Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:24:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Five Parsecs From Home Campaign  (Read 1601 times)

Offline Grah

• Bookworm
New Five Parsecs From Home Campaign
« on: September 06, 2022, 06:48:27 PM »
I bought Five Parsecs at the start of the year and have rolled up a crew and run a few missions. So far I am absolutely loving it.

One of the reasons is the ability to tell stories outside of the tabletop battle and in that spirit I have now started to write up the campaign.

https://whatzoneareyoufrom.blogspot.com/2022/09/five-parsecs-from-home.html

See what you think.

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
Re: New Five Parsecs From Home Campaign
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 09:25:39 PM »
Looks awesome. I haven't played Five Parsecs from Home yet, but seen lots of great writeups like this

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 01:40:37 AM »
Looking forward to following your crew's adventures. I bought the book, made up a crew and got the minis, even collected a bit of terrain for it but that is as far as I have got. I think it will be my Long Winters Night project. :D

Offline Grah

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 06:12:16 AM »
I just checked the dates on those first mission photos and it was late October last year. I have done other missions, just not written them up on the blog yet and the latest was the end of Feb this year so it looks like I had the same idea  :)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 07:59:51 AM »
Nice story telling,  you should continue the write ups.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2022, 09:27:34 AM »
That looks like it was a fun game :D

I played the first turn of mine three months ago and partially wrote up some notes. I keep on meaning to get back to it ;D

I think I had more fun with the pre-game and post-game bits than the actual game itself - which ended up being two sides running at each other, shooting (I rolled a rival encounter).

Yours looks more like what I was hoping for, so hopefully my next turn will be better.

Offline Grah

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2022, 04:50:56 PM »
Nice story telling,  you should continue the write ups.
Thanks Vagabond. I intend to. It takes its time though. I'll have to come to grips with the difference between pages and posts on blogspot as well.

I think I had more fun with the pre-game and post-game bits than the actual game itself - which ended up being two sides running at each other, shooting (I rolled a rival encounter).

Yours looks more like what I was hoping for, so hopefully my next turn will be better.

I know what you mean. I enjoy the campaign side immensely.

As far as the missions go I've had both instances - quick wham bam, over in a blink games and long drawn out affairs as well. I think it varies with each game and depends on what opponents you roll, their AI, and other stuff such as battlefield conditions etc. So the RNG is very much in play.

Plus you can 'tailor' the enemy's behaviour a little for cinematic/storyline purposes too if you think it would fit. Nothing major, just maybe using cover like most sane, rational beings would. That sort of thing. You are the overall author to your story so use that little bit of licence to make it more fun.  Plus your first mission with rivals out for your blood is going to heat up pretty quickly.

Offline PeteW

• Scientist
  • Comfortably Numb
    • Pete Wenman Aviation Art
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2022, 05:23:58 PM »

That was a fun read, look forward to further instalments.

P

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2022, 07:38:34 PM »
Plus you can 'tailor' the enemy's behaviour a little for cinematic/storyline purposes too if you think it would fit. Nothing major, just maybe using cover like most sane, rational beings would. That sort of thing. You are the overall author to your story so use that little bit of licence to make it more fun.  Plus your first mission with rivals out for your blood is going to heat up pretty quickly.

Yeah, because it was the first turn I decided to "play to the dice", to prevent me making it too easy. However, I think I went a bit too literal.

I'm never sure with solo games if I want to be part of them or treat it liking I'm watching something on TV. The first turn was very much watching on TV, so I'll try to drop myself into the game a bit more next time. I guess that gets easier as you get more familiar with the rules, rather than flicking between pages every turn.

Offline Grah

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2022, 09:48:53 PM »
It depends one the equipment your crew rolled to a certain extent too - if you have longer range you can let them come in whilst you get a free hit in - even more easily for enemies who can only close combat like against those vent crawlers.

Give it another go for another couple of mission before maybe re-evaluating.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2022, 07:57:28 AM »
An interesting group and sounds like it was a fun game. 👍
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Grah

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2022, 01:13:07 PM »
Hi,
Here's the next mission where the crew of the Aurelian who are 'Walking the Line'.

url - Mission 2

Cheers,
Graham
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 04:48:52 PM by Grah »

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2022, 03:34:03 PM »
Great write up! I'm enjoying the Aurelian's crew's adventures.

Some good luck early on seems almost essential for a successful 5 Parsecs campaign.

My own campaign (https://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,20926.50.html) has ground to a halt among a welter of Real Life (TM) events, some good, most not.

AARs like this have me itching to get back to it!
There are 100 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data.

Offline Grah

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2022, 07:56:32 PM »
Nice work Ithoriel. Some great story telling, fleshing out a few random rolls into some lovely little vignettes. That is exactly why I find 5P to be so rewarding.

The makeup of your crew has some similarities to mine, including a special agent, and I also I noticed that the bot on the crew of Destiny's Child was one of the earlier THX models ;)

I'm glad that the start of my campaign may have given you some impetus to look at yours once more. I do understand how hard it can be to put real world considerations aside for a short while and just game something. Doing the write-up and pictures etc is not a five minute job either if you want to make a good job of it. Something you certainly have :)

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2022, 09:46:58 PM »
Thank you for those kind words, Grah.
You're no slouch yourself when it comes to spinning a story from some bare die rolls.
Please keep them coming.