Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:34:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Spartacus' army  (Read 15737 times)

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Spartacus' army
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2022, 07:16:20 PM »
He’s one of the little known gladiator types called an ‘agricolus’, who fought in staged bouts using only farm implements. The bouts were very popular in rural areas, but were banned in 52AD after being linked to several riots by agricultural labourers. The government of the time also introduced reforms in the design of agricultural tools, such as the tineless pitchfork, but those measures were discontinued following dramatic reductions in productivity and the severe grain riots of 53AD. The agricolii gladiators never regained their standing and faded from history, but it is thought that the tradition may have been carried on in frontier areas in the north and provided the inspiration for the sport of hurling and eventually ice hockey.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 07:59:11 PM by Pattus Magnus »

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2022, 09:20:08 PM »
He’s one of the little known gladiator types called an ‘agricolus’, who fought in staged bouts using only farm implements. The bouts were very popular in rural areas, but were banned in 52AD after being linked to several riots by agricultural labourers. The government of the time also introduced reforms in the design of agricultural tools, such as the tineless pitchfork, but those measures were discontinued following dramatic reductions in productivity and the severe grain riots of 53AD. The agricolii gladiators never regained their standing and faded from history, but it is thought that the tradition may have been carried on in frontier areas in the north and provided the inspiration for the sport of hurling and eventually ice hockey.

Really interesting!  I am pretty well versed in Gladiators, but this was some new information to me.  Thanks!
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2022, 09:46:19 PM »
The agricolii are easy to overlook, the carvings and frescoes depicting matches have often been misinterpreted as harvest scenes. It is also difficult to discern their gladiatorial equipment from farm implements in the archaeological record.

One of the models at the front of the picture also is demonstrating the tineless pitchfork. He may also be a post-52AD agricolus from one of the unlicensed bouts following the ban.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2022, 05:06:28 PM »
(Just to be clear, the agricolus, or “farmer”, gladiator didn’t actually exist - my posts above are meant as a parody of reinterpretation of archaeological information.)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2022, 10:59:48 PM »
Okay, thanks to clarifying because I had not heard of them before so I was about to go looking for details!

A lot of people think the Scissori is/was real too.  However, it is highly doubtful.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2022, 12:58:32 AM »
You had us going there, Pattus Magnus, full credit there mate  lol
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2022, 01:40:18 AM »
Okay, now I’m glad I ‘fessed up fairly quickly, I would feel bad if folks wasted a lot of time looking for agricolii! After I sent the initial post I was expecting someone to call BS fairly quickly. Then when Easy E replied to thank me for the info I thought maybe he was playing along and waiting to see whether I would blink first, so I sent the follow up post!

Having gone and derailed the thread, I should add that the gladiator/ freed slave units look great. Putting together something similar is on my ‘someday list’ so it’s great to have inspiring examples to refer to!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 01:43:19 AM by Pattus Magnus »

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2022, 11:31:20 AM »
...I mean, "tineless pitchforks" was pretty big clue that PM was pulling our legs, no?  ;) I mean, just think about it for a second; how would that even work??! Anyway, fair play on the joke, I enjoyed it! lol

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2022, 03:21:48 PM »
I guess I figured it was the guy holding something that looked like an ancient Garden Weasel.  The metal hooks replacing the tines, so tineless. 

Or perhaps I was just too excited to read something new about Gladiators that I had not heard before?  Either way, I was duped!

lol lol lol lol lol

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2022, 04:12:09 PM »
It’s all about the delivery!  ;)

Offline nikkobourges

• Librarian
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2022, 08:41:02 PM »
Hello,

Overview...

Nikkobourges

Online rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2022, 08:53:09 PM »
Looking good. :-* :-*

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2022, 09:08:50 PM »
Yes indeed, those look great! I like the variety of figures in both groups, it gives the impression that they are part of an irregular force. The painting and basing all works very well.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2022, 03:43:36 PM »
Most irregular!

I love it!

Offline Freddy

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2022, 05:32:16 PM »
What a great looking force, it is really colourful, yet the style and the basing brings them together very well.