Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:59:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686668
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dragon Rampant rules questions  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Dukewilliam

• Bookworm
Dragon Rampant rules questions
« on: November 06, 2022, 06:40:28 PM »
Men,

A few questions on how to handle clerics and wizards in DR.

If I put either in a unit, do I pay points for the unit and points for the magic user? So, a 4 point wizard added to a 4 point unit is 8 points, correct? Seems simple enough, but I want to clarify.

If I choose to activate the MU to cast a spell, does that mean that the unit then cannot activate? Can the wizard cast and the unit move, taking the wizard with them, for example? Conversely, if the unit decides to activate and attack, does the wizard attack? Assuming it's a 12 model unit, do they still get 12 attacks? Is it actually the wizard plus eleven other dudes, or is it 12 guys in the unit plus the wizard, making 13 models? I absolutely love the rules but I don't think this part is clear. It is also possible I am just a dope and haven't figured it out yet.

If not, then the only purpose I can see for the unit is to absorb hits and keep the MU alive. In this case one could just pay the points for the parent unit and then substitute models and make it a small init, correct? Like a wizard and two spiders, each with 4 hit points.

Sorry to be obtuse, any help appreciated.

Thanks.
Steve

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Dragon Rampant rules questions
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 07:29:59 PM »
The wizard isn’t added to a unit - it is a characteristic added to a unit. The way you represent the unit is flexible, it could be a single wizard model with 12 damage points (or 6, depending on what unit type you start with), or you could have one figure per damage point, with the wizard being the last figure removed (which would represent a wizard ‘embedded’ in a unit of soldiers.

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 07:31:59 PM »
Hi Steve,

If I put either in a unit, do I pay points for the unit and points for the magic user? So, a 4 point wizard added to a 4 point unit is 8 points, correct? Seems simple enough, but I want to clarify.

Yep, that's right. The 'wizard' is a fantastical rule bought for the unit.

If I choose to activate the MU to cast a spell, does that mean that the unit then cannot activate? Can the wizard cast and the unit move, taking the wizard with them, for example? Conversely, if the unit decides to activate and attack, does the wizard attack? Assuming it's a 12 model unit, do they still get 12 attacks? Is it actually the wizard plus eleven other dudes, or is it 12 guys in the unit plus the wizard, making 13 models?

As the 'wizard' is a rule for the unit, then it can either attempt to activate the spell or attempt one of the other ordered activations that turn. The unit can only attempt one Ordered Activation per turn.

And again, as the 'wizard' is a bolt on to the unit the attack/defence stats remain the same.

If not, then the only purpose I can see for the unit is to absorb hits and keep the MU alive. In this case one could just pay the points for the parent unit and then substitute models and make it a small init, correct? Like a wizard and two spiders, each with 4 hit points.

I love the fact that in DR I can model the unit any way I damn well please. If I want to represent my elite unit as 2 pixies with 3 strength points each, and my opponent agrees, then that's fine and doesn't really effect how the game plays. And if you wanted to use a single wizard model to represent the unit you can - he's just a super-buff hero-wizard.

Hope that's helpful.

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2022, 10:56:14 AM »
"the only purpose I can see for the unit is to absorb hits and keep the MU alive."

This is correct. And this is fine.

Take a look at the profiles of your options, because they will play a role in how you use that particular unit. I have found that an elite foot bodyguard is a waste of time. Save the two points and buy heavy foot instead. You're not going to be using the attack option so you're most often be fighting defensively. That means you want that 4+ on defense over a 4+ on Attack.  Yes, the armor value falls from 4 to 3, but with 6 extra strength points, you come out ahead.

Offline Dukewilliam

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2022, 05:53:39 PM »
Thanks men,

As stated I have no problem with the rules working this way, I just wanted to make sure I will be doing it right. Just to be sure, a wizard in a 12 man heavy infantry unit then gets 12 dice in attack, right? Even if it's just him and a couple of BFF's? A wizard and two spiders, for instance.

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2022, 07:58:26 PM »
Correct. I usually give each figure in a unit equal wounds, to limit table clutter.

Usually.

In your example of a wizard and two spiders, I would give the wizard six wounds and each spider three.  When the unit is down by three wounds, remove one spider, and remove the second when it falls to six remaining strength points.  Seeing the wizard standing alone helps remind me that he only gets six dice on attack/defense.

Bear in mind that reduced model units come with benefits and penalties. The good news is, it's easier to heighten them behind terrain features. The bad news is they cover less ground. The smaller number of models simply takes up less tablespace. That little bit of geometry makes reduced model units slightly less useful in a territorial defense role. Probably not an issue for a wizard unit, but it's definitely an issue for those light and heavy infantry units.

Offline Dukewilliam

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2022, 07:25:00 PM »
Ah, I hadn't realized I could give members of the same unit different hit points as per your example. That is excellent news!

Re geometry: thanks for the insight.

Steve