Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:36:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: “And it was all yellow”  (Read 2486 times)

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: “And it was all yellow”
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2022, 03:58:43 PM »
Lovely looking unit! I quite like the striking yellow, too.

Offline Friends of General Haig

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2022, 07:17:52 PM »
Cheers, Nick 👍

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2022, 04:31:00 PM »
Thy look GREAT!!!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." - Richard Adams

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2022, 06:37:42 AM »
Many thanks, Terry  :)

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2022, 11:21:33 AM »
I'm impressed that you're persevering with the Swedes. I'm finding one of their infantry units very frustrating to try to re-create, to be honest.  I suspect that not many of their officers wore sashes, and it's surprisingly hard to find suitable figures. Last week we had to ditch some pikemen because they were wearing armour on their arms, which I think the Swedes didn't wear. Now I've just found out that their sergeants probably didn't carry halberds, which is a bit of a shame when I have 4 otherwise suitable figures carrying them. I think I'm only going to do the one unit unless someone brings out some perfect figures.     

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2022, 06:13:18 AM »
Nice work on those, very bright looking chaps

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2022, 01:03:24 PM »
I'm impressed that you're persevering with the Swedes. I'm finding one of their infantry units very frustrating to try to re-create, to be honest.  I suspect that not many of their officers wore sashes, and it's surprisingly hard to find suitable figures. Last week we had to ditch some pikemen because they were wearing armour on their arms, which I think the Swedes didn't wear. Now I've just found out that their sergeants probably didn't carry halberds, which is a bit of a shame when I have 4 otherwise suitable figures carrying them. I think I'm only going to do the one unit unless someone brings out some perfect figures.   
Thanks, Paul.  The Swedes are interesting as there is is quite a lot documented about them, but still many holes in our knowledge.  Fingers crossed we get the long awaited Daniel S book that brings things together and adds some light on to the matter.  I’m always a bit dubious about anything being very definite for this period but it is frustrating when you have a particular vision for a unit and can’t get to it.  I’d not heard the halberd thing  :o . What did they carry instead? I’ve loads of halberd wielding sergeants in my Swedish force so a blooper there  :? .  Currently doing some bases of the Lifeguard company and that is going to be very much a compromise.

Nice work on those, very bright looking chaps
Many thanks, Bluewillow 👍.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2022, 06:14:37 PM »
I believe that it is thought that sergeants carried partisans. They'd better have done so, because I've just spent hours  converting mine so that they are
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 06:25:29 PM by Paul Richardson »

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2022, 07:55:57 AM »
I believe that it is thought that sergeants carried partisans. They'd better have done so, because I've just spent hours  converting mine so that they are
Very interesting, Paul.  I will bear that in mind and throw a few more partizans in for the officers in Swedish units 👍.  I have read that the Lifeguard pikemen carried partizans on ceremonial occasions so perhaps the Swedes had a thing for partizans in general?

I think that once the Yellow Regiment is finished I am done with Swedish infantry for a while. Just some dragoons to do, and more cavalry.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2022, 08:48:21 AM »
Andy: I should have mentioned that I'm concentrating on 1631 - 2, so a bit later than you. Things may have changed from the period you're working on. I'm sure the cavalry will prove just as problematic as the infantry. I've got enough riders for a large unit (all from TAG), but I'm not sure which horses to use. I have been using Calpe horses, but the ones I want are temporarily unavailable. Also about 20 of the riders are in the same pose, so some conversion work's going to be needed to add some variety.