Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:28:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sword and Spear Fantasy  (Read 1269 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Sword and Spear Fantasy
« on: September 22, 2022, 04:25:57 PM »

Quite a good write up on the North Star site here:
https://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=9124&fbclid=IwAR11wBjKkAqXrRX8pfPAmHTvdJe_gUPEkRYEFIhdcqVR5XbdCdLAotPqe3o

Does anyone have any idea how the magic system (I'm assuming it has one) works?

Cheers

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Sword and Spear Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 05:08:31 PM »
We haven't played it for years, so I had to look it up.

Each magic-user gets a D6 of magic points plus level bonus (0, +1 or +2) to use each turn, and each can cast a spell in each phase of the turn. Spells vary by magic-point cost with extra cost for medium or long range. There are four basic spells: boost, attack (with two forms - shooting or morale, essentially), protect and rally/heal. So it's quite simple but also a bit different (multiple spells cast per turn, potentially). I can't remember if we ever used spellcasters when we played.

I must give the game another spin at some point; I recall that we really enjoyed it, but then I got back into HOTT, and with that and Kings of War, the rank-and-flank itch has been fairly thoroughly scratched.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 09:48:22 PM »
I'm playing it right now. Very good. The magic users are as Hobgoblin described, very tactical, not over powering

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 09:41:50 AM »
I'm playing it right now. Very good. The magic users are as Hobgoblin described, very tactical, not over powering

Thanks Nick. Sounds very promising; like Midgard from James at some point  8)

Offline Polkovnik

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 02:27:33 PM »
Each magic-user gets a D6 of magic points plus level bonus (0, +1 or +2) to use each turn, and each can cast a spell in each phase of the turn. Spells vary by magic-point cost with extra cost for medium or long range. There are four basic spells: boost, attack (with two forms - shooting or morale, essentially), protect and rally/heal. So it's quite simple but also a bit different (multiple spells cast per turn, potentially).

That's a good overview.
I deliberately kept the magic system very generic, as the rules themselves are intended to be generic fantasy rules, with no set army lists or special rules for particular armies. Also it makes the rules easy to pick up and play, with little preparation required.
The spell types cover the main effects of most typical battle spells (in literature, other fantasy wargames, rpgs etc) without the need for long lists of different spells. So if your wizard carries out a magical attack, you might imagine he is casting a fireball, or calling down poisonous rain, or opening up a chasm in the ground, but the effect is the same. If he boosts a friendly unit by giving it an extra dice in melee combat he could be giving them giant strength, or flaming swords, or super speed.