Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:00:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690622
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Williamite Wars in Ireland  (Read 895 times)

Offline Nellkyn

• Student
Williamite Wars in Ireland
« on: July 23, 2023, 10:07:27 PM »
Any suggestions for a ruleset for the Williamite Wars in Ireland other than Beneath the Lilly Banners?

Nothing wrong with BtLB but I was wondering if there was anything else out there.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Re: Williamite Wars in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 05:43:14 AM »
Hi, I asked a similar question about 6 weeks ago and my thread is still live. It was more aimed at Sedgemoor but also wider late 17th century. The only other late 17th century specific ruleset I found were "Twilight of the Sun King" published by the Pike and Shot Society for £12. There is a U-Tube video of how these work out there somewhere. Other recommendations suggested  using ECW rules, with Helion's "In Deo Veritas" and Simon Miller's "For King and Parliament" being particularly mentioned. I play ECW with FK&P and like them, but don't know enough about the late 17th century to know if they really capture the essence of the period.   

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2023, 09:44:24 AM »
If you are looking for a lower figure count than say For King & Parliament,
I would suggest you take a look at Osprey's Pikemans Lament.

Personally I would modify Osprey's Rebels & Patriots

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2023, 10:29:33 AM »
 Nellkyn, what size battles/forces are you looking at? You could also look at 2FL's Sharp Practice for smaller scale games albeit you may need some adaptations.

Offline Rochejaquelein

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2023, 11:30:31 PM »
If you are looking for a lower figure count than say For King & Parliament,
I would suggest you take a look at Osprey's Pikemans Lament.

Personally I would modify Osprey's Rebels & Patriots
Not to derail the thread too much, but how exactly did you modify the R&P rules for melee only foot units? I know the native unit type has high melee values but they can shoot too. I'm not sure how many points each unit should be worth if you make them melee only.  ???

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 04:48:00 PM »
Not to derail the thread too much, but how exactly did you modify the R&P rules for melee only foot units? I know the native unit type has high melee values but they can shoot too. I'm not sure how many points each unit should be worth if you make them melee only.  ???

Simply improve their combat scores, that is how I would deal with melee only troops.
As to cost, that would depend on the opposition.
e.g. if the opposition is full of good quality long range missile troops...make them cheap,
as they will get shot to s**t. :D

Offline Nellkyn

• Student
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2023, 07:31:50 PM »
Nellkyn, what size battles/forces are you looking at? You could also look at 2FL's Sharp Practice for smaller scale games albeit you may need some adaptations.
Smaller battles, no more than a dozen units a side. I considered Sharpe Practice but it's for actions that are a smaller than I'd like to play.

Offline Nellkyn

• Student
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2023, 07:34:29 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. Some interesting stuff to go and have a look at. Hadn't even thought of "For King and Parliament".

Offline Friends of General Haig

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2023, 08:35:50 AM »
Hi Nellkyn, just to throw another suggestion in to the pot; a couple of chaps at our club (The Friends of General Haig!) have been using Black Powder, with some modifications.

Wargames Illustrated have just featured their Battle of Aughrim game (video: ) and also published their rule amendments and unit stats for the battle here: https://www.wargamesillustrated.net/wi428-extra-the-battle-of-aughrim-black-powder-amendments-and-command-cards/