Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:17:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686458
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Questions- Restarting 28mm 1879 Anglo Zulu War. Which figures and buildings?  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Many years ago, back in 2008, I built armies for the 1879 Anglo Zulu War using Black-Tree metal and Wargames Factory plastic figures.
I also wrote painting guides for Wargames Factory and a Zulu army guide in 2009.

I want to revisit the period, paint some new figures and make some scenery.

I have a few Empress Figures and Perry Figures.
I note that Warlord and Perry also have plastic sets of figures.

1) If you were starting now, which figures would you buy and which mix together well?

2) 4Ground (still available via Warlord) and Sarissa Precision have kits for Rorke's Drift - which is best? are there others to consider?

Thanks
Mick
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 02:31:18 PM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Online SteveBurt

• Mastermind
Perry and Victrix figures for the period are great and work well together. Empress are noticeably smaller

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
@steve
Victrix do not make Anglo Zulu War figures - do you mean Warlord?

Online SJWi

• Mastermind
Mick, I don't know what budget you have but Empress are £2 per figure, Perry metals £1.33 per figure. Perry plastics work out at c70p per figure and Warlord plastics £1 each .From what I can see a mix of Perry metals and plastics would be the best buy, and offer consistency in scale and sculpting style. The range also looks pretty comprehensive.   

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
My budget is not constrained so I will pick on the basis of quality of sculpt, compatibility and ease of painting.

I already have about 120 Wargames factory Zulus, which I want to replace with something nicer.
I am thinking of Perry plastic Zulus, because I will want at least 100 new figures.

British could be metal or plastic or both. I have had some metal sculpts that were rather disappointing.
I can remember that the pith hats are quite an issue.
I may buy a sample of each brand to try them out.

I will probably carve some scenery (part of Oscarsberg and Isandlwana hill) out of XPS foam.
I haven't decided whether to buy an MDF kit for Rorke's drift or to scratch build the buildings in XPS.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 09:07:07 AM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
It’s always subjective, but Perry plastics are probably your best (most historically accurate) option for Zulus, with Empress for their Imperial opponents.

I think the Redoubt Enterprises version of RD is still hard to beat.

And may I add a heartfelt thank you for your guides, which were immensely helpful when I first started out assembling forces for the period.

By coincidence, we’re planning a series of Zulu War games for the coming months, using suitably tweaked TMWWBK (Osprey) rules, which lend themselves to much larger actions than the skirmish level scenarios they appear to be written for.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
sjwalker51

Thank-you for the compliment. I am glad that you found the guides useful.
I may update them as I do this project if I can find a place to publish them - we will see.

I will also be using Dan Mersey's TMWWBK rules.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Hi Mick,

I wanted to pitch in with some suggestions, but waited for others to do likewise before replying.

If you look at my link on my Zulu Project I've just used Perry Miniatures plastics and metals with some modelling:
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=130369.0

I can provide some additional pictures of the Perry plastic Zulus too although the bases are not completed.

Hope this helps you.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Helen - I have already been looking at your project and I am am very impressed :-*.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Helen - I have already been looking at your project and I am am very impressed :-*.

Thank you. I'm hoping we will see the wagons from Michael Perry at some point.