Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:24:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689266
  • Total Topics: 118268
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fire in the Sky - WW2 Squadron-level Air combat  (Read 355 times)

Offline Bellerophon

• Assistant
Fire in the Sky - WW2 Squadron-level Air combat
« on: April 01, 2024, 02:18:22 PM »
Hey all,

I was a playtester on this, and now that it's out on wargamevault, I've been playing a lot of it.

I attached some photos from a few games I've been hosting, both Battle of Britain and 8th AF over Germany.

The creator did a great video playthrough. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNcRCcCeEek&

Happy to answer any questions about the game!

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
Re: Fire in the Sky - WW2 Squadron-level Air combat
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 10:14:47 PM »
Looks interesting. You/they have come up with a very similar mounting system to the one I was working on.

I'd love to see/read a bit about how the rules and combat works - number and types of dice used for combat, altitude levels, keeping track of aircraft lost and damaged, etc. Does it have rules for high altitude bombing, night bombing raids, flak, etc.?

Any info you can share will be greatly appreciated. I'm interested in reading about reviews and battle accounts too.

Offline Bellerophon

• Assistant
Re: Fire in the Sky - WW2 Squadron-level Air combat
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2024, 01:31:09 PM »
Absolutely!

- Combat and Tactics are handled with D10s. When you activate a squadron, you roll 2d10, which we call Yellow and Green, but any two colors can be used. This determines your AP with that Squadron for the turn and a special modifier (like being able to link back up to your formation for free or being unable to be reacted to "Out of the Sun!"). Firing and Avoiding said fire are also d10s. The system is pretty simple, with more AP required to "Bounce" enemy Squadrons.

- There are three altitude levels, High, Medium, Low. Diving gets you additional AP, so having height can be a tremendous advantage. Higher altitude Squadrons also get significant bonuses to intercept other Squadrons.

- Aircraft are lost in Sections. Typically, a Squadron/unit in the game might be made up of 2-4 Sections, which can maneuver independently. The terms are genericized but basing conventions for each nation's air force allow you to represent different formations. F'rex, my Luftwaffe Sections are 4-plane Schwarm, while my RAF fighters are based as 3-plane Vics.

- Bombing rules are in the campaign system in the game. Flak is included, yes. Carrier ops and AA in those situations are forthcoming this summer. No night rules yet.