Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:20:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Bearwoodman in Frostgrave: An Incomplete History  (Read 21377 times)

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
Re: Bearwoodman in Frostgrave: An Incomplete History
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2023, 10:36:46 PM »
Very nice.  Like the plates and fireplace.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2023, 07:04:36 AM »
Great attention to detail mate!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2023, 11:52:14 PM »
Thanks chaps!

Glass Spiders

This Scenario called for a potentially fairly large number of these small constructs.  Originally designed to serve drinks at banquets they now contain corrosive fluids rather than wine.  They therefore need to be dispatched with care to avoid getting splashed when their glass shatters!

Northstar do a quite nice Glass Spider model but again I wanted to have a go at making my own.  I used a large rivet as a body with a glass paint agitator as a head, then made legs from matchsticks and cocktail sticks.

After experimenting with different types of metallic paint for the legs and attempting to use ink to tint the glass, I went with brass lower legs, copper upper legs and clear glass "heads".

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2023, 03:11:50 AM »
Those turned out quite well, kind of eerie with the glass heads. Very cool scratch building!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2023, 09:55:19 AM »
Brilliant idea mate!

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2023, 11:20:34 AM »
Clever spiders

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2023, 11:26:44 AM »
great stuff.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2023, 08:08:51 PM »
Those are fantastic little creations - great work!
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Raedwald

• Scientist
« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2023, 10:45:59 AM »
Just discovered this thread, now I’m finally getting into Frostgrave properly. Really inspiring stuff, it’s logging quite a fantastic journey!

Thanks so much for sharing all this.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2023, 08:43:20 AM »
Lots of lovely sculpting and innovations your daughters food and blobby men were especially creative.
I miss the text on your games reports but can well understand why.
Cheers

Offline Seditiosus

• Bookworm
« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2023, 07:41:16 PM »
I just found this and I have to say: everything is absolutely beautifully done. great imaginative modelling and painting. thanks for taking us along this ride. hope there is a lot more to come!

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2023, 11:32:19 PM »
Apologies for neglecting this thread!  It is lovely, however,  to read all the kind comments - Vagabond I showed yours to my daughter and she was very pleased! 

As for the game reports the problem is that not only does it take a bit of effort to write a report that might be interesting, but by the time I do try and write something I have usually forgotten the details of the game anyway. Which is sadly largely the case with our playing of the Great Hall Scenario:

The table set up.

Tables not exactly heaving with food as such, but what food there was looked jolly tasty.

The Enchanter's warband.

The Distortionist warband.

A Glass Spider waiting to serve/attack (with reinforcements waiting in the wings).

My son's Elementalist warband (the Baboons are "Thieves").

One thing I remember was that the Distortionist managed to use the spell "Collapse" to bring down the balcony of the tower on to the heads of the Elementalist apprentice below.  Distortionism is considered a "lesser" school (not being one of the 10 main schools featured in the main rule book), but our player who chose this school for their wizard has been pretty successful so far.

A Demon appeared...

...and was dispatched!

Glass Spiders kept popping up.  Soon the floor of the Great Hall was strewn with shards of broken glass.

"Fog" was cast to prevent the fireballs of the Elementalist (and the crossbow bolts from his penguin!) from dominating the open spaces in the Hall.

This encounter came as a result of an Ulterior Motives card - I recall one of the players was being pursued by a relentless hunter!

Another fun game, all the warbands took casualties but all were, after treasure was counted and then spent, ready to come back stronger for the next game!

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2023, 01:32:27 AM »
The Maze of Malcor: Scenario Three

The Aviary

This scenario provided an opportunity for a rather different setting to the usual frozen ruins as it was set in a magically preserved jungle environment used to house the University's collection of exotic plants and animals. My friend already had suitable trees and other plants available to use so I tried to think about what I could contribute.  I found some large Greek style statues from the Reaper Bones Greek Odyssey how I had got through a Kickstarter and painted them up in an attempt to make them look like marble. These would In my opinion  be suitable decoration for the Aviary.

In terms of creatures my friend had painted up some Terror Birds (from Crooked Dice, I think) to be used as the large and aggressive Acrisbirds that inhabit the Aviary.

I really liked how he had painted them, but he only had two and there was a strong chance that we would need more, so when I came a cross a slightly chewed plastic toy ostrich at a car boot sale I bought it as the potential basis of a conversion into an Acrisbird.

I did my best with milliput and then attempted to imitate my friend's paint job.

Not perfect match, but good enough to be perhaps an adolescent Acrisbird, or maybe a slightly different sub-species.

I was thinking about what other terrain we could use when I came across a set of salt dough Halloween themed sculptures my youngest daughter had made with her little friend and a skull they had made using a mould caught my eye.

After obtaining  sculptor's permission I mounted it on a plasticard base and added cork and sand to try to make it look as though it was a large rock carved into the shape of a huge grinning skull but now rather overgrown.

It looked to me like the kind of ancient and primitive art that wizards may have brought back the University from distant lands and used to decorate their magical aviary.

We now had what we needed to play...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 01:35:39 AM by Bearwoodman »

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2023, 01:54:04 AM »
Those all turned out great! I especially like the converted ostrich and the skull statue. I never would have considered cookies as a source of terrain, but it looks brilliant!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2023, 06:29:18 AM »
Great work mate!