Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:11:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690649
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [KICKSTARTER] ARNHEM HEROES PART 2. May 2024 PG.14 Glider Pilots  (Read 28504 times)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
Re: [KICKSTARTER] ARNHEM HEROES Empress and Hicks MAR PG.8
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2023, 04:20:05 PM »
The bloke in that video stated, one of the figures is carrying/trailing a Sterling. If any of the Arnhem soldiers did carry one, and it's a big if, it should have a straight magazine...

"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2023, 05:08:08 PM »
Yeah, I believe there is some evidence that there might have been one or two Patchetts carried (although records are a little sketchy) at Arnhem, but that they were still taking the straight Sten mag at that time, with the curved magazine being made post-war.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2023, 08:07:04 PM »
This may be of interest...

Theirs Is The Glory 1946

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2023, 08:55:32 PM »
It's a cracker of a film and features many who fought at Arnhem.

Would love to see the out-takes from that. Apparently the producers 'found' and then blew up a derelict Dutch train. The Dutch railways were apparently not thrilled, as they had planned to put it back into service. Hefty compensation paid, scene cut from the final version.

Signed up for notifications to the KS. First KS ever.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline M Blakey

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #124 on: March 15, 2023, 10:20:13 AM »
FROM FACEBOOK

Arnhem Heroes KICKSTARTER.

Start date 24th March.

Here are a couple of new figures that we have added. A sniper team for added deadliness.

The sniper is using a No4 mark 1 (T) rifle with No 32 Mark 1 telescopic sight.

The cap comforter is taken from a picture, see below. Below that figure is a chap with a cammo net over his beret. We considered that but felt it would get lost in translation when moulding. Its a bit of weird thing to wear but young men do weird things 🙃

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arnhemheroes/arnhem-heroes?fbclid=IwAR0sG3Pk5t-4bNIugs-DIcXY_xQeOkHSp8PRoNC-WQ5xtlReEt7QO7w3VOg

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #125 on: March 15, 2023, 01:05:20 PM »
Here's a few more:

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #126 on: March 15, 2023, 01:17:25 PM »
If memory serves the sniper is a lad from the XXI, the soldier on the right  certainly is, he was killed by mortar fire not long after that picture was taken.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 01:19:09 PM by Harry Faversham »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #127 on: March 15, 2023, 09:04:51 PM »
Very nice.  :-*

Best produce a few more scoped rifles. In theory there was a dedicated marksman with a scope in each para section, at least according to the relevant War Establishments.

Offline M Blakey

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #128 on: March 16, 2023, 09:14:08 AM »
From Facebook

ARNHEM HEROES KICSTARTER.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arnhemheroes/arnhem-heroes?fbclid=IwAR2uPoK8KYJjHNNdMnS2zdRePuZz-LApx9ZQXwDHQ4Su50oInT0k2MUmkWs

We are trying to cover off the relevant troops necessary to create a fighting force for whatever set of rules that you use. Obviously this is pretty difficult given the way rules look at the historic detail but one item that we did need to cover was the cut down version 2" mortar that proved very effective in the defence. One even took out a King Tiger, allegedly.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 09:41:38 AM by M Blakey »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
Re: [KICKSTARTER] ARNHEM HEROES Empress and Hicks MAR PG.9
« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2023, 12:23:19 AM »
Again very nice.  :-*

My only concern is that the project ends up with too many, unusual, rare or one off figures. Whilst these are always going to be interesting sculpts and ideal for vignettes or dioramas if you get one of the 'I'm wearing a bowler hat, no webbing and carrying a shooting stick' figure (what traditionally most would view as 'character figures') per pack then it makes creating a platoon or more a pain in the arse. Nobody wants the 'unique' character type popping up again and again in every section. It just looks daft.

Some relatively bland, universal, figures in standard kit would be appreciated as a core. People will make their own variations be it with paintbrush or putty if they fancy. It also widens the potential use and marketability of the figures. Whilst Arnhem is interesting, I'd like to use these elsewhere as well so getting too specific lessens their appeal rather than enhances it.

Difficult I know as Paul has already been down this path before, I still have a handful of his older figures floating around and they remain beautiful sculpts. So as a suggestion maybe some more standard figures as I am sure that the benchmark range for paras.

I also acknowledge that we are only seeing the edited highlights and that in all probability there's much more to come including vanilla packs.

Offline M Blakey

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2023, 10:00:34 AM »
FROM FACEBOOK

ARNHEM HEROES KICKSTARTER

The main aim of this Kickstarter was to create a set of figures that paid homage to the troops that fought at Arnhem. That’s not just basing figures on the well known information and usually regarding medal winners but the stories linked to the common bloke in the middle of a fight for survival.

No figure seems to sum this approach up more than this story regarding one soldier. Dicky Boyd told the story of a veteran glider soldier of the Stafford’s who after three days of heavy fighting found himself in a graveyard under fire with no hot food. His craving for a mug of tea became so strong that he through caution to the wind and brewed up. (Typical Tommy.)

Just as it was made a wounded soldier who was suffering from shock was placed next to him and he reluctantly passed his mug to the soldier to ease his pain. Sadly the wounded soldier dropped the mug before taking a drink and so both never got to taste the life preserving tea.

Unfortunately he was later wounded and later found in the gutter by an SS medic who saved his life.   

That soldier is believed to be  William Charles Noel Lane. There is a Cpl. W. C. Lane (5124813) listed in 1944 casualty lists for North-West Europe, who was wounded on 19 September 1944 and thereafter missing. he was assigned POW no: 82930 and sent to camp 317 (Markt Pongau, 50km south of Salzburg).

If you have not joined the pre Kickstarter link yet please do as it will give you a reminder when the KS starts.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arnhemheroes/arnhem-heroes?fbclid=IwAR3gT7dzqOvW7fk61TpaZALc-XL4PE5VsQ2FqHBiOIIVLR69m1Ei7som3Pc

Offline M Blakey

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2023, 10:02:47 AM »
I for one am absolutely blown away at the commitment being put in for this Kickstarter. To see the actual boots on the ground situational stories bring brought to life in miniature. Bravo.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2023, 03:18:57 PM »
In my 'umble opinion you lads should stick with the Arnhem Heroes. Anyone wanting to 'flesh out' his collection could do that with Paul's old sculpts...
they're streets (forgive the pun  :)) ahead of anyone elses anyhow!

:)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2023, 03:58:57 PM »
In my 'umble opinion you lads should stick with the Arnhem Heroes. Anyone wanting to 'flesh out' his collection could do that with Paul's old sculpts...
they're streets (forgive the pun  :)) ahead of anyone elses anyhow!

Pretty much unavailable these days. Voldemort Games replaced them with their own shitty plastic figures. So there is that.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #134 on: March 17, 2023, 04:52:09 PM »
Never knew that, just gleaned a Platoon's worth from the Bazzar! The Warlord Games plastic Paras are really good, I'd use them as 'flesher outs', at a push.