Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:25:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Italian planes for Italo-Ethiopian War 1935-6  (Read 4063 times)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Italian planes for Italo-Ethiopian War 1935-6
« on: October 16, 2009, 09:45:24 PM »
Being a relative newcomer to the history of the Regia Aeronautica, I was wondering if someone could help me out with some suitable (model) plane suggestions for the Italian invasion of Ethiopia! :)  I notice that Triumph and Tragedy has rules for aircraft, and I'd like to get one for show purposes at least.  I was thinking of a 1:72 scale kit (being OK at a distance on a big stick above a 28mm battlefield) and was hoping for a smallish biplane fighter/bomber or something like that (CR32?), but my immediate research seems to show that most of the planes were bigger, with Caproni CA 113s, 101s and 133s doing most of the work.  The SM81 seems to be the most available model kit, but doesn't seem to have seen a lot of service in Ethiopia, with the cheaper Capronis fighting off the formidable Ethiopian 'air force'.

Can anyone enlighten me a little more?  I'd be especially grateful for model suggestions...

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Italian planes for Italo-Ethiopian War 1935-6
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 02:55:03 AM »
Being a relative newcomer to the history of the Regia Aeronautica, I was wondering if someone could help me out with some suitable (model) plane suggestions for the Italian invasion of Ethiopia! :)  I notice that Triumph and Tragedy has rules for aircraft, and I'd like to get one for show purposes at least.  I was thinking of a 1:72 scale kit (being OK at a distance on a big stick above a 28mm battlefield) and was hoping for a smallish biplane fighter/bomber or something like that (CR32?), but my immediate research seems to show that most of the planes were bigger, with Caproni CA 113s, 101s and 133s doing most of the work.  The SM81 seems to be the most available model kit, but doesn't seem to have seen a lot of service in Ethiopia, with the cheaper Capronis fighting off the formidable Ethiopian 'air force'.

Can anyone enlighten me a little more?  I'd be especially grateful for model suggestions...

You could look at a Fiat BR 3. Now trying to find a model will be the next issue!

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 06:29:50 PM »
Thanks for that, Helen.  I did a search for Fiat BR 3 and found nothing, however is this the same plane as a Fiat CR 32?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_CR.32

This seems to be the correct size plane for what I'm after, as the multi-crew bombers might be a bit unwieldy on a flying stand over the gaming table!  Also it appears there is a kit available.

Cheers

James

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 08:34:45 PM »
Thanks for that, Helen.  I did a search for Fiat BR 3 and found nothing, however is this the same plane as a Fiat CR 32?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_CR.32

This seems to be the correct size plane for what I'm after, as the multi-crew bombers might be a bit unwieldy on a flying stand over the gaming table!  Also it appears there is a kit available.

Cheers

James

CR 32 is a good choice.

Try and purchase one with decals for the period.

Helen

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 09:26:12 PM »
I found an IMAM RO37 bis that one of my books places directly in use in Ethiopia, and found a UK supplier selling a 1:72 version, so I've ordered one to have a go at!  Doesn't seem to have specific decals for Ethiopia but I can probably paint what I need.  Thanks for the help.  I'll post a pic when I'm done.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 12:28:33 AM »
I found an IMAM RO37 bis that one of my books places directly in use in Ethiopia, and found a UK supplier selling a 1:72 version, so I've ordered one to have a go at!  Doesn't seem to have specific decals for Ethiopia but I can probably paint what I need.  Thanks for the help.  I'll post a pic when I'm done.

Just as good too an I look forward in reading your project.

Helen

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 01:57:03 AM »
Few CR.32 were used in Ethiopia, they were mostly reserved for other contingencies, being the frontline fighter of the time. The primary fighter used in the colonies at the time was the CR.30s. Alas, I don't know of anyone who makes one. No doubt there is some obscure vacform kit out there somewhere.

If you want a CR.32 there's a 1/72 version made by SuperModels, it's a decent enough kit, if fairly simple ( better for gaming). Ebay is your friend, although I have seen a few in model shops recently.

If you want a bigger 1/48 version then look for the SMER version rather than the Classic Airframe kit. The latter is a beautiful model but less robust than the SMER kit. Apart from their great simplicity SMER kits are usually a fraction the price anyway.

Supermodels also make the SM 81 Pipistrello bomber that did see service in Ethiopia, bear in mind it's a pretty big model.Given the rarity in kit form of high wing  trimotor Italian bomber/ transports.s and the ubiquity of these in actual service, I'd suggest a fudge. There are a variety of cheap Ford trimotor kits out there. Suitable paintjob, new decals and who will be the wiser that it isn't a Caproni?

Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 09:12:40 PM »
Few CR.32 were used in Ethiopia, they were mostly reserved for other contingencies, being the frontline fighter of the time. The primary fighter used in the colonies at the time was the CR.30s. Alas, I don't know of anyone who makes one. No doubt there is some obscure vacform kit out there somewhere.

If you want a CR.32 there's a 1/72 version made by SuperModels, it's a decent enough kit, if fairly simple ( better for gaming). Ebay is your friend, although I have seen a few in model shops recently.

If you want a bigger 1/48 version then look for the SMER version rather than the Classic Airframe kit. The latter is a beautiful model but less robust than the SMER kit. Apart from their great simplicity SMER kits are usually a fraction the price anyway.

Supermodels also make the SM 81 Pipistrello bomber that did see service in Ethiopia, bear in mind it's a pretty big model.Given the rarity in kit form of high wing  trimotor Italian bomber/ transports.s and the ubiquity of these in actual service, I'd suggest a fudge. There are a variety of cheap Ford trimotor kits out there. Suitable paintjob, new decals and who will be the wiser that it isn't a Caproni?

That's great advice, thank you.  As far as I can see there wasn't much of a role for fighters in Ethiopia as Haile Selassie's tiny air force was unarmed!  So it seems that smaller planes would have been for reconnaissance and the odd bit of strafing/bombing.  I've seen the SM81 kits and would agree they might be too large, around 30cm wingspan on a flying stand over my gaming table feels a bit risky...

I've ordered an Old Glory telescopic flying stand to perch the model on, I will let you know how I get on.

Good to know about the1/48 kit.  I can see myself buying one of those just to have on the ground at some point!

Offline njetkulturny

• Bookworm
  • Small Tank or large man?
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 02:56:04 PM »
There is a Caproni 13x Model made by Italeri in 1/72 with the option to build different versions of the plane. Limited edition though. I have one sitting on the shelf as an airfield addendum and it is smaller than the SM Trimotor planes.

Eventually this is something for you.