Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:32:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: new Perry Napoleonic rules on the table  (Read 1620 times)

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
new Perry Napoleonic rules on the table
« on: September 24, 2022, 12:19:06 PM »
Available as a free download from the Perry site, Jervis Johnson, together with the Perry's, have put out a set of fast play rules intended for demo games at conventions.

I had a go yesterday with two brigades per side and really enjoyed them. There is a bit of a lengthy write-up over on the blog, that follows the course of my game, highlighting mechanics along the way.

Anyway, I enjoyed them and they will be making the table again.

LINK

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2022/09/napoleonic-rules-from-perry-miniatures.html

Offline OB

• Mastermind
Re: new Perry Napoleonic rules on the table
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 04:23:20 PM »
That's a comprehensive write up Norm.  Thanks for taking the trouble.  It all sounds promising.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 10:28:47 PM »
Great review as always Norm.  Be crazy NOT to download these.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 10:40:29 AM »
I am crazy, but will download them.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 06:27:41 PM »
Thanks for the review, may have to give these a try.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 06:29:17 PM »
Nice review.  Thanks.  I've downloaded them, but haven't read them yet.  That's on my list...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Mark

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 02:39:52 PM »
Hi Norm,

Great write up - with this and the batrep in the latest WI I am tempted to take these for a spin. I know you had French vs Prussians, who have the same number of figures per battalion listed, but can you identify anywhere where the number of figures per unit makes any difference to the game? As far as I can see, these requirements on troop numbers are only really visual, especially as the movement rules do not contain any restrictions on manouevre.

Potentially some impact around unit footprint?

Cheers,

Mark

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 04:12:09 PM »
Hi Mark, the only two things that I can see being relevant are;

1. The visual / aesthetic

2. The frontage. This has some implications, a big frontage means that 45 degree fire zone is wider and potentially captures more potential targets, but against that is the restriction of attacking closest unit and you have less chance of bringing a neighbouring unit in to provide fire support.

A further downside is that if you are a large unit in line, smaller frontages attacking you might be able to bring up an extra unit to also contact the target. 2 against 1 allows the attacker to claim an extra MELEE support  (different from brigade support) and any casualties inflicted can be shared between the two attacking units, so their respective stamina can hold out for longer, probably enough to see the attack eventually through to a successful conclusion.

On the flip side, some big Austrian units get higher tenacity, but surprisingly the big Russian units don’t and yet one assumes that tenacity should be one of their traits.

THOUGH In the Russian Fate Deck, tenacity bonus is quite well represented in the suit cards.

Lots and lots and lots going on in what on first exposure seems a small game engine!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 04:22:30 PM by Norm »

Offline Mark

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 08:47:10 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts Norm. I am looking at how my Anglo Portuguese might line up against the French. Interestingly enough, however, doing a bit of research earlier online it looks like average battalion strength for both sides was in fact fairly consistent when on campaign!

Like you, I don't have a mass of space, so will use the suggested mod of halving the suggested numbers of troops per unit, or I won't have sufficient space to deploy the required numbers to the table! My napoleonics are 1/72 figures acquired when modelzone closed down nearly 10 years ago, and are going to need a rebasing so I can represent the formations. I think that 1"x0.5" bases with 2 figured on in battalions of 12 will work - 6x2 in line, 4x3 in attack column and 2x6 in March column - and the 6 bases will also form a nicely square square!

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2022, 09:20:38 PM »
Mark, that basing will be a good fit for the rules (and many others of course).

There is a suggestion on the Pendraken forum about putting a British list together;

Link

https://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,21995.0.html

Offline Mark

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2022, 10:15:22 PM »
The comments on the cards made me chuckle!

Had come to much the same conclusions myself. Line and light infantry can carry over from the French list, jager detachments from the Prussian or Austrian for Rifles, can use existing profiles for light and heavy dragoons from a variety of lists and the horse and foot artillery are copy and paste for all nations.

Possibly space for a full Rifle battalion or musket armed skirmish detachments, rocket artillery and maybe a specific Guards profile with an extra tenacity to represent the generally higher manpower? Possibly a "militia" level infantry unit for early Portuguese? For the cards, maybe one could be a fire bonus to represent the additional live fire training.