Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:31:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Swordpoint; How to Play Videos *from the Author* Parts, I, II, III IV and V  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
In an effort to learn the Swordpoint rules,  this is a bit of a happy event for me as just prior to me playing my first game, with a regular opponent, Covid came along and nipped it in the bud. For various health reasons I have not been able to get to the club and play a game yet!

It may also prove to be useful for anyone who has thought about giving the rules a whirl but was unsure.

I will keep updating the thread as more videos are added.

So far we have:
Movement.
Shooting
Combat

Swordpoint Rules MASTER Class -A guide by the Author. Part 1 - Movement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6oKxsBdVmc&ab_channel=MedievalWargamer

Swordpoint Rules MASTER Class -A guide by the Author. Part 2 - Shooting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npvzqsNrbXA&ab_channel=MedievalWargamer

SwordpoinT Rules MASTER Class -A guide by the Author. Part 3 - Combat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUfUVS9VPe4&ab_channel=MedievalWargamer

Swordpoint Rules MASTER Class -A guide by the Author. Part 4 - Commanders
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_W0gqBRJfM&ab_channel=MedievalWargamer

How to Build your armies (Imperial with Italian states Allies) for SwordpoinT Rules
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6vkx_OlAyc&ab_channel=MedievalWargamer

« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 08:13:32 PM by Atheling »

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
Re: Swordpoint; How to Play Videos *from the Author* Parts, I, II and II
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2022, 10:50:27 PM »
This post looked lonely with no replies, which surprised me.
I have looked at most of the videos for Sword Point including those done by a chap who sounds like Antonio Banderas, only with an even better voice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1edqqBNWAXs

I have an idea of how to play the game, but it is hard to find many reviews about how it is as a gaming experience (Antonio excepted).
The line of battle rules make sense but does it play well? 

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2022, 05:12:51 AM »
I have an idea of how to play the game, but it is hard to find many reviews about how it is as a gaming experience (Antonio excepted).
The line of battle rules make sense but does it play well?

I was rather hoping to keep Nic's (your Antonio Banderas- I'm not sure he will enjoy the comparison) videos separate as they were not put together by the author of the rules; ergo the fact that I have put them on another thread here on LAF.

I am unable to make it to our club (or anywhere) due to a medical condition and have not had the opportunity to play a full game. I have pushed a few units around and played out the basic concepts of which I find the Line of Battle to be the backbone of the game. Most rulesets have rules for support but where Swordpoint differs to other rulesets is in the manner in which the support is crucial to any given combat. It allows for a few average units to fight off and win against a couple of elite units, which I have found over time the lack of is a major weakness in many rulesets.

If there's one bugbear for me it's the momentum tokens. you can gain momentum tokens, which can be added to combat results, via shooting which effectively means a unit on the far left of the table can pick up momentum tokens and they can be applied to a unit on say the far right of then board in combat results or initiative. This is counter intuitive for me.

Having said that, given that Swordpoint's origins lay ion Warhammer Ancient Battles the rules have taken huge strides forward and moved away from many of the original premises of said rules.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2022, 05:32:09 AM »
I was rather hoping to keep Nic's (your Antonio Banderas- I'm not sure he will enjoy the comparison) videos separate as they were not put together by the author of the rules; ergo the fact that I have put them on another thread here on LAF.

Ooooh.  No offence meant with Antonio (I would be very pleased to be compared to Antonio Banderas - at least he has more hair), and as I mentioned, the voice is far better.  Great advertisement for rules.  I sure it would get my wife wargaming if she heard him. lol

I find things like momentum tokens don't work too well if you are playing solo (which accounts for 90% of my gaming these days).

Sorry to hear about your health issues.  All the best.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Rules for Commanders Added to original post.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
How to Build your armies (Imperial with Italian states Allies) for SwordpoinT Rules Added

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
It is interesting that many comment on the momentum rule which I find rather clunky and perhaps an overcomplex method to cover what it is meant to represent and depending on circumstances can be very OP. I was hoping they were going to amend this rule in 2. I did notice on Nic's site that he ignores the momentum rule which if you are playing solo is probably a good idea!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
It is interesting that many comment on the momentum rule which I find rather clunky and perhaps an overcomplex method to cover what it is meant to represent and depending on circumstances can be very OP. I was hoping they were going to amend this rule in 2. I did notice on Nic's site that he ignores the momentum rule which if you are playing solo is probably a good idea!

I don't mid the momentum rule per se but do object to gaining momentum tokens from shooting that takes place on one side of the table being applicable to a unit on the other side. It just doesn't make sense.