Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:39:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686662
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A return to the Seven Years War  (Read 7743 times)

Offline OB

• Mastermind
Re: A return to the Seven Years War
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2022, 07:45:02 PM »
Superb once again!  Your productivity is astounding!  :o

Cheers Mark, I'm determined to complete the project this time.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2022, 07:46:15 PM »
Cheers for your comeback! You are making a great collection! Eager to see them on table!

Thanks Din, me too.  I think it should happen before Christmas.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2022, 11:48:46 AM »
My latest SYW progress is now on my blog.  Artillery, Prinz von Preußen Cuirassiers and von Trümbach’s skirmishing.

If it is of interest here is the link.

https://youdonotknowthenorth.blogspot.com

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2022, 05:01:48 PM »
Nice additions to your collection!
We are walking on the same path...
I mostly prefer to collect Blue Moon (very good sculpts) and Old Glory (they have a lot of character)
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2022, 06:53:37 PM »
Thanks Din.  Yes, were are doing the same thing.  My Old Glory French have started to arrive the Blue Moon stuff is still on its way.

I very much like the OG cavalry in Bearskin caps.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2022, 01:38:59 PM »
Quite a collection building up. 

Curious comments on your blog about the issues with figures, finding bits of venting or flow channels (not sure about the terms you used, never heard before) after painting, enough to wilt your enthusiasm at the time.  A careful cleaning and filing beforehand usually does the trick and then another inspection after priming usually finds everything.  Once in a great while I might find a piece here or there that got missed but that is usually a result of assembly line painting a lot of figures.  My most recent project had a few bits - painting 194 15 mm Wildebeest (which I broke down into 3 x 48 animals and 1 x 50 animals, the last batch having the rest of the main herd of 180 and some live animal trade and six dead animals). [Source of wildebeests were Irregular and Stone Mountain Miniatures African cattle and Pendraken 10 mm actual wildebeest for younger animals - stand-ins, mostly]

Only rarely anymore do I find figures that have much 'flash' of any sort on them since most companies now use centrifugal casting.  I like figures that only need to have a file waved over them and they are clean!  Okay, most figures need a little cleaning/filing on the bottom of the base.

Back to your collection, I am a bit jealous as this is the one period that still tempts me but I just must stop - far too many figures to paint, enough to haunt a dozen gamers guilty conscience's.  Finish my German East Africa and, now, my only non-historical (I count Stone Age as pre-history, not fantasy) Star Wars cinematic adventure (not really sci-fi in my book) and I MUST be done.  The gray hair demands it!  ;)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 01:42:12 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2022, 02:22:36 PM »
Swarf, is micro thin sharp strands of metal, less than a mill in width.  like micro wire and hard to see.  Very difficult to get out if they stick you and snap, painful too.  I picked up the term from a machine shop and don't know if it is in common usage.

Anyhow, it seems to have been limited to the original batch.  The rest are as you say.

Just to add to your temptation Lancashire have a 20% off Sale coming up.  I have some of their SYW stuff and it is fine, could do with some NCO's but fine.  The new French are good with big horses, I'd like them to have a variant trooper rather than single pose.  I intend getting some more and doing a review.

Yes, the grey hair cannot be denied.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2022, 03:59:48 PM »
More SYW progress on my blog.  Austrians this time. Artillery, Cavalry, and a single infantry battalion.  The latter includes figures from Blue Moon, Eureka, Lancashire and Old Glory figures.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2022, 08:08:20 AM »
Excellent additions, they look great! Cheers!

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2022, 09:46:17 AM »
Thanks, only the dragoons left to do and a few commanders.  More Grenzers too.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2022, 08:29:10 AM »
More SYW 18mm stuff on my blog. 

As you will see I got distracted and painted up a couple of French battalions from Lancashire Games too.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2023, 10:45:21 AM »
I made a bit of a push on finishing off my SYW Prussian Army.  This took the form of a brigade of Dragoons.  You can see it below.
There are individual pic’s of von Normann’s,von Blanckensee and Count zu Waldburg’s Dragoons on my blog.

If you would like a look here is the link:

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2023, 10:40:35 AM »
More progress made on my SYW project. 

My Austrian Dragoon Brigade is now done.  It comprises the  Erherzog Joseph, Jung- Modena and Saint Ignon regiments.  I say regiments, squadrons in reality.

If it is of interest there is a project update and some pics on my blog.

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2023, 08:22:11 PM »
Superb, once again!

Well done on including limbers.  My collection sadly doesn't include a single limber.  I wish I'd done some as I went along, but it's too late now and the cost of equipping my armies with the flippin' things would be astronomical!
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2023, 08:38:27 PM »
Thanks Mark. 

I got my limbers via an ebay bargain.  Otherwise the cost would have been ruinous.  No idea who made mine.