Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:29:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690815
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Favorite Minotaur miniatures?  (Read 7902 times)

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
Re: Favorite Minotaur miniatures?
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2022, 10:44:02 AM »
I second the Bears Head Moonotaurs

Still don’t know who’s making em now though

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
    • The Evil Lead
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2022, 01:05:36 PM »
I second the Bears Head Moonotaurs
Still don’t know who’s making em now though

He's ace! Looks like his mate is available from Old School Miniatures.

https://www.oldschoolminiatures.co.uk/highland-minotaur---limited-edition-resin-master-1205-p.asp

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2022, 01:34:29 PM »
I like the minotaur from Otherworld Miniatures:

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2022, 02:52:32 PM »
He's excellent! And look, Hobgoblin, he has feet!

And sculpted nether regions...
https://a-descent-into-the-maelstrom.blogspot.com/

"The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything."

- Chuck Palahniuk

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2022, 11:01:49 PM »
I love this old Celt Minotaur from Rackham's Confrontation

Kelt Minotaur 01 c , on Flickr
Kelt Minotaur 01 b , on Flickr
Kelt Minotaur 01 a , on Flickr

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2022, 01:24:48 PM »
He's excellent! And look, Hobgoblin, he has feet!

And sculpted nether regions...

Ha - yes, indeed!

I took my own advice and ordered those dirt-cheap minotaurs from Tritex. They arrived today - what a bargain! Here's a size comparison (they're from a boardgame based on the Chinese classic Journey to the West - aka Monkey). I've put the standard minotaur on a 40 x 40 base; he's about the same size as the classic Citadel ones (I'll be mixing a few of those in). Also, I reckon the centaur-minotaurs will do as KoW "minotaur chariots" - perhaps without any embellishment, given their size. The chariot rules are used for big beasties, like mammoths, as well as for actual chariots, so these guys should do fine - although they're in a good position for pulling a cart.

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2022, 02:51:17 PM »
Those are pretty nice! What are they made of? Plastic?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2022, 03:21:57 PM »
Yes, that upmarket-boardgames stuff. Looks perfectly trimmable and paintable, though those big bases will take some hacking away!

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2022, 07:08:38 PM »
Ha - yes, indeed!

I took my own advice and ordered those dirt-cheap minotaurs from Tritex. They arrived today - what a bargain! Here's a size comparison (they're from a boardgame based on the Chinese classic Journey to the West - aka Monkey). I've put the standard minotaur on a 40 x 40 base; he's about the same size as the classic Citadel ones (I'll be mixing a few of those in). Also, I reckon the centaur-minotaurs will do as KoW "minotaur chariots" - perhaps without any embellishment, given their size. The chariot rules are used for big beasties, like mammoths, as well as for actual chariots, so these guys should do fine - although they're in a good position for pulling a cart.

Those look great! I bought a couple packs of the Tehnolog minotaurs, but they're soft plastic and I'm dreading painting them.  Might have to take the plunge, even from this side of the pond.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2022, 12:55:12 AM »
Ha - yes, indeed!

Would you be willing to do a measurement for me?
What's the length and width at the widest points for the Centaur Bull?   I'm looking at them as potential Monstrous Cavalry for Kings of War.  A horde of Monstrous Cavalry is usually 6 figures in an area 150x100mm.  Approximately how many could fit in that space perhaps with a bit of creative positioning and overlapping at the edges?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2022, 09:38:48 AM »
Sure!

You'd get a full six onto a horde set-up if you removed the bases and positioned carefully, though you might be more comfortable with five. But you can certainly get a FMC or PMC unit.

The photo below shows a couple of the beasts positioned on 50mm square bases. As you can see, the big bases (32 x 60mm) need to be removed, but the hoofprint is fine for the monstrous cavalry bases.

The widest point is about 55mm (shield to shield), but the shields are easily removed, which takes them down to 50mm width. The hands are easily drilled for weapons; I'll be drilling them for chariot poles.

Offline Horrabin

• Assistant
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2022, 10:43:25 AM »
The Trish Carden ones sold through Footsore are very nice.

Seconded 👍
\"Black, his codpiece made of metal...\"

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2022, 12:30:58 PM »
Sure!

You'd get a full six onto a horde set-up if you removed the bases and positioned carefully, though you might be more comfortable with five. But you can certainly get a FMC or PMC unit.

The photo below shows a couple of the beasts positioned on 50mm square bases. As you can see, the big bases (32 x 60mm) need to be removed, but the hoofprint is fine for the monstrous cavalry bases.

The widest point is about 55mm (shield to shield), but the shields are easily removed, which takes them down to 50mm width. The hands are easily drilled for weapons; I'll be drilling them for chariot poles.
Thanks, That's just what I was hoping!  If I can get 4 positioned well, that would be fine for me, but I'll go for 6. I do want to individually base them so they'll be suitable for other games as well.

You anticipated my question about the shields also. Nice to see they're not molded together all along the back of the forearm.  I'm going to have to source some pretty big weapons for these guys.

My Varangur army (Oldhammer'ish Chaos Warriors and Beasts) currently has Rackham Wulfen serving as "Frostfang Cavalry". They're functional, painted to match the army, and proxies of that sort are the norm in my group, but I really want something suitably huge and Chaos'ey and these would be perfect.

Lastly, as relates to your project, those shields might be a suitable start for chariot wheels.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 12:57:16 PM by eilif »

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2022, 12:53:07 PM »
I wouldn’t say that it’s my favourite but I’ve always wanted to know who made this one. It’s huge. Resin. Got it on eBay as part of a job lot some years ago.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2022, 03:15:17 PM »
Thanks, That's just what I was hoping!  If I can get 4 positioned well, that would be fine for me, but I'll go for 6. I do want to individually base them so they'll be suitable for other games as well.

You're most welcome! They'll go on individual 50s just fine. Once you've got the weapons added, you might want to slightly 'stagger' the basing so that they rank up (but depending on what you add, it might not matter).

My Varangur army (Oldhammer'ish Chaos Warriors and Beasts) currently has Rackham Wulfen serving as "Frostfang Cavalry". They're functional, painted to match the army, and proxies of that sort are the norm in my group, but I really want something suitably huge and Chaos'ey and these would be perfect.

Yes, they're great for that. I'm using some fat Grendel lizards with orc riders as frostfang cavalry. I'm planning to replace some or all of the metal part of the riders with GW plastics (painted as ogres - my Varangur army uses Nick Lund orcs as huscarls and reavers, with matching ogre allies).

Lastly, as relates to your project, those shields might be a suitable start for chariot wheels.

Good idea! The curvature might work against their use as wheels, but they'll certainly from part of the chariot sides at the very least!