Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:07:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686585
  • Total Topics: 118108
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Blood Bowl. Norse vs Snotlings.  (Read 2140 times)

Offline crafty

• Librarian
  • Slapdash
Blood Bowl. Norse vs Snotlings.
« on: October 16, 2022, 08:54:01 AM »
Evening' all.

I've been playing Blood Bowl 7s a lately as I was introduced to the shortened game about 6 months ago. I've written a few little session reports on my blog, as I really enjoy the game. Yesterday we played my first full length game, and although it was a bit longer than our usual games (by an hour or so) it was just as enjoyable.

I took a bunch of photos of my mate's Snotlings. My Norse team is painted up in the 'Green Machine' colours..my local NRL footy team. Anyway, my mate doesn't post on social media or have a blog or anything but I thought people might be interested...

https://thisslapdashlife.blogspot.com/2022/10/blood-bowl-snotlings-vs-canberra.html

This Slap-Dash Life
@Mcslapdash@mastodon.social

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Blood Bowl. Norse vs Snotlings.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2022, 10:23:03 AM »
That was fun, thanks for sharing.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2022, 10:59:35 AM »
Enjoyed the blog. Liked look of your Oldhammer buildings.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2022, 11:08:38 AM »
Very cool, I haven't got the Snotling team yet (slowly gathering them all with the lofty goal of getting more local mates involved) but they look fun.

Likewise, the sways of fortune in Blood Bowl bring a real sense of engagement. Playing experienced players in other systems can sometimes feel demoralising, particularly with a system full of modifiers & special rules, but with Blood Bowl there are just so many crazy, funny moments to keep you engaged.

This is very true. Sometimes I think the best approach to Blood Bowl is to go in hoping for a good match story and fun moments to recall, so that the occasional horrid luck is less frustrating. I'm not a massively competitive tabletop gamer, preferring the narrative approach to things in general, but the theme of Blood Bowl means that there isn't as much disparity when a narrative player meets a competitive player. The character of Blood Bowl means fun and wacky stuff happens either way!

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2022, 11:28:23 AM »
That’s a good way of looking at it.

Do you think we should lobby for a special fantasy football thread on LAF?

Offline scotty

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2022, 04:46:09 PM »
A fun game

Offline crafty

• Librarian
  • Slapdash
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2022, 06:58:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies & encouragement fellas.

A few things I didn't really mention when I wrote it all up yesterday were all the nifty little tweaks the 'special' Snotling players had.

*The trolls and pump wagon were the tanks, but the little stilt walkers were quite quick and did the scoring for the Snotlings.

*The little pumpkin riding figure - apologies I don't know their all the names - could bound over players in the line.

*There were little 'mushroom bomb' throwing figures that had a nasty spore grenade-bomb that could knock over anyone in the adjacent square. These guys were pesky...if they could accurately throw their mess around.

Of course all of the little Snotlings were super squishy and easy to knock out...but there were so many of them at the start of the match. My opponent used up a bunch of bribes and special rules to get as many of them on the field in the first half.

Someone asked over on the 'what did you just play thread' in the general section..if the Snotlings were playable. Well, my opponent is a very switched on gamer - so I'd say you definitely could - but then again...if you were a super competitive win-at-all-costs player...let's just say there was a lot of chaos.

Anyway, it was a really fun game.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2022, 07:29:23 PM »
That’s a good way of looking at it.

Do you think we should lobby for a special fantasy football thread on LAF?

Sure, but I doubt we'd get it. :D

That said, I'm not sure why Blood Bowl was relegated to "Other" rather than being in Fantasy, though to be fair it is quite a weird one to pin down, genre-wise. Or did you mean just a dedicated thread in Other for everyone to post in?

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2022, 06:42:40 PM »
No. I mean like equivalent to Fantasy or WW2. I mean Fantasy Football is huge! And doesn’t really fit anywhere else. I mean military trains got its own section!?

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2023, 09:36:53 AM »
Great game, it looks like :)

Good to know that in the new rules, Snotlings stand at least a chance and can even pull off a sneaky win!

My old Goblin team has never ever pulled off even a draw. And while they're a fun lot, with tons of secret weapons etc, they always get completely trashed by my opponent's Norse and Skaven teams ::)

Thanks for the write-up!

No. I mean like equivalent to Fantasy or WW2. I mean Fantasy Football is huge! And doesn’t really fit anywhere else. I mean military trains got its own section!?
Yeah; the trains stuff is pretty niche (albeit fun to read up on), so a dedicated section for everything related to stadium-like games could work. There are tons, and not even just fantasy either; there are quite a few scifi ones out there too...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 09:40:05 AM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2023, 07:34:40 AM »
Always good to see some Bloodbowl action. I'd be up for a Fantasy Football/ Bloodbowl child board in the Fantasy Board. If there's interest I could raise it with the mod group? It's not like it's "The Next New Thing" which might only have people interested for 6 months.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2023, 08:30:54 AM »
Always good to see some Bloodbowl action. I'd be up for a Fantasy Football/ Bloodbowl child board in the Fantasy Board. If there's interest I could raise it with the mod group? It's not like it's "The Next New Thing" which might only have people interested for 6 months.

Go on, if you’re willing, raise it. I’ve loads of painted minis to share.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2023, 08:32:59 AM »
And to be clear, I wasn’t dissing military trains. We all harbour dreams of Trotsky on a RCW board with a train and a big naval cannon being attacked by White Cossacks. But thousands more of us have actually played a Blood Bowl Game this year.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2023, 09:45:43 AM »
Another vote for that! It would be a good place not only for Blood Bowl but also things like Rumbleslam, Dreadball, other fantasy "sports". Even Gaslands perhaps (post apoc motorsport?).

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2023, 05:41:32 PM »
OK guys, I'm looking for evidence that such a board could work, so if you're interested, please vote.

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=142002.0