Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:21:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686489
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Quick Play Napoleonic Rules  (Read 2150 times)

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
New Quick Play Napoleonic Rules
« on: September 21, 2022, 04:58:31 AM »
Good morning, this isn't a commercial hence why I'm posting here. I received an e-mail newsletter from Perry Miniatures  last night that contained links to a new fast play set of rules called "Valour and Fortitude".  They are literally a 5-6 pages pages long plus a QRS, and in addition have separate national force lists. They are written by Jervis Johnson of GW fame aided by the Perry brothers.  Best of all they are free to download.  Knowing the heritage, to my untutored eye they seem to be an even quicker/simpler version of Black Powder. Probably not to everybody's taste but worth a look.   

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
Re: New Quick Play Napoleonic Rules
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 05:38:27 AM »
I downloaded yesterday and printed out, they seem a nice set of rules that have their roots in wanting to have a handy set to make demo games easier at shows, plus the lists support their figure range.

Go to their front page on their website and see the links in the left column.

Unlike Black Powder, their fire phase is before an Action Phase and the action phase has a number of options including movement (rather like the Perry ACW Firepower rules, but with the fire split out into a different phase). But like Black Powder, the destruction of brigades plays a central roll to play and conclusion.

Terminology is different from Black Powder, so the term saves is not made, but they are there in principle, but with a twist, once a unit has hit their stamina level in losses, further tests are all about destruction and reduction of brigade capability.

The actual rules are around 4 pages long, but there is a 5th page of rules tucked away at the end of the army lists, which again like Black Powder, cover character traits, such as whether a unit can skirmish or go into square etc.

The three main groups of down cover V1 of the rules, army lists and 3 generic scenarios. There is a nod to smaller table spaces by helpfully suggesting to halve unit frontage and ranges.

I think many will find them interesting, they are solid enough that a player can add their own tweaks to make them fit their own vision of napoleonic play and in the current climate of pressure on wargame budgets, free is as good as it gets.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 07:12:36 AM by Norm »

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 07:40:29 AM »
Norm, thanks for the more detailed clarification.  At present the force lists only cover 1812 onwards but I'm sure the e-mail I received said that other armies/periods would be added quite quickly. I certainly intend to give them a run-,our with my long unused 28mm Peninsular forces.

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 08:38:54 AM »

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 09:53:56 AM »
Note the 1 piece of errata that is on the link before you press the download button.

You are best going to the Perry web page because it also includes the downloads for army lists and scenarios.

Link

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 09:55:32 AM by Norm »

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2022, 02:16:42 PM »
Some force lists show as from 1809, some from 1812, it is intended as a living document so more to be probably added later, possibly even a ACW version.

The rules are essentially spread out between 5 or more short pdfs, collectively about 20ish pages covering rules, army lists and 3 scenarios, as you need at least 3 elements for a game, one of the three scenarios, army lists and the rules to use them.

There's coverage in Wargames Illustrated 418 including some material not included in the Perry Downloads, although some of the Perry downloads especially the army lists do have more details.

In addition to the rules and normal accoutrements of figures, dice and tape measure you need a pack of normal playing cards.

Offline Seal

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2022, 05:17:11 AM »
Thank you guys for posting this information.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2022, 09:50:48 AM »
The price is most certainly right. :D

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2022, 02:55:09 PM »
A fast look shows the fire support and melee support rules - most interesting. Have to go out for provisions, but will read the rest in a bit.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2022, 07:47:24 PM »
I am about to start turn 3 in my game and am enjoying. I have had to double and triple read a couple of sentences here and there due to the compact nature of writing and have e-mailed one question (good designer responses), but overall the text is good and there is quite a lot going on under the bonnett.

The Quick Reference Sheet is superb

The sides certainly get to grips quickly with the potential for double moves.

I am using the Warlord 13.5mm figures and have halved all measurements. I am doing two brigades per side on a 4’ x 3½’ table.

I am basically putting a French infantry and cavalry brigade against a Prussian large infantry brigade and a standard infantry brigade both with a musketeer and Landwehr mix. That should give enough different unit types against each other to get a good feel of the rules and outcomes.

Please note that today the rules have been update to V1.2

Offline Paintdog

• Lurker
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2023, 11:09:10 PM »
Norm, I'm going to try out the rules tomorrow.
Many thanks for your thread contribution & your blog.

donald

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2023, 12:08:12 AM »
Ah, missed this before, downloaded now.
Will make a note to look for WI418 when I'm next at the FLGS.

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2023, 07:42:43 AM »
The rules were updated to V1.5 a couple of days ago. You can look at the document called patches to see what the changes are rather than having to reprint everything out.