Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:00:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689762
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How to make flags yourself.  (Read 2541 times)

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
Re: How to make flags yourself.
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2022, 09:39:25 PM »
I love the idea of making double flags and being able to capture them! Do you think it might work if instead of making doubles, the flags were removable? Or is that too fiddley?

As Emir says, it's certainly possible. It would depend on your own taste and the time to prepare figures. ;) I don't do it as I print them all on a same A4 sheet.

Offline duc de limbourg

• Scientist
  • aldegarde.blogspot.com
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2022, 08:53:10 AM »
Thanks for all the answers. I wasn’t after the methods how to glue paper flags to the flagpoles although that was probably not clear from my question  :)
What I need is the manner to made the flagdesign itself and then made it into a modelflag. On this moment I have finished my first Dutch French revolutionary flag by copying a museum picture and handpainted the flag. See attached pictures
But are there any more modern metods/ computer programs etc. Any advice?

And thanks for all the answers and pictures, always like those.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 10:24:20 PM by duc de limbourg »

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2022, 07:56:31 PM »
You can google for the pic, of if it is in a book, scan or even just photo it.

The problem with these random pictures is that they are sometimes too shady, dark, etc- I use IrfanView64, a free program and you can make these adjustments easily. You have to play a little with it sometimes.

If you have a picture, you are 95% there. Just open it in MS Paint (If you can not because of the file size/type, make a screenshot, easiest to do it with Win+Shift+S combination), resize it and print. I never print directly from a picture, I always add it to a Word document first- easier to adjust size.

If you want to paint it with your hands, you do not have to do it in microscopical size. Paint whatever size is the best for painting, then scan/photo etc it, from then see above.

Offline duc de limbourg

• Scientist
  • aldegarde.blogspot.com
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2022, 07:28:26 AM »
Thanks for the info

Offline TomMcC

• Assistant
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2022, 12:45:18 PM »
Just to chip in, I use the same methods as Emir and Freddy. At the bottom are some of my own efforts with my Great Northern War Russians.

I also found these on 'tinternet. Hopefully they'll upload OK. Maybe someone can do some tweaks and get a reasonable flag using MS Paint and Picture Manager.  I might try something myself at the weekend if I get time. 

cheers,
Tom

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2022, 07:04:01 PM »
I make most of my own medieval heraldic banners, not drawing them myself but sourcing good quality images and editing them appropriately, putting together complex quartered coats of arms and such things.

I've got a good technique down for turning them into flags and giving them 'ripples'.

I'm planning sometime in the near future to do a detailed step-by-step guide on my blog, but haven't got round to it yet!

https://fullharness.blogspot.com/

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2022, 08:21:29 AM »
Your flags look great! Many congrats!!!
Thanks for sharing!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline duc de limbourg

• Scientist
  • aldegarde.blogspot.com
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2022, 08:51:37 PM »
Thanks again, food for thought.

TomMCC
The first two flags are modern Dutch ones (after ww2) The first one is the flag of the regiment Johan Willem Friso and they received the flag in 1951. The second one is from the regiment Limburgse jagers and is also from 1951 (although renewed in 2017) The information from; https://www.defensie.nl/onderwerpen/vaandels-en-standaarden/vaandels-en-standaarden-bij-de-koninklijke-landmacht
The third flag is from the Hollandse garde 1790-1795 (from drawing of Hoynck van Papendrecht) and is the same as I showed earlier although maybe the backside.
greetings

Offline TomMcC

• Assistant
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2022, 01:18:48 PM »
Duc,

Doh! apologies. I didn't look that close at the flags. I grabbed them as quick examples to maybe try.

Sorry for my blunder,
Tom

Offline duc de limbourg

• Scientist
  • aldegarde.blogspot.com
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2022, 12:21:58 PM »
No problem at all😁

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2022, 01:28:53 PM »
Print (buy your print), cut and mount, fold, PVA and overpaint. I agree: Definitely the best way to do 'homemade' flags.

Of course, the problem is if you have to do a lot of flags - they take a lot of time. That's why all my SYW units only have one flag each - doing 150 flags was quite enough! Just a few of them here at Zorndorf!

On the using printed flags to overpaint - here is a free-hand flag I did for the Austrians several years ago, and you can use it if you like. Permission IS NOT GIVEN for you to make money from this image. I give it free, you give it free!

Also, another idea for home made flags where the troops can fight for more than one side - link to how to here:

http://olicanalad.blogspot.com/2010/07/top-tip-flags.html

« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 01:36:22 PM by olicana »

Offline Ben Waterhouse

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2022, 08:21:00 PM »
That is both excellent and very kind .
Arma Pacis Fulcra

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2022, 12:09:09 PM »
Outstanding detail on this Austrian flag! And looks so great when carried by your troops! Cheers!