Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:18:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689768
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 796
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Doodler's 15mm] 5 Leagues from the Borderlands campaign turn 3 (20 June)  (Read 19834 times)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: Starting a 15mm collection || Raiding Celts (11 Oct)
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2022, 09:27:10 PM »
Nice Celts! :)

Don't forget the wide range of 15mm Ancients and Medieval ranges too! Some nice stuff to be found there including camel riders, naked fanatics, heavily-armoured knights, horse archers, chariots, elephants, cannons and other sieges engines... Pretty much anything you could need that doesn't happen to be in one fantasy range or another. Historical figs can often be good value too, especially second-hand!

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2022, 11:32:46 PM »
Oh, it's a sore temptation. I'm trying to be and only look for historicals on ebay. Got a few Saxon peasants waiting their turn in the paint queue. Always nice to have some less explicitly military types - somehow I find it easier to pretend an unarmed figure has a particular weapon than an armed figure has a different weapon. There's some headology going on there, I'm sure.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2022, 08:44:34 AM »
Well, I have about one pack of War & Empire Syrian Archers going spare that I was planning to stick up on the LAF Bazaar... They could work really well as high elf archers (tall pointy helms, chainmail, ankle-length robes), but then again I doubt you'd want a pack of 20-odd figures with only two variations?

[...]somehow I find it easier to pretend an unarmed figure has a particular weapon than an armed figure has a different weapon.

I see your point here, and to some extent I agree. However, I find that works best if I only have one unit like that, as trying to remember who has what during a game when no weapons are depicted can be quote hard!

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2022, 10:16:28 AM »
That's very kind, but I'm actually doing alright for archers - went down the rabbit hole of trawling through Alternative Armies' individual figures and ended up getting quite a few archers from across their range of eras. Just have to work out how to play with them and their very bendy bows...

I see your point here, and to some extent I agree. However, I find that works best if I only have one unit like that, as trying to remember who has what during a game when no weapons are depicted can be quote hard!

Ah, there's one difference between the mass army gamer and the skirmish gamer - much easier to remember who's who when one's side is in the single figures. Especially when we start getting overly attached to the blighters, dooming them to oblivion with the next dice roll!

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
Starting a 15mm collection || Shuffling Fodder (19 Oct)
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2022, 09:42:02 PM »
Got the first batch of dead 'uns done which should cover a decent number of the undead encounters in 5 Leagues from the Borderlands. I wasn't particularly fussed about doing an exquisite job on these, so they just got a good coating of inks and contrast paints, with a final brown wash over everything. Quantity over quality here.

Still ambling along the path to working out how to take photos...

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
Re: Starting a 15mm collection || some adventurers arrive (5 Nov)
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2022, 03:17:47 PM »
Starting to work through a batch of adventurer minis, generic enough protagonists to represent an eclectic collection of fortune seekers. Seeing how rare and pricey armour is in 5 Leagues, I probably chose the wrong ones to paint first, but we are where we are. I like the fact that these ones have packs on so that they actually look like they're mid-expedition, and am pleased that there are some female minis amongst the Alternative Armies collections.

I did try going down the inking/contrast paints route but wasn't getting the results I wanted, so redid them with a more familiar wash and highlight with just a contrast layer over the bags and belts. Perhaps not enough deep detail for the contrasts to sink into.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2022, 05:28:54 PM »
Both zombies and adventurers look great! Those AA/TTG/Asgard adventurers are tiny and so particularly impressive!

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2022, 09:04:33 PM »
A nice party

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2022, 10:43:32 PM »
What a cool start! I love your board and the terrain. They look great. And those models are ace. Hope you enjoyed your start!

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2022, 06:16:25 PM »
Cheers, folks. Their diminutive statue did catch me out - at first I thought it was the zombies towering over them - but they have just the right amount of detail for my tastes. Enough to give character and distinguish between them (and big enough for my cheap paint brushes) but not enough to bog the painting process down. Especially the faces - much easier to treat paint marks as indicative when there's not that much detail to start with.

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
Re: Starting a 15mm collection || More Adventurers (15 Nov)
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2022, 04:51:02 PM »
A few more of the armoured adventurers from Alternative Armies, evidently fresh from the adventurer guild training grounds with equipment as bright and unsullied as that - won't last long, I'm sure.

Next in the painting queue are some less well-protected characters.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2022, 04:14:12 PM »
Don't necessarily be hidebound by selecting from only 15mm fantasy ranges... I've long used historical proxies in 25mm but I'd shout out for the 15mm Peter Pig Carolingians (Franks) that have just been released. Some excellent potential for Dark Age infantry and cavalry to expand on those fantasy contingemts/warbands...
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2022, 05:16:15 PM »
Don't necessarily be hidebound by selecting from only 15mm fantasy ranges... I've long used historical proxies in 25mm but I'd shout out for the 15mm Peter Pig Carolingians (Franks) that have just been released. Some excellent potential for Dark Age infantry and cavalry to expand on those fantasy contingemts/warbands...

If it’s fantasy, I would even go so far that you can use nearly any scale. 10mm demons become imps, 20mm barbarians are excellent frost giants, 32mm models can be gods or demons!

Ot: those Peter Pig carolingians look very good. Does anyone know how they are sizewise? I.e. would they fit with Dan Mersey‘s Dark Age models?

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2022, 04:57:27 PM »
Oh excellent, I've followed these in Instagram.
Are the figures magnetised?

Offline LoxIslay

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2022, 09:16:35 PM »
Lovely selection of Heroes.