Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:51:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689776
  • Total Topics: 118295
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Does anyone use Ekdromoi in their Hoplite games?  (Read 1209 times)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Does anyone use Ekdromoi in their Hoplite games?
« on: September 13, 2022, 11:30:56 PM »
I only found out about these the other day. I was immediately intrigued as it gives a phalanx a bit of an intrinsic capability to chase away skirmishers, but at the expense of weakening the phalanx slightly while they are out of formation.
I wondered if others had modelled these into rules in "large skirmish" level games. Obviously if you have peltasts  or other skirmishers of your own covering the flanks it is perhaps not worth bothering about.  But thought it worth a post asking?
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Re: Does anyone use Ekdromoi in their Hoplite games?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 08:47:55 PM »
The concept comes into play in Men of Bronze as the Light Hoplite unit (as well as other reforms and lightening of hoplite gear).  The idea that an individual unit would peel off and send runners out to try and ward away or chase down skirmishers, is not really represented though. 

In a pinch, it could be a special rule activated with the use of an Arete point, BUT the way the units worked together in the rules all ready; I decided not to include such rules.  It would cheapen some of the "combined arms" usage of your own skirmishers and peltasts.

There is still much "work" or research to be down on how Hoplite formations were or were not useful in other types of actions than "pitched battles".  There is a lot of detail that seems like it would be only relevant at the smaller scale, skirmish level; with Ekdromo being one of them.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 11:54:55 PM »
Thanks Eric. The type of games I like are exactly that "large skirmish" type with about 60 figures per side on the table. I am going to play around with this idea for a while.

Offline wkeyser

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 10:11:24 AM »
It is also in the Perfect Captians Hoplamchia, which i love for its detailed take on hoplite warfare.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2022, 03:11:37 PM »
Yeah, Hoplomachia has it I am sure.....

Offline pallard

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2022, 08:59:42 PM »
Yes it has, at least for some relevant lists. And yes it is a fantastic rule set for hoplite warfare.
Philippe

Offline pallard

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2022, 09:10:10 PM »
In the almost same scale as the one you mentioned I would suggest Mortal Gods with its lone hoplites alongside the phalanx. You just have to give no armour to the former and have heavy hoplites in formation on the side of which to dart out your heroes, particularly if you reserve the Athenian move bonus to these light young men. I like these rules very much for the very reason that it can explore these twilight fields of greek warfare where we know hoplites fought but not much how they fought: the lochos level engagements. Behind the screen of uncomplicated play for fun, you really have a thoughtful historical simulation both elegant and discreet.
Philippe

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2022, 09:36:59 PM »
I feel like Clash of Spears should cover this as well..... but I would have to go look again. 

Offline pallard

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2022, 05:29:54 PM »
This is my other option. You have only 4th century army lists available but earlier armies can easily be deducted from them.

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2022, 04:23:26 PM »
Argad ruleset allows to form (individual) characters in close order units and also to leave the formation at will, so chasing enemy skirmishers with a few guys coming from a main unit could be done.

But I don't know if anyone has been playing hoplites with the rules and no extension has yet been studied for this period.