Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:49:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pirate problem!  (Read 1087 times)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Pirate problem!
« on: September 13, 2022, 11:05:24 PM »
All,
      So I ordered a couple of 15mm 3D printed ships.  Two sloops and a skiff.  They arrived today, and I put a couple of my Blue Moon pirates in them.  The figures tower over sides of the ships.  Help!

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
Re: Pirate problem!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 11:43:41 AM »
Pendraken do some 10mm pirates. Just a thought.
There are 100 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 12:53:59 PM »
My collection is 18mm.  Here are two photos.

Offline Oldgamer

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2022, 02:37:19 PM »
The ship is small but not that bad, there is a fair bit of cleaning up to do though, once you have done that and splashed some paint on, see how you feel then. If it still looks to small then sell it on.

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2022, 04:30:26 PM »
You could add some wooden bits on the sides of the ships, and buy larger cannons. That's what I did to convert 1/72 models into 28mm ships.

Offline ffrum

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 08:11:22 PM »
I have ordered and received several ships and many buildings and figures from a number of ETSY merchants from various parts of the planet.  I have the ship you pictured and several others from that line of ships.  One must be very aware of the scale the vendor is printing the items to match.  (I wish we had talked sooner!)  I have ended up with both 28mm and 32mm versions of the same figures and ships, purchased during my learning curve on ordering "scale" items from ETSY.

I have found that a few merchants that will only print to 32mm scale.  They claim their models are best for detail at that scale (figures).  Sometimes newer printing merchants are not as flexible to tailor prints to scale as it does requires extra efforts.

There are many merchants that in my experience will print to various scales and some will print to most any scale.  The vendors I have used most are very flexible on printing to the desired scale.  Most printed ships and buildings are available from several merchants on ETSY, since they all use the same sources for their sets of files to be 3D printed.  I have found that the buyer must request the scale needed and that nearly always works out well. 

I have very many 28mm scale figures (Dixon, Foundry, Crusader, Blue Moon and others) and also quite a few of the Blood and Plunder pirate figures (which are also somewhat larger figures and ships).  Blue Moon figures are a "large" 28mm line of figures in my experience with the ones I have.  I have had to make some compromises in game appearances that are necessary to use all these figures with the 28mm or 32mm buildings and ships.

Find a merchant for the ship prints you want that will cater to the scale you require for the figures you want to use.  I have communicated with the merchants quite a bit on ETSY to obtain the scale I required and also about omitted or incorrect parts or poor prints.  Although it sometimes takes an effort and a longer period of time, all merchants have been cooperative whenever I have encountered a problem with their prints.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2022, 08:19:08 PM »
All taken care of.  I sold those models, and managed to get a small fleet of Pressman ships.  They work perfectly with my 18mm pirates.