Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:50:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Luke warm in Libya! - fuel dump  (Read 14777 times)

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
Re: DAK Project - scenery
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2023, 07:44:35 AM »
This is a nice project indeed
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2023, 01:59:39 PM »
Cheers 😉

Still a little soft in places but realising I’d used cheap pva it will take a while.  However I patient as I am, I’ve sanded it, so you get the idea now. Each piece about two foot long.   When dry, I need to seal any exposed plaster with diluted pva, then spot fill any sand before undercoating.    I personally think this will look very North African……but it still needs work…..

« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 02:07:03 PM by Digits »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2023, 04:12:47 PM »
I think it is looking fine so far.

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
  • The Older I get the better I was.. . . .
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2023, 04:18:54 PM »
Wow! Digits, Prolific doesn't begin to cover your output. More splendid work I must say and I've been looking at Cork bark myself but I don't know how suitable it would be for NW Europe Commando raids etc. Did you get the treated stuff or sort it/sterilise by your own methods?
JB

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2023, 04:32:04 PM »
Hmmm…sterilised?    At the risk of sounding like an idiot…I wasn’t aware this was an issue?

I can understand it if sticking some in say a reptile tank…..otherwise I assumed sealing it and painting it would be sufficient no?

As for use in NW Europe…….point du hoc?    Lots of cliff action there…..and there are rocky escarpments everywhere surely?    Pop some in a woodland…that would look cool.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 04:34:47 PM by Digits »

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
  • The Older I get the better I was.. . . .
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2023, 06:20:52 PM »
Hmmm…sterilised?    At the risk of sounding like an idiot…I wasn’t aware this was an issue?

I can understand it if sticking some in say a reptile tank…..otherwise I assumed sealing it and painting it would be sufficient no?

As for use in NW Europe…….point du hoc?    Lots of cliff action there…..and there are rocky escarpments everywhere surely?    Pop some in a woodland…that would look cool.

It's only I read some blurb saying this particular lot had been sterilised/treated to get rid of bugs etc and foolishly made an assumption that was standard. Knowing slightly less than nothing about this I'd agree sealing and painting should be fine. Thanks for the suggestions too, much appreciated

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2023, 07:53:00 PM »
With natural products it helps to sterilize.  It will kill any fungus or bugs that might be hiding in it and dry it thoroughly.  Bark, sand dirt or twigs can get all get baked on an old cookie tray.  Fan assist 70c for an hour to an hour and a half will do it. 

Years ago I had a small mushroom grow out of a terrain base when it got humid.  Had to scrap the whole piece in the end. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2023, 07:54:37 PM »
A small mushroom?   I consider that a bonus! 😁

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2023, 11:02:48 PM »
A small mushroom?   I consider that a bonus! 😁

Not if it didn't leave...mushroom for the figures. lol lol lol

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2023, 09:06:14 AM »
Oh dear! 

Right, moving on a pace, priming done….once this is dry, we should get a little paint work done!

Also, as this is a Digits scenic piece…I’m planning to include a little fauna….

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2023, 10:03:06 AM »
David, I saw a video recently where they made scenery out of expanded polystyrene.
The kind that comes with just about any large parcel to protect the 'goods'.
To stop it crumbling/breaking they coated it, when modeled, with 'gunk'.
The gunk was:- Flour, water, salt (kills or 'sterilizes' the mix) & a cheap paint (e.g. match-pot).
They said that one or two coats was enough & tapped the example with a steel ruler to
show how tough it now was.
Thought it might be of interested to you.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2023, 10:22:20 AM »
Interesting thanks.   I’m hoping not to have to make too many more though….storage might be an issue here 😕 but I’m hoping the amount of pva, and superglue on this should provide an adequate barrier.    Where there were still soft spots in the drying filler, I costed the top in cheap superglue when sanding.   

I may however spray all future cork projects in antiseptic spray before using though just to be safe.

The one thing I’m happy with here is the use of the hard foam board.   Unlike the paper covered foam mounting boards…this stuff doesn’t warp and is still relatively lightweight.   

I bought a full box each sheet being nearly two foot long.   I’m kinda practicing here with these bits as I intend to use it for making a decent set of river boards…..something that’s been on my radar a while.    They will have a few low cork escarpments in places and a gorge with waterfall for my jungle adventures.  Anyway, that’s for later….

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: DAK Project - first completed models - rock formations
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2023, 02:56:33 PM »
I need to order some more material for the sparse ground cover, but otherwise this piece is done!

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: DAK Project - Wadi al - Sysfatha
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2023, 03:24:24 PM »
And complete wadi!

Offline brunei35

• Scientist
Re: DAK Project - Wadi al - Syafatha
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2023, 03:59:51 PM »
Nicely done  :)