Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:03:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Spellcrow's Argatoria - 10mm Fantasy Battles Game  (Read 2644 times)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Spellcrow's Argatoria - 10mm Fantasy Battles Game
« on: October 24, 2022, 02:31:33 PM »
So I recently stumbled upon Argatoria, which is a new 10mm fantasy battles game by Spellcrow (official site link).

Anyway, I had no idea Spellcrow had been working on this, and I saw that they released the ruleset for it relatively recently.

Poking around, the models look very charming, and the game as a whole seems pretty appealing.

However, here on LAF I have struggled to find any information about it. Looking elsewhere online, I found just as little, with most of the very few video reviews in Polish (which I unfortunately don't speak). Has anybody here played it and/or collected the figures? If so, what were your thoughts?

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Spellcrow's Argatoria - 10mm Fantasy Battles Game
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 03:28:16 PM »
I only recently came across this very game through a mention of it by Luke's APS, a Youtube channel.

They did not delve into the depths of the game; they're exploring all kinds of smaller scale games that can (mostly) be bought as a complete starter box, and Argantoria is one of them. A future episode will highlight the game though.

Coicidentally, I did a lengthy review on Spellcrow's Umbra Turris, a 28mm scale fantasy skirmish game.

I'll give you the TLDR: it's an enjoyable enough game, but we found the English translation to be lacking, causing all kinds of murkiness when playing. other than that, the game was solid and fun. Let's hope they learned from their previous publication and have it translated better this time :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 03:56:12 PM »
Coicidentally, I did a lengthy review on Spellcrow's Umbra Turris, a 28mm scale fantasy skirmish game.

I did see Umbra Turris, and whilst I was vaguely aware of it, it's another game I've not really seen much about. I appreciate the link too, thank you  - I read and enjoyed your report on it, and hope that future versions of the game will be better. I was quite taken with the models for it at any rate, but I can't justify getting any more stuff if there's no real chance of playing a game with it.

Let's hope they learned from their previous publication and have it translated better this time :)

As the PDF of the rules was only £2, I bought and downloaded it... Spoiler alert: it's not better translated.  :?

Also, I noticed that the two reptile factions have a fair overlap of models (same sculpts, same codes), and likewise the two barbarian factions. It seems that the "solution" is to paint them in different colours, but it does make the official armies difficult to tell apart in the photos (IMO). I can see why they did this, and I guess it makes a bit of sense, but I think they should have made the four factions a bit more distinct. I also think there should be a bit of information about each faction's style of combat, as I can't really tell how they play (even after skimming through the rules and looking at the army lists).

Finally, it seems that the infantry may have been metal originally, and they are resin now. I have no idea what sort of resin, but my initial instinct is that the figures could be rather delicate to handle if it's at all brittle... Is anyone who's handled the figures able to confirm either way?

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2022, 03:57:02 PM »
This is the first I have heard of it. Seems intriguing!

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2022, 04:02:59 PM »
Like I mentioned in the review, I got one of their miniatures for free, and it is resin as well. Now, I don't know if it's the same material, but that one at least is no more brittle than most other resin miniatures I've handled. But because of the nature of the sculpt, I can't comment on the flex in the material; there are no thin parts.

Same goes for the resin terrain pieces I bought from their stand back in the day; they were miscasts or otherwise rejects, going for very, very cheap. But all of those were larger pieces, with no thin parts.

No bubbles or anything else I could point out as a flaw though!

Offline Terry Deathstrike

• Assistant
    • Samurai Redundancy Package
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2022, 06:16:59 PM »
It might be worth signing up for their newsletter. They share a lot of articles as well as news in it.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2022, 07:21:42 PM »
These figures look familiar to me - but I’m struggling to recall where from. I’ll do some digging on LAF as I remember trying some rules linked to them.

The figures look quite interesting but the core troops are expensive at least twice as much as the top end 10mm figures out there, and even more than Pendraken or Kallistra. Some of the terrain looks much more reasonably priced though.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2022, 10:04:10 PM »
 I have loads of the figures from the Argatoria range.

You are right about the two lizardman and Barbarian factions having similar troop types.Those are the rank and file types really.With other units only available to one or the other factions.

Spellcrow have been doing a great job on this range and releases have really ramped up in the recent months.With other factions being worked on which you can see some of the sculpts done on the FB group.

I like the resin that they use and like any small miniatures care should be taken towards the weapons sticking out.Easy enough to glue back on.

Also if you are interested in getting into the game Spellcrow do a buy three get one free offer.Great for getting starter forces together.They also throw in a freebie bag of bits and pieces.

The first magazine that they have done is also worth getting for £3 i think it is.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2022, 11:02:28 PM »
@ manic_miner:

Pretty cool - looks like a sort of undead/chaos/beastmen faction is coming up next. I wonder if it'll be split into two like the others?

Also, if you have lots of the figures, dare I ask if you've tried the game yet?

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2022, 01:27:35 AM »
 Not got around to playing the game yet.

Still need to paint the figures and create forces.

There are also some of the Vorak Crowmen type race coming into Argatoria.

Shaping up to be a really nice range.

I swapped the plastic 20mm bases for MDF ones to get a lower profile.

Offline Jan

• Bookworm
  • English isn't my first language. Forgive me. ;)
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2022, 09:34:17 PM »
Hello,

i stumbled over this game, sadly having not the time to really dive in.
But i watched these 2 very good Youtube videos from Tabletopbattle. Thanks to those guys!

1) (watch it first, to learn the rules)

2) (bigger battle)

After watching them i could even follow the games in polish language (can't understand the laguage) from the spellcrow HQ.

More to come on YT.

I like most of the minis and the army sizes.
I really like the flow of the game and the game mechanics. It is elegant and simple.
It's all about getting those charges in and positioning, but you can influence that with praying, your leaders and spells from mages or army special rules.

But there are no special rules for Cavalry etc. (i mean those "paper, rock scissors" elements other games have) and there is no shooting (except 1 solo unit)!
I asked them why (about shooting) and they said beacause of gameplay.
I don't know if they couldn't manage to balance that or if it's really benefitting the gameplay. I kind of think that it may really a good thing for dynamics and stuff... What do you think?
Fluffwise, those are wild factions influenced by dark gods enjoying fights, so maybe that's enough.

My local gaming store (germany, berlin) got some of the sets/blisters, so that i bought a blister of Arox heroes. Nice quality! Not the cheapest ones, right.

Here is the spellcrow page again:
https://www.spellcrow.com/argatoria-c-76.html
and here is their Argatoria brochure:
https://spellcrow.com/BrochureArgatoria.pdf

There is a polish Facebook Page called "Argatoria: Plemiona" where the community shows their efforts on painting stuff. Nice!

From: https://scontent-ber1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/316268878_526268672846086_4639309203227434574_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=hDoTvREBz80AX-Ss_Eh&_nc_ht=scontent-ber1-1.xx&oh=00_AfAEgiJ8N5dA7ugU0penpiVji7lIpduO6Sn1EADIbCAmdQ&oe=639B021B

On the Spellcrow FB Page they show upcoming minis. They are working on it for sure.

Would LOVE to read some experiences with the game from File&Rank-"experts".

Greetings,
Jan
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 09:42:52 PM by Jan »
X-Wing | Oak & Iron | Old West & Sci-Fi Skirmish (WiP)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2022, 02:28:49 PM »
Thanks for the update Jan! :)

I did find those video a while back, but I did struggle a bit to follow them. I'll be keeping an eye out for these, as the models and setting seem appealing.

Thanks also for that last photo - stunning figures!  :-*

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2022, 06:57:43 PM »
Thank you, too, Jan. I already followed your posts @Brückenkopf and Wargamesworld with interest.

For those considering buying in our fellow LAF member LoxIslay made some nice comparison shots and many of the models are pretty detailed and large enough to work in 15mm, too.
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=136140.msg1774786#msg1774786