Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:54:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Any companies producing STLs for tanks ?  (Read 1882 times)

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
Any companies producing STLs for tanks ?
« on: October 12, 2022, 07:19:10 PM »
Hi,

I am looking for some STls of world war two era tanks and vehicles, so far I have been using Eskice miniatures from Myminifactory, in fact that is the only one that I know of. My printer is fairly small so I have been printing in 28mm but now prefer 15mm.
Large games of Rapid Fire will now be possible but I really would like to find someone making STLs for Russians. Any tips or links would be really helpful... this printing thing is a time sink and despite my best efforts sticky.

Thanks in advance

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Any companies producing STLs for tanks ?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 07:44:52 PM »
There is a huge collection of free 15mm STL's that came out on Thingiverse many moons ago.  They're free and readily available.  All done by one designer, and available in a big pack of files.

The nice thing is they're definitely designed for 15mm, so, while old, their details are fine, and stuff is "chunky" enough to not be super frail when printed.

Poke around here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3553160

Most of the eBay and Etsy sellers which flog 15mm stuff come from these files.

I find it excellent for "support" assets you won't find easily in plastic, etc.  These Soviet tractors and guns were printed by a buddy of mine who has a nicely squared away resin printer:

2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2022, 08:17:14 PM »
Oh Wow! Thanks Elbows that is actually much better than I was expecting!! Much much better. Downloading the file now, adiring your work as its doing its thing. Thanks again for this top tip
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 08:25:28 PM by ulverston »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 02:36:39 AM »
No problem, just be aware - he had to break up the files into batches, etc.  But if you get them all, you'll end up with...literally hundreds of vehicles, guns, tractors, wagons, trucks, cars, etc.  It's a friggin' gold mine.

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2022, 04:49:24 AM »
Thanks again, I managed to download them but now I am wondering how to use the files in Chitubox? I have a resin printer and wonder if these files will somehow translate or if I will have to download a new slicer. I was looking at the list.... its amazing wht the file creator has done.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2022, 01:30:15 PM »
My buddies print them in resin, but I've no idea.  My understanding is the files originate from a wargaming model group in New Zealand or something.  Not really sure.  Good luck!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2022, 02:22:53 PM »
These are the Bergman designed models - its just one person who creates them in his lunch breaks (apparently)

I’ve resisted 3d printing so far - so can’t help with how you actually process them

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2022, 02:38:33 PM »
Thanks again, I managed to download them but now I am wondering how to use the files in Chitubox? I have a resin printer and wonder if these files will somehow translate or if I will have to download a new slicer. I was looking at the list.... its amazing wht the file creator has done.

I've printed some of these files on a Mars 3 using chitubox to slice them.

It's just a case of choosing the appropriate STL, loading it into chitubox and adding supports. 

Most of the vehicles are designed to be printed with the wheels on the build plate but I have found I get better results with some if I tip them 45 degrees - like they're going up a steep hill - before I add supportes.

Once supported, slice and print.  Simples.

Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2022, 03:14:35 PM »

Offline 7dot62mm

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2022, 04:05:56 PM »

Check out wargaming3d.com for a wide selection of armored vehicles and other models. Also keep an eye on Kickstarter.com and search for STL and 3D. There are numerous kickstarters featuring tank models.

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2022, 07:29:47 PM »
Thank you all very much for the help, as you can see I am very new to printing though I do seem to have a lot more vehicles than just a month ago! I will try to work through preparing some files for printing at weekend. It feels like christmas-thanks again for the help.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2022, 03:39:00 PM »
Just stumbled across this lot while looking for something else - https://hartolia-miniatures.fr/en/accueil/740-wild-west-pack.html

Ignore the "wild west" in the URL, it is actually a WW2 USSR equipment pack

Guns and vehicles included :
- T-18 MS-1
- T-26 M1933
- T-35A M1934
- T-70
- KV-1 M1941
- BT-5
- KhTZ-16
- IS-1
- KV-2
- BM-13 Katioucha
- Komintern heavy artillery tractor
- Set of three IMZ M-72 motos
- SU-152
- S-65 Stalinets
- 25mm M1940 72-K AA cannon
- 76mm M1931 AA cannon
- Stalinec-2 artillery cannon and B4 transport truck
- Zis-3 anti-tank cannon

Offline Huascar

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2022, 01:11:16 AM »
There is quite a lot of WW2 tank stl producers - both free and commercial. I maintain a list of 3d printing resources at boltaltaction - although I would not claim it is comprehensive  https://www.boltaltaction.com/3d

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2022, 04:37:51 AM »
Thanks again everyone for the help and links, the painted vehicles on here are superb. I have now the beginnings of an early war British and French force for Rapid Fire in 15mm. Exciting times for the wargamer indeed!

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2022, 02:18:18 PM »
I think Marco Bergmann is Canadian, not 100% sure, I have known his work form the time he was doing excellent mods for the original combat mission games. He has also a very good selection of post 45 vehicles.

For thanks also look at tiger ace on Thingiverse, https://www.thingiverse.com/tigerace1945/designs again free, and very good quality.

For paid stuff there are osme excellent choices around. Eskice miniatures  https://eskiceminiature.fr/ has some really good vehicles with crew in 15mm, 20mm, and 28mm, either STLs to slice or pre-supported in lychee.

A new comer with some interesting models is: MARHARYTA BOHUSH. I have seen her models printed and they look good. She has done three KS campaigns with plenty of STL for UK, Italy, Japan, and Germany. I was unable to see a shop...  but from Kickstarter you can get her e-mail to inquiry (thing I plan to do after I get my printer...).

Best,
Arrigo
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com