Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:00:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Bombay uniform  (Read 878 times)

Offline Red Sveta

• Scientist
Bombay uniform
« on: September 05, 2022, 07:35:25 AM »
I have been searching on line for images to use as a painting guide for Afghan War Perry Bombay infantry but I can not seem to find a reliable image of uniforms. How are people painting them? Dose anyone have an image?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Bombay uniform
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 10:22:37 AM »
Khaki uniform in the centre. 19th Bombay NI.

Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Red Sveta

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 10:21:59 PM »
Thanks for that, do you know if there is regulation regarding the coloured turban? I have seen period pictures like this but there seems to be some with coloured cuffs or collars. I have seem both green and red cuffs pictured on various internet searches.

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 10:43:29 PM »
Red Sveta,

It depends on the exact time-frame and also on the particular regiment.  Up to and during the Second Afghan War (1878-1880) Bombay Infantry regiments wore a variety of different "bespoke" regimental pattern turbans, some of which happened to be solid colors, like the khaki turbans worn by the 1st Bombay Grenadiers.  Later in the 1880s many wore khaki turbans in the field, as seen on the Perry "Bengal/Bombay Infantry" figures in their Sudan range.

RE: collars and cuffs, these were always in regimental colors.  Some regiments were amalgamated or renamed and renumbered during the 1880s and 1890s, which usually resulted in changes to their uniform regulations.

If you have a particular Bombay Native Infantry regiment you want details for, feel free to post the regimental info here and I can check for you in my copy of the Carman Indian Army infantry uniform reference book.  It's an imperfect source that doesn't always have answers, but it does have them most of the time.

In the meantime, here's a pic of my own 1st Bombay Grenadiers -- who fought at Maiwand -- which may be the unit you are trying to build using the newer Perry figures:

« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 10:57:40 PM by Mad Guru »
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Red Sveta

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 11:08:55 PM »
Thank you for that information it makes it clear for me  now. I have been painting some Perry plastic Afghans and was planning on getting some of the metal Indian figures to oppose them but finding painting guides has not been straight forwards. I am planning a NWF collection for round about 1870'-80's nothing specific in terms of regiments or dates but more generic forces for skirmish up to eventually brigade type of games, probably in an imaginary province on the Frontier. I was keen to get the uniforms of the Indian troops more or less correct though and you have solved my problem for me. Many thanks.

Offline giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 08:08:50 AM »
After giving my humble (and sneaky) respect to Mad Guru, THE authority for this period, I provide you a picture of Bombay grenadiers in red, less effective than khaki but much more amazing to paint, and a suggestion for 26th Baluchi, I like a lot their turbans and I like them even more when they defeat Mad Guru’s Yusufzai. For more inspiration you can also look at the pictures in this forum in the topic “"Never trust anyone on the Frontier" an ...epic NWF Campaign” where you can admire many collections included Mad Guru’s masterpieces both miniatures and scenarios.

Offline Umra Khan

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2022, 09:27:59 AM »
Red Sveta,

It depends on the exact time-frame and also on the particular regiment.  Up to and during the Second Afghan War (1878-1880) Bombay Infantry regiments wore a variety of different "bespoke" regimental pattern turbans, some of which happened to be solid colors, like the khaki turbans worn by the 1st Bombay Grenadiers.  Later in the 1880s many wore khaki turbans in the field, as seen on the Perry "Bengal/Bombay Infantry" figures in their Sudan range.

RE: collars and cuffs, these were always in regimental colors.  Some regiments were amalgamated or renamed and renumbered during the 1880s and 1890s, which usually resulted in changes to their uniform regulations.

If you have a particular Bombay Native Infantry regiment you want details for, feel free to post the regimental info here and I can check for you in my copy of the Carman Indian Army infantry uniform reference book.  It's an imperfect source that doesn't always have answers, but it does have them most of the time.

In the meantime, here's a pic of my own 1st Bombay Grenadiers -- who fought at Maiwand -- which may be the unit you are trying to build using the newer Perry figures:

Compliments Mad Guru ! you posted early than me, and  provided the necessary clarifications.