Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:41:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685059
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Beginning a journey into Rangers of Shadowdeep  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Estarriol

• Librarian
Beginning a journey into Rangers of Shadowdeep
« on: September 29, 2022, 11:14:12 PM »
I've spent literally years deciding whether to pursue a solo project into wither Rangers or Sellswords and Spellslingers. If I am honest, I actually prefer the rules and gameplay of the latter, but the scenarios of the former have finally led me in.

One day I'll come up with a linked campaign for SS&SS to rival ROSD, but that day is not this one!
I've spent a week or two building up some bits for Mission 1. First some monsters...

And then some clue tokens :

And finally we gathered some scenery for the main event. I planned a quiet evening, but both of my children wondered through for a peek and made me promise to let them have a go. My fault for introducing them to heroquest I presume! I haven't managed to paint a dedicated band of Rangers for this game, so my Frostgrave warband has been recruited to fight on behalf of Alladore.

The Heroes gathered in the center of the deserted village. It was too quiet....

Zombies and rats started to close in...

Asterope, Valeria's rather ferocious cat seems to have a taste for rat...

Our mysterious elven Tracker managed to rescue a bard hiding in one of the houses...

All in all it was a fun gentle intro to the game. Maybe I rolled fairly well in the opening turns, but I didn't feel particularly hard pressed at any point. Sure, my Rogue got taken down by a particularly persistent zombie, but I had plenty of backup on the way had he lasted just one more turn.
My Ranger reached level one, my Rogue made a full recovery, and the gold and jewels I discovered hidden outside the village I turned over to the Crown to ensure that my Rogue didnt fall behind on Progression Points.

I'm looking forward to pursuing the mysterious tracks into the woods soon.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Beginning a journey into Rangers of Shadowdeep
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 01:30:29 AM »
Looks like you are off to a good start.  Maybe a family campaign is in your future...
2024: B: 0; P: 43; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Seal

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 05:26:14 AM »
Excellent! I especially like the spiders. Our group found the scenarios got better as we went. The Bridge Guards (I think that’s the scenario name) was our favorite of the scenarios presented in the main book.

Offline RSDean

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2022, 11:27:37 AM »
Excellent! I especially like the spiders. Our group found the scenarios got better as we went. The Bridge Guards (I think that’s the scenario name) was our favorite of the scenarios presented in the main book.

A friend and I are running a 2-player co-op campaign. The Bridge Guards was a tough one; half our party was down and one died permanently, but we are on to the tower today, so we’ll see if that’s even more challenging, or another romp…

Offline Binky

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 09:27:00 PM »
All looking good so far. My ROSD rule book arrived recently and I'm starting to get bits and pieces to start playing myself soon.