Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:07:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690462
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Wargames Foundry Plastic Ancient Germans  (Read 2504 times)

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: Wargames Foundry Plastic Ancient Germans
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2022, 12:59:23 PM »
Regarding spears on plastic figures - they can be very brittle esp the Victrix ones. I have found that using wire spears marketed by 15mm companies work best as they are thinner than the traditional wire spears sold by North Star, etc which works well with small plastic hands. I can't remember which company I bought my 15mm spears from but they are long enough to be used for javelins/throwing spears for 28mm and are thin enough to go into the small delicate plastic hands if your drill bit is fine enough. I'll edit this post when I remember where I bought the spears from as it'll probably come to me in a random moment later!  lol

I've remembered! Xyston miniatures! Recommended for those wanting thinner spears than the average 28mm wire spear variants.

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
Re: Wargames Foundry Plastic Ancient Germans
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2022, 02:09:13 PM »
I don’t really understand why anyone would pay premium prices for the Wargames Factory ancient Germans or Gauls, even if they are out of production. They were difficult to get into natural looking poses and the details were pretty soft. In my opinion, there are way better figures out now, even if you have to do some kit bashing for some troop types.

The parallel to the Foundry poses the original poster shows is interesting- the designers definitely seem to have drawn on the older metal figures for inspiration.

I don’t know if anyone is paying premium prices. Lots of stuff on eBay is listed very high but it does not mean it sells.

I would not pay a premium price (I believe Warlord Games is charging premium prices for the old Wargames Factory sets - they are now certainly double what WGF charged for them). 

I happen to have a number of boxes I never finished (started) because it was so hard to get them into natural looking poses.

Noting how they are essentially copies of the Wargames Factory figures has made getting the poses a bit better a little easier. 

That includes using arms from their Numidians kit (more variety, now arms being arm and bow moulded as one).

If the price is anywhere near even half of the Victrix set, but the Victrix set - it’s worth the money in comparison.  If it’s more than half the price of Victrix just leave it.