Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:04:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: O dear, it's 1:48 or 32 mm  (Read 9063 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
O dear, it's 1:48 or 32 mm
« on: September 19, 2022, 05:18:22 PM »
For my railway side of my modelling hobbies I had invested in a short length of O gauge track and a couple of locomotives, plus four or five wagons. The problem is they are a little too large for 28 mm, although admittedly scale creep has (at least in the case of sci fi stuff) drawn closer or reached this size. I haven't managed to find a working chassis without a body which I can happily modify - although I admit I a more familiar with H0 and N gauge models.
Any pointers? This will be part of a sort of railway setting, besides serving as scenery.
I would also be interested in broken down old wagons, to be modified and used as scenery. I did find the Sarissa ones, but have fallen into the proper flanged steel wheel pit and am buying wheels to modify these on the Sarissa wagons I have (which I do not wish to modify). I guess going down this route is the easiest option, but would like to see if one can find train wrecks for sale.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: O dear, it's 1:48 or 32 mm
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 05:49:15 PM »
I was told 'S' gauge was a better fit, but as that seems to be
easier to get on the US side of the pond I haven't seen any myself.
I have had better luck with toy trains off e-bay. Buy very cheap
& even slightly wrong scale can be used as scenery.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 06:17:49 PM »
For my railway side of my modelling hobbies I had invested in a short length of O gauge track and a couple of locomotives, plus four or five wagons. The problem is they are a little too large for 28 mm, although admittedly scale creep has (at least in the case of sci fi stuff) drawn closer or reached this size. I haven't managed to find a working chassis without a body which I can happily modify - although I admit I a more familiar with H0 and N gauge models.
Any pointers? This will be part of a sort of railway setting, besides serving as scenery.
I would also be interested in broken down old wagons, to be modified and used as scenery. I did find the Sarissa ones, but have fallen into the proper flanged steel wheel pit and am buying wheels to modify these on the Sarissa wagons I have (which I do not wish to modify). I guess going down this route is the easiest option, but would like to see if one can find train wrecks for sale.

What kind of Locos and rolling stock have you purchased?  That is to say are we talking full scale European O-scale which I think is actually 1:43 (35-37mm) or US which is 1:48 (32-33mm)? If it's expensive full-scale O Gauge stuff of either variety it will not only be huge, but will possibly be so large it dominates the table.   

Alternatively, the the US down-scaled (is there a similar product for european?) sort of Toy Train O made to run on 0-27 track, is probably right on for size though the trucks might still be oversized and of course width of the rails (Gauge) will still be too wide.  0-27 sort of stuff actually comes in several different sizes.  Some almost as tall as full-scale and just shorter in length, some so small they look like S "Scale" stuff on larger wheels and then there are some some fairly well proportioned being halfway between 1:48 and 1/56 in height and width and sometimes even shorter in length.  Your best bet then is probably to decide how high you want your rolling stock to be and then specifically ask dealers. 

As for S scale, it's the most accurate option, but can be fairly expensive I assume moreso over the pond.  However, deals can be had if you look for non-functioning lots and train sets missing box and some parts. 

Here's a battle we had with some Lionel 0-27 equipment. Note that the FA-1 locomotive still looks suitably huge, but it's still at least 40% less in length compared to one accurately sized for the 28-32 miniatures and so it actually looks better on the tabletop.
https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2017/12/the-scenic-route-a-walking-dead-campaign-chapter-3-runaway-train/

Note that the autos are a mix of 1/43, 1/48 and others.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 06:22:45 PM by eilif »

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 08:05:20 AM »
First of all - thanks for the help Eilif and has.been, very much appreciated.
S gauge would have been nice, but (i) I already had the O gauge before coming up with this plan and (ii) shipping from US to here is incredibly expensive, and anything on the bay seems to come from the US with similarly prohibitive shipping costs.

My O gauge stuff is European, so yes, it is a bit on the large size. it is not the horribly expensive stuff - the two locos are both Italian Lima models, one a French diesel and the other a British steam locomotive which the previous owner had painted. Links to similar models from retailers:

https://thestationmastersrooms.co.uk/catalogue/product-details.aspx?id=J35827&t=Lima+O+Gauge+SNCF+Blue+Diesel+Loco+RN+67001+Electric+3+Rail+Boxed+Spares

and

https://www.hampshiremodels.co.uk/products/lima-216534-o-gauge-fowler-class-4f-4683-lms-maroon

My wagons are a small, eclectic mix of Lima, Hornby and Sarissa laser cut mdf (with replacement metal wheels).

Thanks for the pics - my locos seem smaller than the FA-1 (!), so maybe it's not that bad.
What I'd really like is a motorised O gauge chassis to scratchbuild a loco on (I would not want to dismantle the two working ones I have), as I prefer having a model which can be operated electrically (for no reason, as it wouldn't really contribute to the gaming aspect, just a fancy I guess).
I think I should set up a mock up to see how they look with scenery and models...

« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 08:11:44 AM by Vanvlak »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 07:19:28 PM »
First of all - thanks for the help Eilif and has.been, very much appreciated.
S gauge would have been nice, but (i) I already had the O gauge before coming up with this plan and (ii) shipping from US to here is incredibly expensive, and anything on the bay seems to come from the US with similarly prohibitive shipping costs.

My O gauge stuff is European, so yes, it is a bit on the large size. it is not the horribly expensive stuff - the two locos are both Italian Lima models, one a French diesel and the other a British steam locomotive which the previous owner had painted. Links to similar models from retailers:

https://thestationmastersrooms.co.uk/catalogue/product-details.aspx?id=J35827&t=Lima+O+Gauge+SNCF+Blue+Diesel+Loco+RN+67001+Electric+3+Rail+Boxed+Spares

and

https://www.hampshiremodels.co.uk/products/lima-216534-o-gauge-fowler-class-4f-4683-lms-maroon

My wagons are a small, eclectic mix of Lima, Hornby and Sarissa laser cut mdf (with replacement metal wheels).

Thanks for the pics - my locos seem smaller than the FA-1 (!), so maybe it's not that bad.
What I'd really like is a motorised O gauge chassis to scratchbuild a loco on (I would not want to dismantle the two working ones I have), as I prefer having a model which can be operated electrically (for no reason, as it wouldn't really contribute to the gaming aspect, just a fancy I guess).
I think I should set up a mock up to see how they look with scenery and models...

You're very welcome.  Two very cool looking locos you've got, especially that French Diesel.  What class! I think it's great that you're going with powered.   I'm currently acquiring some HO gear to do a budget narrow gauge 1/56'ish railroad for PostApoc and Sci-fi and unlike my Sci-fi O-Gauge train (though I have plans to power it someday...), this one will be powered.

You're probably right that your stuff is 1/43'ish and yet it is possible they are smaller than mine for two reasons. First, American locos are huge compared to European, even when scaled down a bit.  Secondly, yours might also be down-sized a bit for the classic toy train market.  Setting up some scenery is a good idea to figure whether you might already have what you want.  I do suspect though that a 1/43 loco might tower over your current 28mm wargaming scenery.

As for building a new body and an old chassis, it might be worthwhile to get the parts diagrams for your currently locos and see if there is a possibility of easily removing the existing shells.  Most model trains are made to be opened for maintenance and you might find that it's just a few screws.  I knew a fellow who had one powered frame with DCC control and he would swap different bodies onto it depending on what the days consist was! If it's screw attachments for yours it'd be especially easy to attach a new scratchbuilt body and if you have the original boxes, you've already got the best solution for safely storing the original bodies.

If you do decide to acquire another, I recommend looking for a working loco with body damage.  It's counter-intuitive, but I often see that a powered frame is more expensive than the same frame with a damaged shell on it.  Plus, the damaged shell might provide you with a base to work from in creating your own body.

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you.  Sounds like a really cool project, but beware, tinkering with trains can prove addictive!  ;)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 08:51:44 PM »
I was fortunate enough to find a great deal of S-Gauge track quite cheap a couple years ago, so that sorted that (and also locked me in to S-Gauge).

Probably going to go with the Company B trains eventually as their wheels can be fitted to many track widths, which is really the smartest solution for wargaming offerings.

The chief appeal to me of using true S over using HO (especially larger ones like H0 ON-30, which better fit 32mm minis) and calling it "Narrow gauge" is that the base of one figure can sit very comfortably between the two rails with S-gauge track. A little thing, but I anticipate using the rails as scenery at times with no train at all, so I feel like it's even more important that the rails themselves "look right" than the train.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2022, 03:59:54 PM »
Beating able to comfortably set the minis in between rails is a fair consideration.  Even Code 100 HO track is so short that it doesn't bother me, but you can't beat S for realism.  Around here you can find rusty S Gauge track for pennies, but it's the toy train style.  Realistic S with sleepers/ties is more expensive.

My plan is just to clip out every other rail of some cheap HO sectional track to make narrow Gauge track.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 07:14:08 PM by eilif »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 06:51:10 PM »
Not a bad idea!

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2022, 02:46:03 PM »
Out of interest, what actual scale are the Lima models?

Are they 7mm to the foot (1/43 - O gauge) or 1/45? I am not sure if Quarter scale is a general railway  modelling scale in Europe.

Some European models are 1/45 scale.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2022, 05:24:02 PM »
They seem to be closer to 1:43 - I have to take some measurements to be certain.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2022, 07:21:24 PM »
Out of interest, what actual scale are the Lima models?

Are they 7mm to the foot (1/43 - O gauge) or 1/45? I am not sure if Quarter scale is a general railway  modelling scale in Europe.

Some European models are 1/45 scale.
Wow, I had no idea that 1/45 is a railrway scale.  I thought most euro O was 1/43 (technically 1/43.5), hence HO being "Half O" and being 1/87.   

AFAIK, 1/48 scale is not a common European railway scale, but I could be wrong. 

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2022, 10:11:42 PM »
Lenz Spur O is the main producer of O Gauge for the German market and is 1/45 scale.

32mm at 1/45 is 1440mm, pretty close to 1435mm.

You are right about the origin of Half O.

Offline Gelrir

• Student
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2022, 03:49:30 AM »
I have a couple of long lengths (about 5 feet) of S-scale flex track; my various rolling stock are from different gaming (not model railroading) companies, in 28mm "scale". The only actual S-scale rolling stock I own is a 1920s heavyweight Pullman car. And yes, S-scale rolling stock is expensive, and there's almost nothing made for railways outside of North America. So far, though, everything can be made to fit!

--
Michael

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2022, 07:39:34 PM »
What company are those carriages and loco by? Are they Company B prints?

Regardless of game company, did you mount them on S-gauge wheels sourced from railroad suppliers or did they come with wheels which could be placed as needed? (Company B's train prints are track scale-agnostic, I know, not sure about others).

Offline Gelrir

• Student
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2022, 06:33:54 AM »
The carriages and flatcar are definitely from Company B; the loco too, if I recall. These were all purchased in 2012-2018. I think they've remastered their railway equipment a couple of times since then -- they were resin bodies with metal detail parts buffers, undercarriage parts, axles, wheels, and couple of other small bits). I definitely used the wheelsets that came with the kits; it wasn't too hard to assemble them to fit S-scale track.

--
Michael B.