Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:52:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690842
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [COMMERCIAL] Faceless Publishing Resurrects Trinity: Battleground  (Read 2201 times)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: [COMMERCIAL] Faceless Publishing Resurrects Trinity: Battleground
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2022, 03:40:31 PM »
I could be wrong, but it sounds like they're going to be STL's made from 3d scans of the original figures.   

Really tickles the mind as to what other kind of long-gone figure lines could be resurrected if even one good example of a figure can be found.
Alas its not that easy - even a high end scanner struggles below 50mm or so. Perhaps an industrial dental scanner might do it but the resulting scan will still be more of a mini shaped blob than a finished stl, and will need cleaning up.

Hmm, I don't think you can "scan and forget", but I also don't think the initial results are all that bad either. Sure, they benefit enormously from clean-up by hand in a 3D software package afterwards, but with older chunkier models the results are better than you might expect. I've seen a few examples of this here by Nico from Realms Of Chaos (noting it's a 28mm version of a 6mm model!), and here by Scruffy Crow:

As with everything, the accuracy of scanners and the quality of their output will only increase with time.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 03:43:49 PM by Major_Gilbear »

Offline Faceless Publishing

• Student
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2022, 04:37:34 PM »
Alas its not that easy - even a high end scanner struggles below 50mm or so. Perhaps an industrial dental scanner might do it but the resulting scan will still be more of a mini shaped blob than a finished stl, and will need cleaning up.

Hmm, I don't think you can "scan and forget", but I also don't think the initial results are all that bad either. Sure, they benefit enormously from clean-up by hand in a 3D software package afterwards, but with older chunkier models the results are better than you might expect...

As with everything, the accuracy of scanners and the quality of their output will only increase with time.

You both have good points. Unfortunately, most 3d scanners are made for larger objects and struggle with small objects with a lot of fine details, like miniatures. However, the system we are using shows promising results so far. Some cleanup of the scans are necessary, but the detail of the scans we've run to this point are so fine that mold lines that are nearly invisible to the naked eye are clear on the scanned figure.

@ Faceless Publishing: I've collected everything there is to be found on Cell and 1999 and run a (very old fashioned) fan-site for the game, but not everything is posted on the site. If you're in need of more info, please let me know; I'd love to see the game resurrected...
www.1999legacy.com

I can see that you are a huge fan of Cell Entertainment and 1999, and appreciate your passion. We'll look over your site and will likely contact you in the future.

To everyone else, we're happy to see so many Trinity fans, and we look forward to being able to return the game you love to production.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2022, 03:33:55 AM »
 Cell Entertainment had other miniatures ranges too.

Krash was a car battle game.
 Lab was Mad Scientists creating monsters that fought each other.
 Ronin is a kind of spin on 40K Epic that had large walkers with supporting tanks and aircraft.
 Nerve which was a card game.
 Hybrid was a larger scale miniatures Gladiator type game.
 They also did RPG stuff.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2022, 12:22:05 PM »

That was their main problem right there, too much diversity so not enough support to any individual system in the range. Everything got started but nothing got completed, most never fulfilled the second batch of follow up releases. Picking which of the various ranges to concentrate on would be key to picking up a range from Cell. Sadly, given the current range of games and systems on the market I do not think 1999 would be the best choice. Even though I personally love it.

Trinity: Battleground is a self contained, scope limited system so there is a realistic chance of getting all the core and supplementary releases done as White Wolf Intended.

My old RPG group played a couple of Aberrant campaigns as one of the GMs was really keen on Superhero gaming and Aberrant seemed a good compromise between sci-fi and full on Spandex to those of us who weren't.
We never tried the Trinity RPG so I don't know the more sci-fi iteration of the background, but Aeon was a good setting as far as Aberrant went. I may have to hunt out a cheap copy of the 1st edition (pre storyteller system) Aberrant to mine ideas for Weird War games.

• Student
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2022, 03:41:29 PM »

Krash was a car battle game.
 Lab was Mad Scientists creating monsters that fought each other.
 Ronin is a kind of spin on 40K Epic that had large walkers with supporting tanks and aircraft.
 Nerve which was a card game.
 Hybrid was a larger scale miniatures Gladiator type game.
 They also did RPG stuff.

We were aware of Lab, Krash, Ronin, and 1999, but not the others. It's certainly a wide range, but one worth looking into.

Trinity: Battleground is a self contained, scope limited system so there is a realistic chance of getting all the core and supplementary releases done as White Wolf Intended...

We never tried the Trinity RPG so I don't know the more sci-fi iteration of the background, but Aeon was a good setting as far as Aberrant went. I may have to hunt out a cheap copy of the 1st edition (pre storyteller system) Aberrant to mine ideas for Weird War games.

To make sure there's no confusion, the Wargames Resurrectionist project is aimed at bringing back existing material, not creating new supplemental models or rules. This is especially the case with Trinity: Battlegrounds, which is being produced under license from Onyx Path. The Trinity RPG (including the old d20 version) is still available from Onyx Path on DriveThruRPG, so it's easy to get a copy.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2022, 05:05:29 PM »
Excellent. Yesterday I was shown a reprint of a scanned old necromunda fig at my FLGS.
The quality was much better than I would have expected.

I really like Bob Naismith's stuff. I made a list of all his SF miniatures over the years.
http://area-23.blogspot.com/2016/01/bob-naismith-spacemen-files.html

The Trinity figs are great but I only own two abberants.
Here's one:

If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

• Student
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2022, 06:16:13 AM »
I really like Bob Naismith's stuff. I made a list of all his SF miniatures over the years.
http://area-23.blogspot.com/2016/01/bob-naismith-spacemen-files.html

The Trinity figs are great but I only own two abberants.

Bob Naismith is a legend in the field, and he was very happy to answer some questions about his work on Trinity. He's a very pleasant chap. Didn't realize he sculpted the old Iron Crown space rangers.