Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:51:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Question For Rampant Family Fans  (Read 1276 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Question For Rampant Family Fans
« on: September 15, 2022, 02:27:06 AM »
I’ve played Dragon Rampant and greatly enjoy it. I’m looking forward to getting my HYW forces together for Lion Rampant. I own the blue books, and the university supplements, for the others games in the series, thinking they’d have scenarios and/or rules I could lift to fit into DR/LR.

My question is… do the other games in the * Rampant line feel different enough I should consider building out forces for them as well? I’m thinking TMWWBK, Pikemens Lament, and Rebels and Patriots
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 03:48:43 PM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
Re: Question For Rampant Family Fans
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2022, 02:44:37 AM »
I don't have the second edition of LR, but I have and have played the first editions of DR and LR and they're pretty much the same game with DR having added fantastical elements.  Units from LR will port directly into DR and the standard Human LR units will port into DR.

My assumption -though if folks know otherwise feel free to correct me- is that Lion Rampant 2nd edition is very similar to what came before.

As to whether you feel you should make more units, that's up to you.  You may just want to add a couple fantasy units to your existing human army.   As you may have noticed, there is a certain degree of samey-ness even among DR forces, so if you want variety and to build a DR army, make it one with a very different composition of unit types than your LR force.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 04:26:32 AM »
I only have Lion Rampant V1 and Dragon Rampant - but of the two, Dragon Rampant is more useful.  The scenarios in each are pretty weak, and I wouldn't say they justify the books themselves.  The army lists are similar, and it's easier to simply ignore some of the Dragon Rampant options than to add magic/fantasy elements to Lion Rampant.

I have not see Lion Rampant V2.

I don't imagine you need to "build forces" for any of the books, as they're very much "use what you have" kind of books.  Your same six or 12 models in one game could be used as  variety of different units in both books depending on what you feel like for the day.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 07:24:49 AM »
The core rules are pretty much the same across the titles and the periods they cover.  The one that is most different is The Men Who Would be Kings - with changes to the activation system. But each set does have a different flavour and focus.

So you are not going to get a radically different game for the different rules. I would say it is more about which periods / conflicts appeal to you, and building forces for those. Then if you want to do an ACW skirmish you can use Rebels and Patriots and have a different looking and feeling game, but with largely the same core rules.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2022, 10:41:59 AM »
One big difference in the later period rules is that units get free activations of certain types. The v2 rules extend the period a bit, add extra scenarios, and also fix some of the slightly broken bits in v1. Also rules for variable unit sizes and some other inter3sting stuff. Leaders all get the ability to retold one failed roll. We had several v1 games where one side basically did nothing all evening, which spoils the fun somewhat.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2022, 11:51:29 AM »
Yes. I think getting some free actions would be nice for Dragon Rampant as I’ve also played games where you just roll under a seven on two d6 most of the time. But in an age of mind crushing complexity in Age of Sigmar I do like the rules.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 09:32:46 AM by sir_shvantselot »

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2022, 03:20:19 PM »
I am sure you have seen my reviews on these alternate games, but if not let me know and I will link them here.   lol
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2022, 08:05:44 PM »
My question is… do the other games in the * Rampant line feel different enough I should consider building out forces for them as well? I’m thinking TMWWBK, Pikemens Lament, and Rebels and Patriots
My answer to this is Yes. In part because R&P and TMWBK have differences to the core rules to make them a better representation of their periods (Pikemans Lament less so but still a good set) but also because you could build forces for them relatively inexpensively, so why not. :)

Edit: meant to say Pikemens's Lament

Offline Hummster

• Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2022, 09:09:17 PM »
TMWBK makes changes to unit sizes as Regular and Irregular cavalry units are 8 strong, Tribal Infantry are 16 strong and Irregular Cavalry 10 strong.