Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:35:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686589
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp!: Skirmish Adventure Wargaming (Osprey Wargames)  (Read 11476 times)

Offline Umlaut

• Student
Re: Pulp!: Skirmish Adventure Wargaming (Osprey Wargames)
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2022, 03:12:27 AM »
The book is $17 on Amazon. Price of 3 coffees. I will give it a shot or no big deal.

Offline The Bibliophile

• Scientist
    • Scrum in Miniature
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2022, 05:32:31 AM »
I had been looking forward to these rules for months. Received them this week, and the best part of the package in the cover illustration. Rather rudimentary mechanics and bland profile/roster choices. Very little here that captures and conveys pulpy fun, sadly. I may play a quick game before making my final judgement, but the rules, Osprey’s now tired templatized approach, and lax editorial shaping and copy editing doesn’t leave me clamoring to get it on the table.
Scrum in Miniature (my gaming blog): http://miniaturescrum.blogspot.com
Scrum Con (my miniatures+RPG convention in Wash, DC): https://sites.google.com/view/scrum-con/home
Above the Fray Miniatures (my minis company): https://sites.google.com/view/abovethefrayminiatures/home

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2022, 01:13:31 PM »
I had been looking forward to these rules for months. Received them this week, and the best part of the package in the cover illustration. Rather rudimentary mechanics and bland profile/roster choices. Very little here that captures and conveys pulpy fun, sadly. I may play a quick game before making my final judgement, but the rules, Osprey’s now tired templatized approach, and lax editorial shaping and copy editing doesn’t leave me clamoring to get it on the table.
Mmm - doesn’t sound too hopeful. Looks like I’ll have to keep on trying to mould Pulp Alley to my own liking.

Doug

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2022, 08:35:51 PM »
I was mildly looking forward to my copy arriving.But since everyone one in the vaguest of uniforms is on strike or going on strike in the UK I'm not holding my breath of reading through them anytime soon.( Northstar email on 02/12 saying they'd been dispatched.So it's in the laps and sulks of the postal gods.)

I've ready some very contradictory reviews of them. But it's that always the way. So I'm still on the fence as to whether they'll be used to gather dust or to roll dice with
At the moment I'm inclined to replay the Pulp Alley  ' Get to the plane !' scenario for a Christmas game .Than grind through a game with these over Christmas . If of course they actually arrive in time :?

Offline StuRat

• Assistant
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2022, 05:47:33 AM »
Surely the Christmas game should be, "Get to the Sleigh!"
Wait, I can't let you give me your last eight dollars. Here's five back.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2022, 05:59:59 PM »
...and the best part of the package in the cover illustration. Rather rudimentary mechanics and bland profile/roster choices.

I think the cover is some exceptional artwork. I wouldn’t mind it as a poster.

Offline spacecowsmith

• Librarian
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2022, 08:13:37 PM »
I picked up a copy from Waterstones as a pre-order.

The artwork is the best part of the game to be honest, I found the rules themselves pretty generic with a couple of little elements which were fun but its pretty bland stuff to be honest and feels like a bit of a missed opportunity by Osprey Games as it could have been so much better with some actual effort put into it.

The examples of play are also incredibly boringly illustrated which is rather unfortunate. I'll be sticking with We Can Be Heroes which is much more characterful.

The lack of solo play option is also a really poor show, especially as they tooted all about it in the blurb and then to have the content being "just play both sides" is pretty bad.

Judging by the lack of advertising or indeed effort to get folks talking about it, I can't help but wonder what Osprey Games is doing. I think I'll be holding off picking up any more of their blue books...
http://talesfromfarpoint.blogspot.co.uk/

An Adventure in small scale gaming and 2nd Edition 40k!

Offline frd

• Bookworm
  • 15mm of madness
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2022, 05:13:32 AM »
Shame to hear that the game is not great, and the solo side is non-existent. I was excited when I first found out about those rules especially because of the solo aspect advertised in the blurb.

I'm familiar with the author from his boardgames reviews and was really hoping that he will bring something new to the table - maybe some solo mechanisms from all those board wargames he plays? I was ready to get the book just to check out the solo stuff... and now this.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2022, 04:09:09 PM »
I think I'll be holding off picking up any more of their blue books...

Well, these are always hit and miss. 

There are some great ones like Dux Bellorum, The Rampant series, Ronin/En Garde, Fighting Sail, etc.

and then there are less great ones like On the Seven Seas, Broken Legions, A World Aflame, etc.

For the price, they are worth the risk for me.

Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2022, 08:41:29 PM »
Wargames Soldiers & Strategy gave it a glowing report. I was a little more skeptical.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2022, 09:53:10 PM »
I'm a bit skeptical, as well.  BUT, I will likely get them.  I'd rather get them and be disappointed, than not get them and find out they're the cat's meow...odd logic, I know, but...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2022, 01:33:36 PM »
Wargames Soldiers & Strategy gave it a glowing report. I was a little more skeptical.

Guerilla Miniatures Gaming too seemed to like it, although I don’t think they had played it through at that point.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2022, 03:50:16 PM »
Yeah, Ash jokingly refers to his own reviews as "Man Reads Books" so he typically has not played them at the point he reviews them.  They are more giving us a look at what is inside and some initial impressions than a full-on, fully playtested review.   

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2022, 09:51:52 AM »
By the way if it's not obvious this is a no brainer purchase for me.  :)

Well they arrived and I have skipped through. ... but alas nothing grabbed me.  Quite uninspiring and generic I felt.

Nice pictures and maybe a few ideas I can steal but I can't honestly see myself bothering to actually play a game.

I too know the author from board game reviews and remember he has said in the past that making and painting miniatures is not something he's into so perhaps the aesthetics are not important to him and he wants oven ready out of the box playable toys.

I think that lack of passion spills over into the rules. 

I generally buy all the blue books whatever the genre/period and enjoy reading if not playing all of them but this, in my opinion, is one of the weaker ones despite it theme (which is a favourite of mine but to be honest is very lacking). 

In summary - if you're looking for a good pulpy, exciting, thematic set of playable rules then move along.  If however, you are a completionist (guilty)  or want some pretty art and a generic skirmish rule set then this may be for you.

No dear, they are not toys, they are models

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2022, 05:33:49 PM »
Right - that’s it. After the almost total negativity, I’ve crumpled in a heap and cancelled my copy just now. Amazon are in the process of preparing it for despatch so it may be too late, in which case it’ll go back unopened.

Doug