Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:13:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Re: 1/72 Fantasy figures (Magic users)  (Read 5912 times)

Offline MysteryMachine

• Bookworm
Re: 1/72 Fantasy figures (Battle Valor Orcians)
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2023, 05:49:31 PM »
Many thanks, blacksmith!

I've got some magic users almost finished, then it's time to start prepping and undercoating some more figures.

I also managed to find a great seller on Etsy who was prepared to produce 1/72 versions of some 3D prints (most vendors won't handle this scale). so I'm looking forward to sharing some of these when they're painted. I was very happy to find 1/72 scale undead (including ghouls, alternative skeletons and zombies), as well as some excellent character models.

Re the Ral Partha rats - they also have some really good wolves for this scale if you need any more. I'm going to be painting these at some point, but these ones fit particularly well:

http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/shop/demonworld-15mm-c-76/demonworld-classic-c-76_151/orcs-c-76_151_77/4021a-wolves-5-p-2280.html

The "young wolves" are also good (I think they're old Tom Meier sculpts) but they'd be better as dire wolves at 1/72, because they're a bit big for the regular sort:
http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/shop/fantasy-warband-rpg-minis-28mm-c-181/animals-c-181_185/02093w-pair-of-young-wolves-2-p-4037.html

« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 05:59:22 PM by MysteryMachine »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2023, 08:31:59 PM »
Those are brilliant! Superb work on the shields!

I'm also using them in 1/72: for me, they're perfect as the Uruk-hai in that scale. So far, I've only painted a solitary wolfrider, though! The large Magister Militum Blood Dawn orcs are similar in size and build, so I'm mixing those in.

Offline MysteryMachine

• Bookworm
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2023, 08:54:03 PM »
Thanks very much for the comments, guys.

I'd be very interested to see a comparison such with the Magister Militum orcs if you get a chance to take one at some stage, Hobgoblin.

I have some of the Blood Dawn dwarves, as I'd seen comparisons showing that they were on the big side for 15mm. They're very nice figures.

Offline MysteryMachine

• Bookworm
Re: 1/72 Fantasy figures (Magic users)
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2023, 01:31:17 PM »
Some more PC-types for the fantasy collection - magic users in this case.
These can be harder to find than the more martial sorts of character, such as fighters or rangers, as appropriate figures for the latter are readily available from historical 1:72 sets.

In this case, the figures include an Elhiem adventurer, three Caesar adventurers, and two slightly larger figures - a Tom Meier 25mm enchantress, and a Saruman figure from the War of the Rings boardgame.

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2023, 04:44:32 PM »
Fantastic painting on those Casters, I love it!
Saruman pass without problems as he can be that tall but the enchantress, although very nice, is a bit too big IMO.

Offline 102-year-old-man

• Bookworm
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2023, 07:42:43 PM »
I instantly fell in love with your shields :-*

Also thanks for the size comparisons and introducing a new orc series!

Offline Philotep

• Bookworm
  • Philotep
    • Philotep's 1/72 Minis Kingdom
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2023, 08:22:18 AM »
Superb series of figures, I really love your painting style. I didn't know the Elhiem range, thank you for this discovery!

Offline MysteryMachine

• Bookworm
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2023, 11:13:12 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Blacksmith, I think I'm prepared to overlook the slight scale discrepancy (in the enchantress in this case) in favour of the quality of sculpting, of which I am a big fan, as with lots of the older 'true 25mm' scale miniatures (I have picked up a few others on ebay). Hopefully it will be easy to overlook on the field of play!

I know other scales (such as 15mm) have similar challenges with regard to size compatibility.

Philotep, I'm glad the Elhiem miniatures were of interest. The quality of sculpting is a bit crude on some of them (e.g. the chainmail), but they have charm, and most importantly fill the gap for available 1:72 adventurers (given the difficulties of getting hold of the Caesar equivalents). I have painted three of the Elhiem adventurers so far (photo attached).

I have some of the Elhiem mercenaries as well, which will do very nicely for urban thugs and rogues (e.g. for Sellswords and Spellslinger's Close Quarter Battles), but again, the sculpting is a bit rough and they will require a bit of 'interpretation' and painting on details. The true 25mm miniatures, on the other hand, are much easier to paint in terms of 'reading' the miniatures.

Offline RSDean

• Librarian
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2023, 12:49:44 AM »
My 1/72 fantasy includes a few plastic figures of other origins in my magic user collection: Caesar undead vampiress, Strelets
crusader transport monk, Hat Celtic command druid, and Linear A Roman transport civilian…

Offline 102-year-old-man

• Bookworm
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2023, 10:10:22 AM »
some of my 1/72 magic users (ignore the viking, lol)

- Some are 28mm Gnomes and Halflings that fit into 1/72 scale as humans.
- Also those figures are 1/72: https://www.ebay.com/itm/353467981718
- Some are from the Age of Mythology Boardgame.
- Another one is out of this set: https://kamar-zinnfiguren.de/de/KAMAR-Figuren-1-584/Figuren-1-72-Mittelalter-588/Wanderer--Pilger.html

If you want to know the manufacturer of one specific miniature feel free to ask!

Offline RSDean

• Librarian
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2023, 10:53:59 AM »
I’ve got the necromancer with what I interpret as the skull mask from the Caesar undead set, and there’s a shaman from the Dark Alliance Cimmerians in there, but that’s mostly a mass of figures new to me.  :)

I’m not sure how many is “enough” for a collection; I counted my 1/72 fantasy-ish individually based figures last weekend, and have just under 200.  That’s probably enough for reasonable RPG support …

Offline MysteryMachine

• Bookworm
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2023, 02:09:09 PM »
Hi everyone. Many thanks for sharing these great ideas for other potential magic users!

Mr Dean, I've enjoyed seeing your Portable Fantasy Campaign very much, and aspire to create something similar (if not quite so portable!):
https://www.harfordhawks.com/2020/12/19/the-portable-fantasy-game-campaign-box/
I am trying to paint slightly larger 'encounter groups' of baddies, as games like Sellswords & Spellslingers and Nightwatch seem to potentially require quite a lot of enemies.

102-year-old-man, that's a very interesting range of miniatures from a variety of sources. One of the figures I recognise is Vlad Tlepes from the following set, which has an interesting selection of models (in a similar style to Caesar miniatures) with an East European feel: http://plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1514

Thank you also for providing the link to the KAMAR pilgrims, which look like they'd make great low fantasy hedge wizard types.

I've enjoyed seeing both your takes on the Caesar undead vampiress, too.

Offline Darathar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2023, 08:58:47 AM »
These figures are fantastic! I too have become very keen on 1/72 fantasy this year. I 3d print alot but also just love the minis both historical and fantasy that have been coming out. 4 new dark alliance fantasy sets are on their way and I cannot wait

Offline RSDean

• Librarian
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2023, 11:12:11 AM »
Mr Dean, I've enjoyed seeing your Portable Fantasy Campaign very much, and aspire to create something similar (if not quite so portable!):
https://www.harfordhawks.com/2020/12/19/the-portable-fantasy-game-campaign-box/
I am trying to paint slightly larger 'encounter groups' of baddies, as games like Sellswords & Spellslingers and Nightwatch seem to potentially require quite a lot of enemies.

Thank you for the kind words regarding my project.  I look forward to seeing anything you do with the inspiration. :D

I’ve been playing 5 Leagues from the Borderlands with the set most recently; groups in that run up to 10 or so. 

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2023, 12:32:20 PM »
Some more PC-types for the fantasy collection - magic users in this case.
These can be harder to find than the more martial sorts of character, such as fighters or rangers, as appropriate figures for the latter are readily available from historical 1:72 sets.

In this case, the figures include an Elhiem adventurer, three Caesar adventurers, and two slightly larger figures - a Tom Meier 25mm enchantress, and a Saruman figure from the War of the Rings boardgame.

These look fantastic! I think you can get away with the enchantress - those early Ral Partha figures do have bigger heads, but that can help identify important PCs/NPCs/heroes in a game.