Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:55:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690823
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mallos Old World (WFB) & Oathmark Project Log  (Read 17388 times)

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
Re: Mallos Old World (WFB) & Oathmark Project Log
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2021, 12:22:03 AM »
I wanted a bit of a cleanser after painting the last batch of Albions and whilst starting to build up the next selection of humans. I got a number of odds and ends for Slaanesh for Christmas to bulk out the models I got as part of the recent AoS starter set mixed with the Dark Elf/daughters of Khaine. This won't be a huge project, just a handful of units, mostly the daemonette stuff I just wanted to paint for fun. But I didn't want to use up the old chaos warriors for this, as I've already got some partially done for a mortal nurgle army and wanted something different for Slaanesh, more greed & excess than the standard 'spikes & tentacles & whips' that warhammer chaos tends to show.

There are a few things that need finishing on these; I'd not decided on a colour for the hammer shafts as I wanted something there that would break up the colours a bit more but didn't want to add too much more to the scheme. I've left the daemonette eyes, as I'll decide on them when I paint the unit of actual daemonettes and I need to finish the basing, couldn't decide if I wanted to stick with Chaos wastes/grey all over or do something else for the none flagstone part. The helmet horns are still drying from the wash here as well, so they will get a bit of touch up later too.

I was going to add the blue-green colour of the gems inside of the little triangle things on the hammers, but this felt like it would be even more work and I wanted to knock these models out quickly and keep clearing back log. I can always go back and add stuff like this over the summer.

I've also got some old decals for finishing off her shield, but that involves digging around in the storage area & I'm not really feeling up for that today!

I'm still getting used to my new phones camera, its incredibly harsh on my paint jobs right now! The daemonettes skin is much lighter than that and the colour transition on the shield is a lot softer in real life, especially with the dark section near the top!

I really liked converting these models but it was slow to get them basecoated, there are some horrid design choices on how the were modelled. I think the flagstone bases they come with are nice but they are a total pain to fix up enough to use on my usual mdf bases, I'm not looking forward to having to clean up another batch of them later on. I regret not taking off the leaves from the stones, as I've no idea how to paint them now, I'm honestly tempted to go with a snow theme so I can hide them! Cleaning that shield up was mission, took me ages to get it nice and smooth after shaving off all the AoS iconography! Obviously the basing I've fit them on here makes them a much larger footprint than normal chaos warriors would have, so they may end up just sitting on the shelf than being gamed with, but that's a problem for worrying about another day!

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2021, 05:47:43 AM »
Superb! Love the robe colour. Autumn colours for the leaves I think would be a good choice but covering them, with snow would be easier I think.

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2021, 07:32:56 PM »
Superb! Love the robe colour. Autumn colours for the leaves I think would be a good choice but covering them, with snow would be easier I think.

Thanks Codsticker! I really appreciate the comment! Sorry for the slow reply, these past few months has been crazy for me and I've not managed to keep up with too much of the hobby!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I've not had much time to hobby over the past few months- I've been working from home for 16 months, had issues with returning work from home equipment when my work contract ran out (equipment I was reliant on to finish uni projects) , still managed to graduated Uni (from home), started a new and very difficult job (from home) and honestly felt too wiped to do much hobby over that time. I did manage a few bits n pieces and I'm slowly getting back into the swing of it, but motivation is still lacking right now.

I also found myself feeling pretty nostalgic; I've seen a huge number of changes to the hobby recently and many of them not for the better. I found myself scrolling through a lot old projects over on warseer forum, but it very much looks like the site wont be there very much longer. Next to no traffic and the new owners haven't logged on in a year now. So coupled with a couple of threads I saw over on another forum (not particular pleasant ones at that) I decided to make a more conscious effort to post on the forums that do still have good traffic/communities and I want to spend more time and effort in painting threads, commenting on peoples work, rather than waste effort in threads that don't bring as much good into the hobby. Having less time & energy to actually hobby over the last 6 months or so has led me to getting my fix on discussion boards and I found they really don't bring the same joy fix that painting logs/blogs do.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My first real post graduation hobby, I forced myself to sit down for a whole evening and work on a new model just to get a feel for plastic again!

I'm still messing about with some of the detailing, but I've converted a new model for my Goblins; The great goblin king of Albion!

Riding to battle on a stolen chariot, which is pulled by his loyal (and rather well fed and fattened) wolves, Gristle & Viscera, and accompanied by Smaksak his Snotling hornblower & standard bearer.

Skragnit, the Great Goblin King of Albion has summoned the most loyal of his Wolf Lords and is preparing to move against his enemies. The Dwarves. And the Elves. And the Humans. And the Vampire Lords. And the Lords of Chaos. And the other Greenskins. Oh, and that goblins that looked at 'im funny last night. In fact, pretty much anyone and everyone in Albion.

I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to paint him. I've gotten kind of comfortable with my painting style in recent years, enough so that I've been happy with the results. But I was looking over some of the old Warseer WFB logs last night and I had a huge ping of nostalgia seeing all the old style painting. The more gritty, realistic (well, as realistic as you can be for fantasy!) look has always alluded me and I've tried many times to capture it in my own painting and falling way short. I've been mulling over old, old copies of White Dwarf and I just can't work out how to imitate that old chaotic looking painting style. But I'd love to bring a more gritty paint scheme into this model. (This would come at the risk at wanting to repaint my more cartoony styled goblins!)

I have another copy of the same gloomspite boss model and whilst I was originally going to give him the Necromunda treatment, I will probably make another version of the Goblin King, but on foot. In fact, it's likely I will buy another starter set and end up with a 3rd as well so will end up with a mounted squig version as well!

Whats even better is that I made him over the weekend prior and this week my Oathmark Bane of Kings arrived with chariot rules! It was perfect timing! This model was meant to be!

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2021, 11:02:20 PM »
That’s a great looking kit bash- i’m looking forward to seeing it with paint! I have a bunch of the Oathmark giant wolves myself (I used slightly smaller metal wolves with the riders), and using some to pull chariots looks really effective! Thanks for the inspiration!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2021, 11:03:01 AM »
Great kitbash! It really looks the part. Perfect work for the stout Oathmark wolves.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2021, 09:05:55 PM »
Thats a brilliant model, looking forward to seeing it painted

I recognise most of the bits, but where is the chariot itself from?

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2021, 08:04:20 PM »
That’s a great looking kit bash- i’m looking forward to seeing it with paint! I have a bunch of the Oathmark giant wolves myself (I used slightly smaller metal wolves with the riders), and using some to pull chariots looks really effective! Thanks for the inspiration!

Great kitbash! It really looks the part. Perfect work for the stout Oathmark wolves.

Thats a brilliant model, looking forward to seeing it painted

I recognise most of the bits, but where is the chariot itself from?

Thanks! I'm really pleased how the model turned out and glad to see people like it! I definitely think the thicker oathmark wolves look menacing pulling a chariot!

@Sir_Theo the chariot itself is a victrix Celt chariot. Great kit, Simple enough design that it would work as a base for loads of races! The scythes were added from spear tips though, its one thing the kit doesn't come with.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2021, 11:53:50 AM »
Brilliant, thanks. I might have to pick up some of those and do something similar!  :D

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2021, 06:39:58 PM »
I'm massively behind with this years painting. I've damaged my eye quite badly, somewhat in thanks to spending close to two years at home stuck behind a screen. So been finding painting very difficult as of late. Been painting when I can manage though, but have mostly painted some odd characters and terrain for our '95 Necromunda campaign as its been easier than trying to batch paint units for fantasy.

(Haven't stopped buying more units though! I've very close to having collected all the old classic minis I've been after now! Finally got all but one mini for my dark elves that I've been chasing, so looking forward to finally getting to start on that project properly!)

Still putting paint to fantasy units when I'm able. Been slowly working on bits n bobs when I can. Been working on and off on this snotling pump wagon for months, when ever I can manage five miniatures on it! Getting close to finished- got a couple more snotlings left to do as I want to cram more on there and then the base. Colours are a little washed out and its difficult to get the camera into focus (again with my eye) so apologies for the wonkyness.

The wheel made from a shield has been done in my dwarves colour scheme- something they are not too pleased about!  lol

Originally the wizard snotling was going to go in the big unit of goblins, but he looked so good on the top, so I'll have to paint up another to pop in the unit now! Everything from the new plastic blood bowl kit, I've another couple of the kits stashed away and I might pick up a couple more and just keep adding snotling swarms!  :D

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2022, 03:28:16 PM »
More WIP on my Slaanesh Mortals Army

Its taking me ages to get these done mainly due to the eye injury and I still have the shields to do for the spearman unit (which I'm dreading as the rounded shape is going to be a huge paint to paint to match the colours!) There are still some small details to do on them too, but would rather have them 'battle ready' and go back to them at a later date!

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2022, 04:42:41 PM »
Neat idea using ancient Greeks for low-level initiates! The ‘fade in’ you achieved on the chaos warrior shields looks pretty amazing, i can totally see how matching that would be a challenge. The group of figures looks great as they are, anyway!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2022, 07:01:12 PM »
Neat idea using ancient Greeks for low-level initiates! The ‘fade in’ you achieved on the chaos warrior shields looks pretty amazing, i can totally see how matching that would be a challenge. The group of figures looks great as they are, anyway!

I am echoing Pattus again it seems. Great work!