Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:29:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A&A Miniatures- Crusader Miniatures *Macedonia* Size Comparison  (Read 4692 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: A&A Miniatures- Crusader Miniatures *Macedonia* Size Comparison
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2022, 10:32:57 AM »
I realise that you asked for Macedonians, but there is a comprehensive review (almost along identical lines to your query) for Carthaginians from those same lines (and same sculptor) here.

It's worth noting that the same sculpting dollies appear to be those used by Mark Sims for the Macedonians too, so the review linked above may in fact be even more pertinent than first glance suggests... I hope, anyway! :)

OK, I don't think Mark has used the same dollies in both ranges for the Macedonians, which is why I was asking about a comparison. If I thought he had used the same dollies I would not be asking the question :)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2022, 10:54:39 AM »
Well, on the A&A webstore these looked very similar to these, to the extent that it looks like the same dolly to me. And it's clear enough from the blog review that dollies look to have also been shared (at least in the Carthaginian ranges) between A&A and Crusader.

I think it's fair to say that even if there is a 1-2mm height discrepancy (well within the normal human range of variation even within a closed population group), the other parts like weapons, overall proportion, thickness of limbs, and other scale details are certainly very close/compatible.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2022, 11:57:41 AM »
Well, on the A&A webstore these looked very similar to these, to the extent that it looks like the same dolly to me. And it's clear enough from the blog review that dollies look to have also been shared (at least in the Carthaginian ranges) between A&A and Crusader.

You might very well have a point. We will find out when I order a couple of packs from A&A and Crusader. [/quote]

Definitely not the same dollies. A&A Miniatures are bulkier and taller then the Crusader Mini's and it is very noticeable. I also ordered some A&A Miniatures are Crusader Mini's Cargthaginian Vets (which also look very similar- possible made from the same dollies) and same again; A&A Miniatures are bulkier and taller then the Crusader Mini's.

So, ended up costing me as I can't use the same miniatures in the same unit  >:(
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 01:04:08 PM by Atheling »

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2022, 12:40:27 PM »
I'm actually quite adept at putting units together from various manufacturers.
I am aware! :)

Also, when I searched myself for the comparisons you asked about, most of the first page of results were all links to this and similar questions you'd asked here and in other forums!  And to be fair, I often refer to your previous threads myself as I often have the exact same questions.  lol 

However, what's good for one army might not be good for another.

[...]

At the end of the day it's all down to what one wants in their army and I want my Macedonians to be the same size and TBH, nothing you can say is going to make me change my mind :)

I wouldn't dream of trying to change your mind! :P I was only trying to help you in finding the answer to your original question:

Hi folks,

I'm wondering if anyone has any photo's of a size comparison between the A&A Miniatures and Crusader Miniatures (sold by North Star) Macedonian ranges please?

I realise that both ranges were sculpted by Mark Simms but they are years apart. Just wondering they would fit together nicely?

Any help appreciated :)

Of course, if you've bought packs of each anyway, then I won't trouble you further. :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2022, 01:29:20 PM »
I am aware! :)

Also, when I searched myself for the comparisons you asked about, most of the first page of results were all links to this and similar questions you'd asked here and in other forums!  And to be fair, I often refer to your previous threads myself as I often have the exact same questions.  lol

As have I  lol lol lol 

I wouldn't dream of trying to change your mind! :P I was only trying to help you in finding the answer to your original question

Yeah, sorry about that. I think I was way to blunt and could have phrased that in a more liberal manner.

Of course, if you've bought packs of each anyway, then I won't trouble you further. :)

I'll be sure to post them up.

Though, (he says in whispered tones!!) I am beginning to look at a Later Carthaginian army now so your comments re: relative sizes might be spot on! Oops! :)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2022, 01:47:19 PM »
Though, (he says in whispered tones!!) I am beginning to look at a Later Carthaginian army now so your comments re: relative sizes might be spot on! Oops! :)

lol lol lol

Offline Atheling

• Elder God

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2022, 07:36:29 PM »
Lol you guys are awesome entertainment. lol

We aim to please  lol

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2022, 12:43:36 PM »

Here is a Crusader Macedonian Pikeman with A&A Bowman and Javelin fellow
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2022, 01:37:21 PM »

Here is a Crusader Macedonian Pikeman with A&A Bowman and Javelin fellow

Thanks.

Is it the perspective of the camera or is the javelin guy smaller than the archer?

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2022, 06:17:02 PM »
Fractionally smaller. I just went and looked at the figures. But not all of them are. There are 4 bowmen poses and 4 javelin poses, 4 slinger poses and by the leg positions you can tell some share the same dollies.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 06:19:03 PM by vodkafan »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2022, 05:42:54 PM »
Fractionally smaller. I just went and looked at the figures. But not all of them are. There are 4 bowmen poses and 4 javelin poses, 4 slinger poses and by the leg positions you can tell some share the same dollies.

Thanks Vodkafan. They should match very well. :)

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2022, 11:44:25 AM »
Atheling
Mate it doesnt matter what size the figures you paint are .. you make them look Bloody Sublime ..
what a paint job and units you have made ..so sooooooooooooooo Jealous .. lol lol
 Bravo old boy .. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Fyi
The crusader Horses are enormous .. and fit no other range .. ever .. even the Numidian "Ponies "look like draft horses ..
Cheers

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2022, 12:08:50 PM »
Atheling
Mate it doesnt matter what size the figures you paint are .. you make them look Bloody Sublime ..
what a paint job and units you have made ..so sooooooooooooooo Jealous .. lol lol
 Bravo old boy .. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Fyi
The crusader Horses are enormous .. and fit no other range .. ever .. even the Numidian "Ponies "look like draft horses ..
Cheers

Thanks  lol