Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:08:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686467
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Luke warm in Libya! - a certain archaeologist!  (Read 11673 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: DAK Project - early days
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2023, 11:48:03 PM »
Digits, there are very nice Germans - from Khurasan - that I've already acquired.  Alas, they are not in the pith helmet.  I guess I could try some modifications but I'm not sure my skill set is up to that task - replacing heads - and not botching up both the head and the figure!  :o

However, shall be watching your progress here for further inspiration.

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: DAK Project - early days
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2023, 12:11:06 AM »
Hmmm…can’t help there.

However found a useful article on DAK headwear.

https://alexanderandsonsrestorations.com/afrika-tan-german-helmet-north-africa/
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 10:13:32 PM by Digits »

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: DAK Project - scenery
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2023, 01:16:40 PM »
So thoughts are turning to scenery.

As I said earlier in the thread, there are many geological features in the northern Sahara.  It’s semi arid in most of the north, so there are spare grass lands and scratchy trees in some areas, rocky stone plateaus (hamada), gravel plains (reg) and sand seas with large dunes (ergs).  Scarce rainfall and driving winds have created wadis, gorges, rock features etc.   there are salt lakes and sunken flat dry lakes and other features.   The wadis tend to have scrub and trees in them as they are moisture traps.   

So, as I need a few geological features, I decided to break out the cork I bought.   This is under half of it but I’ve rough cut it into manageable heights and some will go on these two bases to form escarpment frontages / wadi / gorge sides.

I also need a kopje for my Daftest Africa thread so will make it useable for both settings.    Rather than one large kopje, I may make it in two halves, so it can be split and used at the board edge.

Just wondering what to use to build up the backs…..and I will make a start.

Edit:

First basic shaping…..now to figure out how to proceed next! Lol

« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 02:12:33 PM by Digits »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2023, 09:01:49 PM »
David, have you thought of expanding foam?
Poundland has some at the moment (£2.50).
After you've sprayed it, let it set. It can then
be cut &/or sanded.

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2023, 10:29:35 PM »
That’s a damned good idea me thinks!  Cheers

Edit:  these will be be a good background addition me thinks.  Will kill a few birds with one stone.   I wanted to use these with my Daftest Africa…..slavers to work with Zanzibaris.  They will also work when I finally get to do my long term ambition to tackle the French Foreign Legion ( but that’s a way off yet).  I will buy a set of Warlord camels to complete the train in time.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 01:17:30 PM by Digits »

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2023, 05:18:38 PM »
OMG!  It’s horrible stuff! Lol

I think I used a bit much……I bough5 a large tin and it ran ou5 after these two parts and one of the escarpments!

It sticks to bloody EVERYTHING !

Let’s hope it cures well and I can shape it to something useful……

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2023, 05:25:23 PM »
Let’s hope it cures well and I can shape it to something useful……
It will take time to cure.  It can be used but not very well.  When you cut the surface it will look like a bunch of bubbles so it will take a lot of filling or have to be capped.  Every one of my experiments with this stuff has not turned out particularly well. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2023, 05:36:56 PM »
Cheers….yes I intended to cap it off with a filler / pva mix which to be fair.    Having never used the stuff I’m surprised how it keeps expanding, despite having sprayed it 45 minutes ago.   I feel it is probably the right call, but I’m not keen on using it too often!

Anyway, I’m going to need another can at least.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2023, 06:06:11 PM »
It does dry David. When it does you can cut & sand it, much as you
would 'Blue foam'. I figure that you want a (fairly) flat top & that
should be easy to do with a saw. It will create a lot of 'saw-dust'
so be careful (Don't upset the wife by leaving the 'dust' all over
the place.)

Edit:  these will be be a good background addition me thinks.  Will kill a few birds with one stone.   I wanted to use these with my Daftest Africa…..slavers to work with Zanzibaris.  They will also work when I finally get to do my long term ambition to tackle the French Foreign Legion ( but that’s a way off yet).  I will buy a set of Warlord camels to complete the train in time.

Hey everybody! David's got the...hump.  lol lol lol

Offline Freddy

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2023, 07:46:07 PM »
This stuff is made to fill gaps, id does expand, thats the goal :) But it also has a deactivator, you can spray it after drying and it deflates it nicely. Here it is sold the same size of spray can bottle as lacquer, so do not make the same mistake as I did when switched the two :)

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2023, 08:39:38 AM »
Well….not quite what I was expecting…..I thought foam would be harder…..none the less I think with a suitable crust of mixed filler and pva, it should be ok.

The larger of these two halves was soft in the middle and wet.   Maybe I was too keen… however, filling it with off cuts has fleshed it out a bit.

The escarpment seems to have done better.

Before I rush out to buy another can, I think I will concentrate on finishing these ones.  If they work, that’s three / two  good sized pieces of board scenery……let’s see…..

Edit:

So, a little contouring with off cuts of foam board for spills and sand collections against the cliff bases, then a bit like cake icing, a good mix of filler and pva which will take an age to dry, but should give a good solid crust.  Anyway, will give me time to work on the AK…..

« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 05:25:05 PM by Digits »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2023, 03:26:02 PM »
Looking better David. :)

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2023, 05:26:49 PM »
Cheers….waiting game now.   I suspect it will take a couple of days to fully harden before I can add sand etc.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2023, 09:52:20 PM »
I suspect it will take a couple of days to fully harden before I can add sand etc.
Just a suggestion for your escarpments.  http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com/2016/07/realistic-sand-runnels-or-erosion.html  Did this years ago and they are still going strong. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 09:54:58 PM by snitcythedog »

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2023, 11:56:54 PM »
Cheers, I use that method a lot myself too…..but I’ve started by creating the stacked base with foam card and plaster….will save on sand and superglue then.   But flip or small runnels it will work perfectly well…good call.