Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:51:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Getting Started: Naval Wargaming With Ironclads in the American Civil War  (Read 634 times)

Offline muggins

• Assistant
  • goonhammer.com
    • Goonhammer
Hey everyone, I don't post often here but wanted to share my post about dipping my toes into ACW naval wargaming. It's been a ton of fun and especially because I get to do a lot of research on stuff I haven't read about before. Most of my ~30 years of reading has been about infantry warfare, big battles, government, etc.

https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-historicals-naval-wargaming-with-ironclads-in-the-american-civil-war/

Offline Kelly_

• Bookworm
  • ...the underscore is silent
Re: Getting Started: Naval Wargaming With Ironclads in the American Civil War
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 12:52:32 AM »
Good article, and seeing the model line side by side comparison was really helpful.

I have been to 3 of the sites that you mentioned, and Fort Sumter is definitely my favorite, well worth the ferry ride out and back, but it looks like the Hunley exhibition has had a lot of updates in the 10 years since my last visit so I will be putting that back on the list.

I have to take issue with the statement that Kinston is not really on the way to anywhere though... if you drive through interior NC as much as we do, you would know Kinston is the gateway to Sandy Bottom, NC (car erupts in laughter every time we pass the sign)
If my wife asks, I only spent half as much as I wanted to...

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 04:42:33 AM »
Muggins, thanks for this, almost inspirational! I started ACW naval back in the 1990s when the Peter Pig ships were first released, plus I was travelling a lot to the USA and picked up quite a few books on the subject. I hadn't played it for over twenty years, but dusted it off three weeks ago and have since run three games of Peter Pig's "Hammerin' Iron" for my little group of gaming mates. Even those who don't particularly like (a) naval or (b) ACW really enjoy it. Now at V3 the PP rules have been gradually refined but still retain a "fun" element to them. Recommended!   

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 05:52:48 AM »
Now at V3 the PP rules have been gradually refined but still retain a "fun" element to them. Recommended!

Wait, V3? I was just about to progress from V1 to V2!
Anyway - looking forward to the next instalment, muggins  8)
John

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 08:22:19 AM »
Vanvlak, sorry, my mistake. I've just re-checked and I am using the 2011 edition. The intro would seem to indicate these are V2 as they only reference the original release back in the mists of time known as 1985!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 09:44:30 AM »
Vanvlak, sorry, my mistake. I've just re-checked and I am using the 2011 edition. The intro would seem to indicate these are V2 as they only reference the original release back in the mists of time known as 1985!
Ah, good - I will therefore soon update from 1985 standard. Those were the days!  :D
I am also curious to see the Dawn of Iron ruleset in action in the next instalment.