?"
,,Yes, Sir!"

And the entire force together:

For next, I will do some Hungarian Hussars, but the Russians will also need some cavalry. Also, the Austrian army is now pretty small compared to the other two. 2023 will be a busy year :)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2022, 01:53:41 PM »
Very striking!  :-*

They will look wonderful on the table top.