Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 02:40:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691269
  • Total Topics: 118383
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [COMMERCIAL]GIVEAWAY! New Sci-fi / Cyberpunk / Modern 28mm Terrain  (Read 3733 times)

Offline Brutal Cities

• Assistant
    • Brutal Cities Wargaming Architecture
EDIT- Old giveaway below - actually a member here won!

FADELIGHT:TRANSLUCENT PLASTIC & MDF SCI-FI TERRAIN GIVEAWAY https://brutalcities.com/pages/brutal-cities-giveaway

We are doing a massive terrain bundle giveaway with the new Trapper Biotech Tournament Bundle.

The Giveaway ends in less than 14 hours too, so I thought I'd post so you can enter if interested  ~8)  - https://brutalcities.com/pages/brutal-cities-giveaway

EDIT - Launched! Save up to 30% off on select products and designs!

New blog post about the new designs here > https://brutalcities.com/blogs/news/fadelight-terrain-launch

Shop the Fadelight MDF & Plastic Sci-fi Terrain range here - https://brutalcities.com/collections/fadelight-range

Hey all, just a heads up!
We are about to launch some new terrain. I have been working away on some great new kits including this translucent objective room with sliding doors. More details to come soon. To celebrate we are doing a giveaway if you're interested!

some details here -

Giveaway time! Head on over to Brutalcities.com to see an exclusive pic of some upcoming terrain AND enter the giveaway for the chance to win a $300, $150 or $50 gift voucher - hint (You can use this toward the new kits when they drop, or grab a classic design from the existing collection)

Head on over to https://brutalcities.com/pages/brutal-cities-giveaway
Entries will be chosen on November 12.Full terms on the website, but the important points are here:To enter, participants must submit an entry via the supplied form answering the following question: “Which Brutal Cities product would you most like to win, and why?”- The best and most creative/entertaining three entries, as judged by the Promoter, will win. Entries will be judged solely on creative merit. Goodluck everyone!

Not yet sure what I will call the new kits yet, feel free to suggest some if you like :)

Cheers,
Ryan
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 10:32:58 AM by Brutal Cities »
www.brutalcities.com - Wargaming Architecture

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: [COMMERCIAL] Upcoming Sci-fi / Cyberpunk / Modern 28mm Terrain
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 11:22:11 AM »
Entered; I've always loved Brutalism and these buildings perfectly capture that style!  :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Brutal Cities

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 12:01:40 PM »
Actually I consider these to be more contemporary architecture haha! You will see why when there's a bit more light in the pictures haha. But thank you! And since you'll be signed up you will be notified when we do get back to more 'pure' brutalism - I have a bunch of 15mm designs that are 90% complete from earlier in the year, but got sidetracked with these kits!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 04:05:59 PM »
I can see that; they're looking to be very interesting as well, with the transparency.  8)

I should have clarified though; I was refering to the existing range (so far). I think the style fits Infinity, (ultra)modern, cyberpunk and even 40K. I mean; not all that's monolithic is gothic, right?  ;)

Offline Brutal Cities

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2022, 11:46:51 PM »
Oh I see! Yep fair enough!

And yes! The whole idea behind most of the range available so far is so that customers can get the biggest bang for their buck - Why have three sets of terrain when you can have one that aesthetically can do it all (Mind you, adding even a single building in say, grimdark style for example will make a fair difference to increase immersion.

Actually, a Swedish youtuber who produces really nice videos - 52 Miniatures - Plays mostly AOS (and some stargrave now) and wanted a terrain set that could do fantasy and scifi! You can see his first video about his project here. He reached out to me, so out of curiosity to see how he would pull it off, I sent him a big box of terrain.

Edit - Damn I wish I had more time to post here. I really prefer this to facebook, I'm really glad a proper forum like this is going strong!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 11:49:34 PM by Brutal Cities »

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2022, 09:06:25 PM »
Yes, I've been following him for a bit now; I find his understated Scaninavian delivery quite fun   ;)

And welcome. The average age of LAF's populace is on the gen-X/boomer end of the spectrum, but the atmosphere is really helpful, positive and laid back. Also, there are many really talented people here!  :)

Offline Brutal Cities

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2022, 04:19:05 AM »
I fully agree, that's a good description of him. I had the pleasure of joining him for a live build of a ruin kit. I suspected that as older wargamers seem to tend towards historicals and smaller scale games. Wonder if that will be me later on :)

I'd love to do some roman stuff one day, late roman period is a passion of mine!

Glad to hear that, sounds good!

I actually meant to post the previous release - So as my background is in architecture, I have a passion for the subject and strive to bring the perfect balance of proportion, usability, scale, and affordability to my terrain.
I also aim to make the kits (or most of them) perfectly usable for multiple settings.

Just to elaborate on our convo before - While I market the kits as scifi or cyberpunk, they are actually just modernist designs (With brutalism thrown in for good measure) The fact you can use many of the designs from the 60's onwards to sci-fi and 40k universes means that I think you really get great value from the terrain.

And also due to the architecture background, I try to bring real urban density to gaming tables that are often suburban in scale.

An example of the design philosophy is seen here in the 28mm Modern Ruins -

I'm going to write a blog post on the website on the topic of modern construction methods and ruins when I get a chance, but the idea for these kits was to represent how a reinforced concrete structure would ruin.  99% of the ruins and buildings I have seen so far on the terrain market assume that scifi construction use load bearing masonry construction, even when masonry is not even shown as the building materials!

But these ruins more accurately show how a modern building would ruin - The central circulation core braces the slabs and structure, and the reinforced concrete columns take the load. NOT the facade masonry. The facade is weak and will be blasted away, but the slabs and core and columns should remain intact longer. 

So this means that L shape ruins you see everyone do are not appropriate, the sort of ruins seen in WW2 (and every single 40k table haha) Obviously those sort of ruins make sense for gameplay, as you need to get you hand in there to move the minis! So I designed these to be narrow and tall enough, with some damage and ruined facade pieces so that you can get your hand inside! They work well from all the games I've played in them. I'd lik to do a smaller 2 story version too. (These don't stack like most terrain either, as I find that fiddly and annoying for more than 2 storeys)

More info here > https://brutalcities.com/blogs/news/modern-28mm-ruins-and-terrain-now-stocking-woodlands-scenics

« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 04:38:28 AM by Brutal Cities »

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2022, 03:20:41 PM »
Terrain density/accessibility is always an issue in gaming and gets worse as figure size increases. The huge disparity between the height of a figure and the groundscale of the board mean model buildings are tiny representations. Most 28mm MDF range "houses" are the size of a garden shed compared to a 28/32mm figure.
There are inevitably huge compromises to be made between vertical and horizontal scales so buildings tend to be what "looks OK" and gives the impression of what it is intended to be rather than an actual representation.

It is the "essence" of a particular genre or location that is important to capture, and that tends to come from the clutter or drop in scenics more than the building structures, which are actually better to be fairly neutral. Post Apoc tables can use the same building set as Cyberpunk by swapping out the Neon Signage, Noodle Bars, Hover vehicles and Anime inspired phone booths for rusty stripped modern cars, piles of bin-liners, dumped white goods and soiled mattresses, torn up tramlines and collapsed railings and gantries.
I think the building structures are a canvas on which the terrain is built up rather than being the terrain itself in the same way as is the groundcloth or mat.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 03:22:47 PM by robh »

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2022, 08:38:52 AM »
You hit the nail on the head regarding the structural integrity of different types of buildings 8) (as you should, with your background ;) )

I've always handwaved this away with 40K terrain, going with the assumption that in the 41st millennium, standard template construction is based on load bearing components as opposed to skeleton builds. But it was always nagging in the back of my mind. Glad to see someone is taking up that particular glove and is making ruins based on contemporary building techniques (that actually make sense).

Modernism and brutalism were for the longest time styles I abhorred. I was more taken by Art Nouveau/Jugendstil when I was much younger. This then evolved into a liking of Art Deco instead, and the accompanying Amsterdam School of building. I used to live in buildings of those era's (and older) all my life, and that must have played a part as well.

However, I then moved to a late sixties/early seventies house, and all of my furniture looked out of place. This was a situation I had to live with, and then I came across the Gerry Anderson series UFO. It was made in the late sixties, but took place in the future of 1980. Or; in what they assumed the future would look like. So lots of modernist and brutalist buildings, futurist set pieces and furniture, in bold, bright colours and it was glorious!

All of a sudden I could appreciate my house for what it was and slowly we changed out all of the Art Deco furniture and accessories for sixties futurist equivalents. And I've been in love with the style(s) ever since.

And with UFO being such a favourite of mine, I have a long running, slow burning, project to do it justice on the tabletop. And your buildings would work a treat for that! And them doubling up for Infinity, 40K and other settings is just brilliant.

It's as Robh says; with small scatter terrain additions, the setting changes accordingly, and buildings can be used universally :)

Offline Brutal Cities

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2022, 04:43:11 AM »
Terrain density/accessibility is always an issue in gaming and gets worse as figure size increases. The huge disparity between the height of a figure and the groundscale of the board mean model buildings are tiny representations. Most 28mm MDF range "houses" are the size of a garden shed compared to a 28/32mm figure.
There are inevitably huge compromises to be made between vertical and horizontal scales so buildings tend to be what "looks OK" and gives the impression of what it is intended to be rather than an actual representation.

It is the "essence" of a particular genre or location that is important to capture, and that tends to come from the clutter or drop in scenics more than the building structures, which are actually better to be fairly neutral. Post Apoc tables can use the same building set as Cyberpunk by swapping out the Neon Signage, Noodle Bars, Hover vehicles and Anime inspired phone booths for rusty stripped modern cars, piles of bin-liners, dumped white goods and soiled mattresses, torn up tramlines and collapsed railings and gantries.
I think the building structures are a canvas on which the terrain is built up rather than being the terrain itself in the same way as is the groundcloth or mat.

Absolutely agree, and I think most of the Brutal Cities kits are good as a blank canvas for that. At least that's why my customers have said!
Generally the buildings are more true to scale than any others I have come across. Which has it's own problems if you lack storage space.
I think 1/100 kits are the best. I wish there were more skirmish games at that scale. It also allows for more realistic buildings, you can make them more expansive and interesting. I still need to play more seven days to the river rhine too.

You hit the nail on the head regarding the structural integrity of different types of buildings 8) (as you should, with your background ;) )

I've always handwaved this away with 40K terrain, going with the assumption that in the 41st millennium, standard template construction is based on load bearing components as opposed to skeleton builds. But it was always nagging in the back of my mind. Glad to see someone is taking up that particular glove and is making ruins based on contemporary building techniques (that actually make sense).

Modernism and brutalism were for the longest time styles I abhorred. I was more taken by Art Nouveau/Jugendstil when I was much younger. This then evolved into a liking of Art Deco instead, and the accompanying Amsterdam School of building. I used to live in buildings of those era's (and older) all my life, and that must have played a part as well.

However, I then moved to a late sixties/early seventies house, and all of my furniture looked out of place. This was a situation I had to live with, and then I came across the Gerry Anderson series UFO. It was made in the late sixties, but took place in the future of 1980. Or; in what they assumed the future would look like. So lots of modernist and brutalist buildings, futurist set pieces and furniture, in bold, bright colours and it was glorious!

All of a sudden I could appreciate my house for what it was and slowly we changed out all of the Art Deco furniture and accessories for sixties futurist equivalents. And I've been in love with the style(s) ever since.

And with UFO being such a favourite of mine, I have a long running, slow burning, project to do it justice on the tabletop. And your buildings would work a treat for that! And them doubling up for Infinity, 40K and other settings is just brilliant.

It's as Robh says; with small scatter terrain additions, the setting changes accordingly, and buildings can be used universally :)

Thanks for sharing your interior story - I love Art Noveau and Art Deco also! I'd love live in house or apartment from any of those eras. Lately brick 1960's apartments have been my obsession.

I whipped this up over the weekend. Pretty happy with it!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 04:51:28 AM by Brutal Cities »

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2022, 09:23:13 AM »
Nice; a universal greenhouse? I like it; that should have plenty of applications in a range of environments :)

Brick still is the most widely used building material over here; the Netherlands is basically one huge estuary, so we're literally swimming in clay. It's only been since the early sixties that concrete has crawled out of the niche it previously was in and has become a mainstream building material. And even then, most concrete constructions get bricked over because of aesthetics (the house I live in is a prime example of this).

Which is also the reason why modernist and brutalist architecture has never found much support or enthousiasm over here; people traditionally prefer brick buildings I suppose. Also; because of the housing boom in the sixties, loads of crappy concrete blocks were also plonked down everywhere, cementing (hah!) the notion that concrete=sh*t.

There are still some gems in there, but they get treated with the same distaste as those pre-fabbed, cheap and ugly concrete appartments and houses of the era. Which is a shame, if you ask me, and many are either being torn down by now or get a 'facelift', which results in stuff that is neither here nor there and probably only delays the inevitable by a decade or so.

Have you ever scrolled through this website? It's pretty awesome...

Also, I'd like to express my surprise and elation at learning that my entry in your competition, up there in the thread, has been chosen as the winner!

Entering was easy, but choosing which buildings I'd want now is going to be the hard part! But obviously the Bruteopolis Plaza is going to be on the list 8)

Offline Brutal Cities

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2022, 04:07:22 AM »
Oh gosh, I'm glad I posted here about it then!
Congrats for your win!
Loved the entry, really cracked me up.

Yeah totally, the top comes off yoo so you can use it as a tent, and a separate small walled garden :)
Nice link thanks, reminds me of tumblrs I used to follow.

Ah, well that's a shame, but at least there's a lot of great brick based brutalism, and even more modernism! I've seen some great Architecture form the Netherlands over the years.

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2022, 09:59:56 AM »
I've been eyeing up this terrain for a good long while. IMO it's the best stuff on the market at the moment so well played.

The only things holding me back are storage restrictions, the thought of shipping costs/duties and the backlog of stuff I've got on the go.

One day...

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2022, 10:24:48 AM »
Yeah, brick architecture definitely has its moments, but when thinking about futuristic buildings, concrete wins over brick every time. Probably because we've been building with brick for thousands of years and concrete has made good its return to architecture only a hundred years or so?

And when looking at the greenhouse, the first thing that came to mind was an early Martian colony. Must have been the lighting :)

I've been eyeing up this terrain for a good long while. IMO it's the best stuff on the market at the moment so well played.
I totally agree, and cheers :D

I finally decided on the Bruteopolis Plaza Tower, Infinity Systems Data center and The Institute. these will be stonkin' big pieces of realestate on the table and storagewise, but this was the time to get them!

The only things holding me back are storage restrictions, the thought of shipping costs/duties and the backlog of stuff I've got on the go...
I suppose I'll worry about the storage when the time comes, and shipping and customs will bite (hard), but with the prize at least, it'll hurt a lot less ::)

Offline Brutal Cities

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2022, 01:35:32 AM »

The only things holding me back are storage restrictions, the thought of shipping costs/duties and the backlog of stuff I've got on the go.

One day...

Well, at least the new designs are very storage friendly! Lightweight too. Check out the new blog post. It's the story about the design.
We also have a sale on at the moment, and the new kits are finally out!

https://brutalcities.com/blogs/news/fadelight-terrain-launch