Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:36:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Rescue of Madame de Gaulle  (Read 6889 times)

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
The Rescue of Madame de Gaulle
« on: November 03, 2022, 07:39:55 AM »
The true bit…

On 7th April, 1921, a certain Captain Charles de Gaulle married Yvonne Charlotte Anne-Marie Vendroux in the Notre-Dame de Calais church. By the time of the German invasion of France in May 1940, they had had three children, Philippe (aged 19 in 1940), Élisabeth (aged 16 in 1940) and Anne (aged 12 in 1940).

Charles de Gaulle had already visited Churchill on two occasions before the fall of France. The intention at that time was to evacuate half a million French soldiers to French North Africa, in order to carry on the war. On the 17th June, de Gaulle escaped to England in an RAF aeroplane. On his meeting with Prime Minister Winston Churchill that afternoon, it was agreed that the British would attempt to rescue Mme de Gaulle and the three children.

Mme de Gaulle was assumed to be in Carentec on the Rade de Morlaix but no one knew for sure. Such was the swift advance of the German 4th Army under General von Kluge, that communications were sporadic to say the least.

Major Norman Hope, head of Belgian Section of Section D SIS, was sent to Plymouth to effect the rescue.

He flew out on the 18th June in a Supermarine Walrus L2312, piloted by Flt Lt John Bell with Flt Sgt Charles Harris as Wireless Electrical Mechanic, and Corporal Bernard Nowell, but nothing was heard and they did not return. Months later it was relayed by the International Red Cross, that the plane had crashed in fog, miles from its destination and they were all now buried in Ploudaniel Churchyard in Brittany. The aircraft crew were the first casualties of the RAAF in WWII.

A Belgian  RNVR officer named Van Riel, who had been serving as deputy to the missing Major Hope in Section D of the Secret Intelligence Service (SIS or M16), was sent to Plymouth to make a further attempt to find de Gaulle's family and discover what had happened to the Walrus. He had in peacetime been the secretary of a Belgian yacht club. Assuming the name 'Vann' for cover purposes, he sailed from Plymouth that evening, 19 June, in MTB 29, a 70-foot Vosper boat which had only been commissioned at the beginning of that month and was commanded by Lt Kit James, son of Admiral Sir William James, CinC Portsmouth.

He landed at Carentec at 0600 the next day. He found that the first German troops had appeared in the village nearly 24 hours before, and that the de Gaulle family had left.

Vann had thought of taking the MTB up to Morlaix to seek news of Hope and the missing Walrus, but they had already been spotted by hostile aircraft and it would have been folly to pursue the search further in broad daylight, into what had evidently become enemy held territory, so they returned to Plymouth.

This is where the fictional part of our story begins, with the de Gaulles missing, possibly interned by the German forces. On a sojourn to Vagabond Manor, I was privileged to partake in a wonderful game, planned by my inestimable friend Vaggers. Although Doug was unable to be present, he had made certain contributions to the game (of which we shall hear later) and it was played out in the true spirit of the Gentlemen of Much-Piddling. Before we proceed to the fictional part of our story, you should know the true ending of this saga, as far as escape was concerned.

Mme de Gaulle had in fact taken her children and the maid into Brest on 17th June, before the arrival of the German vanguard. She borrowed money from an aunt who lived there and sought news of her husband at the British Vice-Consulate, which was closing down. Staff advised her to embark on one of the last two ships sailing for England, one Polish, one British. The de Gaulles took passage in the latter and reached Falmouth safely on 19 June: they were therefore in England before MTB 29 sailed to find them. Fate played a hand in their choice of transport as the Polish ship was sunk on the way over.

...and now, onto the mayhem!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 09:01:16 AM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: The Rescue of Madame de Gaulle
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 08:59:35 AM »
It should be stated that this AAR will be written jointly by Major Johnny Vagabond SBS and Major Lord Hereward Carew ‘Tubby’ Snapcase SAS. Both these distinguished warriors took part in the rescue attempt of Mme de Gaulle and this is their story.

We played the game cooperatively, using Black Ops rules and determining German guard actions between us. The figures, rules and action plan were provided by Snappers, the scenery and scenario were provided by Vaggers. We will take equal blame for this AAR. Of course, it goes without saying, if all goes well, then Vaggers will take all the credit!

So, here we are, safely back in the fictional world. Knowing that the real Mme de Gaulle manged to make it to safety with her children, we can relax. Whatever sort of balls-up Vaggers and Tubby make of the rescue attempt, will now be revealed, in all its glory.

Unknown to history (due to the Official Secrets Act) there was a second rescue attempt made by sea. Commander Jolyon Pugwash sailed in MGB 69 on the same night as MTB29 but to a different destination. His Navigator was 1st Lieutenant Montmorency Toastrack a playboy of the old school. Eaton, I believe, although he always denied it, stating some god-awful Public School in Scotland was his Alma Mater.

Toastrack knew the small harbours of Northern Brittany as well as any Englishman alive and this knowledge would prove invaluable in making their way past the Ile de Brehat to a small internment camp, built by the French before the war, on the banks of the Trieux River.

The probable location of Mme de Gaulle had been revealed to Johnny and Tubby at a secret briefing  in a small office at 54 Broadway, off Victoria Street, London. This of course, was the headquarters of MI6 and the office belonged to Sir Douglas D’Emfore.

Sir Douglas ‘Dapper’ D’Emfore, MI6

Sir Douglas informed the pair that von Kluge had given orders to round up all members of the French Authorities and hold them at the aforementioned internment camp. If Mme de Gaulle had been captured, this is where she would have been taken. If finding one woman and three children in the chaos that was Northern France in June 1940 was like looking for a needle in a haystack, this was as good a place to start as any.

Sir Douglas gave them a reconnaissance photo taken by the RAF, showing the layout of the camp,

…and also, a colourised version, which might come in handy, concocted by the RAF back-room boffins.

“This is about as much knowledge as I can pass on to you, chaps”, reflected Sir Douglas. “I want you two to pick a few useful types from your respective units, get yourselves over to France and bring back our French guest’s family. Orders of Winny, so make it snappy, chaps!”.

...to be continued...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 09:09:07 AM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 09:25:41 AM »
I look forward to part two.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 12:04:44 PM »
I look forward to part two.

Your wish is my command!

After rigorous selection, Johnny and Tubby narrow down their selection to a few chaps (and one chapess). The overall plan involves a two-pronged attack, the SAS landing by boat upriver and moving towards the camp on foot. The SBS will take to their Folbots from the same boat, but then paddle downriver and infiltrate the camp from the rear.

This is a photograph of the SBS who were training on Dartmoor to survive the rigours of a Southern summer, note the smiles on their faces.

From the left we have The Honourable Redvers ‘Badger’ Hamster-Crust, next Captain Jolyon Pugwash, then the Commander of this motley crew, Major Johnny Vagabond. The rubber fetishist on his left is CPO Jonty Mountfalcon, who served 3 years at His Majesties pleasure for some deviant behaviour after the war. The tall upright chap carrying the dynamite is the navigator, 1st Lieutenant Montmorency Toastrack, he went on to a long and illustrious career as a West End Safecracker, before retiring to deepest darkest Dorsetshire and finally we have Uriah Chickenstalker with the Bren on the right, a bit of an enigma wrapped up in a mystery is this one.

The other half of the rescue team are these chaps from the SAS. Again, from the left we have Lady Verity ‘Peaches’ Snapcase, MI6 agent and Tubby's niece, then the chap with the fag in the corner of his mouth is Sergeant Frobisher Cocklecarrot and in the centre is Captain Dougie ‘Stodger’ D’Emfore (Dougie is the son of Sir Douglas), wearing his traditional brown fighting trousers and carrying a silenced Welrod. The stern looking chap next to him is the commander of the SAS and the officer in charge of the operation, Major Lord Hereward Carew ‘Tubby’ Snapcase. The last member of this illustrious crew is Corporal Tarquin Shortcake one of the lesser branches of the famous Cupcake family, who have been supporters of the Crown since 1066, receding foreheads and short-sightedness run in the family, don’t you know.

It is perhaps totally inappropriate to show the alter egos of Major Johnny Vagabond (By Strength and Guile) on the right and the infamous buccaneer Major Lord Hereward Carew ‘Tubby’ Snapcase (Who Dares, Wins), pictured without his braided beard or the firecrackers in his hair on the left. However, appropriate or not, here it is. Look away now, those of a nervous disposition!

The game is afoot. As night falls, the brave SBS paddle up the Trieux River in three Folbots. Major Johnny Vagabond valiantly leads the small fleet of canoes.

Tubby leads the SAS/MI6 contingent towards the camp overland.

...to be continued...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 12:22:37 PM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2022, 12:20:23 PM »
I forgot to mention that Johnny and Tubby had agreed that radio silence must be maintained between the two groups during the mission. To avoid a ‘blue-on-blue’ incident, the two groups have outfitted themselves with children’s clickers, called ‘crickets’. Tubby had purchased a handful in Hamleys in Regent Street, after the briefing. These were to become famous later in the war, being used by the paratroopers on D-Day.

Offline Kourtchatovium104

• Scientist
  • An atom from alternate realities...
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2022, 02:31:40 PM »
Original! I hope these gentlemen can rescue "Tante Yvonne" as she was nicknamed in France  lol

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2022, 02:42:37 PM »
Can we get a close up of the walls and fencing for the compound? I have those buildings but lack inspiration for the fences. ;) ;)
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2022, 03:08:03 PM »
Brilliant introduction Snappers you've gone above and beyond this time old chap. Looking forward to seeing the next instalment. I'll have to pull my finger out of some dystopian version of Frostgrave and crack on with the SBS official history of the action to provide the 4th or 5th reel of this block buster you're creating.

Original! I hope these gentlemen can rescue "Tante Yvonne" as she was nicknamed in France  lol

When Snappers and Vaggers with intel from Douggers set their mind to a task, you can be sure it will be undertaken in a competent and professional manner.

Before descending into total chaos.  ;)

Can we get a close up of the walls and fencing for the compound? I have those buildings but lack inspiration for the fences. ;) ;)

Poiter have a look further down the Pulp board, they appear in a couple of my posts The Great Escape - The Camp and The Great Escape -The Game, if you want anything else just shout.

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 03:09:38 PM by Vagabond »

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2022, 03:19:10 PM »

Also, there are some close-ups coming here of the wire fence, as the SAS cut it. I believe the SBS bods climbed over the wall, so there should be photos of that later, too.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2022, 07:54:25 PM »
I for one embrace the chaos of the "gentlemen" from Much Piddling. lol lol Crack on Boys crack on.
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2022, 09:33:08 PM »
Very cool!

Great pictures (well with one obvious exception, that perhaps should have come with a warning!)

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2022, 10:45:08 PM »
Excellent! I look forward to the action unfolding.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2022, 11:53:38 PM »
 lol ;) :) ;D

Also, there are some close-ups coming here of the wire fence, as the SAS cut it. I believe the SBS bods climbed over the wall, so there should be photos of that later, too.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2022, 05:15:05 AM »
Marvellous stuff!

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2022, 08:27:09 AM »