Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:37:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Destination: Terror Island!  (Read 3712 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Destination: Terror Island!
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2022, 08:27:58 PM »
Since you mentioned Fistful of Lead - do you all know you can get a deck of cards with two extra face cards per suite?  You get the princess and the duke added.  That means a 60 card deck with the jokers.  Mine came with 8 explanatory cards for various card games that, because they are all unique, could be used for additional cards, like events perhaps, yielding a deck with 70 total cards including the jokers - maybe 72 if you get four jokers (?). 

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2022, 02:24:24 PM »
Except those decks aren’t as readily available as a standard 52 card deck. Part of the appeal of Ffol is the entry cost is low ($7 for a pdf, $1 for deck of cards and some dice). If we start making 70 card decks then we start forcing customers to use our decks and they already complain about the deck cost as is (which we haven’t raised the price of in a decade). Not to mention adding more face cards into the deck changes the chances of getting them.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2022, 04:05:54 PM »
Understand the concern on the deck cost and increased complexity with extra face cards.  However, I went looking for these for my building (actually in need of painting, mostly) Star Wars collection that will have more than 52 units.  Plan to use Bigger Battles.  So, the simplest use is just to allow more units in a game. 

As to cost, the 60 card deck is an option, not any sort of requirement.  I know when I made others aware locally, they've been a bit of a hit and numerous people have already purchased such decks.  I have acquired four to ensure I will have a deck in good shape for a long time to come in case they go out of production. 

Cost, of course, is relative.  For some, a few dollars is a big deal - I certainly remember those times in my own life, for sure - but for others it isn't so big of an issue and I'm glad to report I've got past that.  Not rich and retired so new income realities but the cost of these decks - and a number of other standard count themed decks I also purchased: Yoda deck, western decks, noire deck - did not break my bank.  And the themed decks were well below the 'official' themed decks costs.

As to the convenience of those themed decks, a simple oversized graphic with the relevant information makes the special element cards easy to identify.  That might be a nice add to the official site, a purchasable graphic with those explanations.  I saw the idea at a convention game, worked great.

As to the extra face cards and, maybe the explanatory cards, they are an easy way to add 'special events' and/or 'special hazards' to a game.  Easy to add when needed, easy to omit when not needed.

So, perhaps think of the 60+ card decks as an available option - for those who find it useful.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2022, 04:47:12 PM »
For bigger games just add another deck of cards, that's what we've done. If the same card is played by 2 players either activate simultaneously or roll a dice. Dead easy and cheap if you're using standard decks. I do like the ffol decks though, they're just nice to play with.

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2023, 07:32:03 PM »
Great looking stuff!

Keep it WEIRD!!
Brian & Mel
Keep it WEIRD!