Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:13:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Valour and Fortitude...  (Read 3149 times)

Online Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
Valour and Fortitude...
« on: October 01, 2022, 05:33:44 PM »
Free rules in this month's WI Magazine. Any of the Brethren had a peruse yet?
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Re: Valour and Fortitude...
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 05:42:41 PM »
Harry. Already a few reviews/comments on other threads posted about 2 weeks ago.

Online Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2022, 06:47:35 PM »
I'm going to deploy the 50 year old Airfix Veterans and have a pop with 'em!

🤪

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 04:59:52 PM »
I downloaded the free pdfs, but I'm still waiting for my Wi and my paper copy of these to arrive.  I'll read 'em then...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Sweign

• Student
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 03:11:24 AM »
 Poor Dan. I think there are two sets of errata or amendments already.

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 04:32:56 AM »
I took them for a spin, as per here. LINK

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2022/09/napoleonic-rules-from-perry-miniatures.html

The WI has a nice looking scenario and replay. As said, errata already means that you will likely want to play from the PDF’s, but the Perry site also has an errata sheet that you could use with the nice rules that come with WI.

As my blog post shows, they are intended for big multi player, multi brigade games and so when I tested them with just two brigades per side, is showed that the collapse of a brigade was a bit too dramatic and the game swung on that event. The rules author read my post and suggested in a game of 3 brigades or less per side, the brigade should collapse in a more controlled way.

He made a suggestion, which I include in my post, while he considers the matter further, which will likely see something added to one of the Perry downloads as an optional consideration.

I like much of the stream-lining that have gone into the rules.

Offline Mark

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 03:15:20 PM »
Harry, knowing your predilection for a red coat you might find this list for Anglo-Portuguese I knocked up useful.

Not played a game yet, but the profiles are pretty steadily based on the existing lists. Biggest change is in the cavalry, where they have less tenacity but higher melee to show the good mounts and equipment but tendency to go galloping off after the first charge.

Three of the fate cards are selected from the existing lists. One "British Musketry" is a fire variation of the all-encompassing melee boost available to the Austrians.

If you use it let me know if it works!

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 03:58:14 PM »
Harry, knowing your predilection for a red coat you might find this list for Anglo-Portuguese I knocked up useful.

Not played a game yet, but the profiles are pretty steadily based on the existing lists. Biggest change is in the cavalry, where they have less tenacity but higher melee to show the good mounts and equipment but tendency to go galloping off after the first charge.

Three of the fate cards are selected from the existing lists. One "British Musketry" is a fire variation of the all-encompassing melee boost available to the Austrians.

If you use it let me know if it works!

Thanks, Mark.  That'll come in handy for me too.  I have a British Division waiting for a go at these.  I should get my Wi and paper copy next week...

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 04:31:54 PM »
Jervis Johnson has said that he expects British and Spanish army lists to be up un the Perry site sometime in October.

Online Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2022, 08:27:04 AM »
Mark, old chap, absolutely spiffing. His Grace would have approved muchly.

Offline Redmist1122

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2022, 04:39:12 AM »
I took them for a spin, as per here. LINK

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2022/09/napoleonic-rules-from-perry-miniatures.html

The WI has a nice looking scenario and replay. As said, errata already means that you will likely want to play from the PDF’s, but the Perry site also has an errata sheet that you could use with the nice rules that come with WI.

As my blog post shows, they are intended for big multi player, multi brigade games and so when I tested them with just two brigades per side, is showed that the collapse of a brigade was a bit too dramatic and the game swung on that event. The rules author read my post and suggested in a game of 3 brigades or less per side, the brigade should collapse in a more controlled way.

He made a suggestion, which I include in my post, while he considers the matter further, which will likely see something added to one of the Perry downloads as an optional consideration.

I like much of the stream-lining that have gone into the rules.

A really good read through of your play-play so to speak of each turn.  This answered a lot of glaring questions I had about game play.  Mostly on the Fire and Melee values in the charts and their meaning.  I didn't see those were the initial start die needed to fire and melee with, then adding in any modifiers.  Again, greatly appreciate your insights and talk through of the action and the corrections from the author.  Thanks again!
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2022, 05:29:54 AM »
Thanks.The army lists give attack values (the number of dice) on the quick reference sheet, the modifiers work in two ways.

Firstly the section Attack Value Modifiers, modifies the number of dice rolled

Secondly the TESTS table modifies the actual scores needed on the dice to create hits.

I note at the Perry site that version 1.3 of the rules is out. If one looks at the patches file, which indicates updates, there are only 4 clarifications and they relate to pages 3 and 6 for those who print their rules out from the downloadable PDF.

Also the army lists have grown to include British peninsular and British Waterloo forces.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2022, 06:20:52 PM »
I've read mine a few times now, and have downloaded all the army lists, etc.....I think my gaming group and I will give them a spin one of these weeks....

Offline Mark

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2022, 07:38:42 PM »
Well my attempt at a British Peninsula list wasn't far away! lol

Offline Redmist1122

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2022, 09:46:23 PM »
Thanks.The army lists give attack values (the number of dice) on the quick reference sheet, the modifiers work in two ways.

Firstly the section Attack Value Modifiers, modifies the number of dice rolled

Secondly the TESTS table modifies the actual scores needed on the dice to create hits.

I note at the Perry site that version 1.3 of the rules is out. If one looks at the patches file, which indicates updates, there are only 4 clarifications and they relate to pages 3 and 6 for those who print their rules out from the downloadable PDF.

Also the army lists have grown to include British peninsular and British Waterloo forces.

Again, reading through your AAR was a lifesaver...I was really close on call off the game for this morning until read your report.  It was fun to break out some 15mm Naps, I played my Prussians, and my buddy was the French.  We did about a 150 points per side with a nice mix of troops coming out to five brigades..so a small/light division.  The one thing I will be doing is adding in some "How-to's"  for the QRS...We're still a bit foggy on the valour tests to shaken to a shattered brigade effects...and it's effect on the overall army.  So, any insights on that would be great appreciated again.