Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:46:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WW1 project in 1/35  (Read 9475 times)

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
WW1 project in 1/35
« on: November 12, 2022, 11:32:37 AM »
After the similar topic for ww2
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=138659.0
I make one for my ww1 project too.

There is no real reason I am using this scale beyond personal preference and that it fits my other figure collections. The main line of my collection is the army of Austria-Hungary, and of course, I also need some opponents for them- a lot of possibilities here, the KuK troops fought for 5 years on 4 fronts, an often overlooked part of ww1 history where everybody is just thinking about the mud grinding on the West and rarely asks the question why those generals were so delusional dreaming about great breakthroughs and invasions- the answer being that because these things actually happened in the East, where the war was less static, and sometimes the great artillery duels and desperate assaults through no-mans-land ended in gains on several hundred kilometers instead of just several hundred meters.

The system I use is the same as I wrote in the ww2 thread, the figures are based individually but also can be placed on squad bases to represent bigger formations- whatever the system I am playing requires. I have my own system for playing skirmishes, but there are a lot of ww1 systems to choose from, I want to try several of them, Westfront being the latest I actually played.

So, Austria-Hungary. Most of the figures are factory kits, I painted them as the 3rd honvéd infantry regiment of Debrecen, this is the unit my ancestors fought in, and the regiment fought both on the Russian and on the Italian fronts, so I do not rape historical accuracy too much by playing them. The figures themselves are "generic" Austro-Hungarians, that is OK, as the war progressed, most of the units got generic gear instead of their carefully regulated pre-war uniforms: Honvéds had different trousers and instead of marking the regiments by the combination of button and collar colours, the collar had branch colours (slate grey for infantry) and the regiment was marked by its number on the side of the cap. The custom of cap numbers also disappeared quickly, but I kept them, it looks cool.
An earlier group shot:

Now these are my sculpts:

Some factory-made resins:

I have a lots of officers:

This guy acts as the leader of the army for now:

The machine gun guy will need some ammo in his hands:

A pilot and an armoured car crew (still vithout a car, but not for long)

Another pilot. I plan to include some planes into the games too (I have some 1/72 ones), that is when these pilots will come handy as downed pilots.

Stormtroopers. In the later stages of the war Austria-Hungary also introduced a greenish uniform similar to the one of the Germans, but only the newly equipped soldiers got it, the grey then became the mark of "old" soldiers, and, according to memoirs, the stormtroopers were chosen from the more experienced ones first.

A little trench gun.

A bigger one (7,5cm mountain gun)

...and some really big ones, you sometimes want to finish the game after 1 round :) (two 30,5cm mortars and a 42cm one)

The artilleryman is my sculpt.

Recently sculpted some new ones too, cast in resin, this figure can be equipped as an infantryman too:

This is it for Austria-Hungary now, I can not even start what else I will need for this army, I will start with some more infantrymen.

The ally, the German Empire also has some figures (plastic kits), they sometimes fought together, for example at my my favourite ww1 battle, the retaking of Przemysl.

They also have this late war officer:

Talking of fighting on 4 fronts, the biggest one was the Russian one. The core of the Russians are plastic kits:

They have a machine gun too:

To make them a bigger army, I sculpted some rank&file for them:

Attack of the Clones, yay. Now this is a funny picture, but I plan to sculpt more, so they will be mixed nicely, the copies wont be so obvious.

The Italian front. They say that the Vietnam war was the war with the best soundtrack, now the ww1 Italian front was certainly the one with the best panoramic views. The battles were fought in the beautiful Southern Alps, and sometimes that evil 400 meters between the two lines were not a horizontal but a vertical distance. Fighting a war here was not a pleasant affair though, what Somme means the English and Verdun for the French, the symbol of endless, hopeless, remorseless ww1 bloodbath, for the Hungarians it is the Doberdo plateu here.
I am now focusing on the Tzars army, so the Italian one is growing slower.

I also have some English soldiers, they took part here in the later stages of the war:

For the Romanian and the Serbian front I do not have opponent figures yet- I'd like to finish the first two for now.

I made some paintings to be used as smoke and gas clouds:

I do not have much battle pictures, this was from one of my first games:

And these photos from Westfront games. The Italians and the English here fight as part of the Russian army, so kind of an Antant all-stars.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: WW1 project in 1/35
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 07:27:13 PM »
Fantastic work. Excellent painting  :)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 07:32:49 PM »
A great set of figures - really like these.

Can I suggest you get some new trees, the aquarium ones look rather jungle like. I like the Faller railway ones that are plastic trunks and branches that you attach clump foliage to. The ones I have are smaller scale, but I suspect bigger ones are available as there are lots of railway scales.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2022, 09:51:03 AM »
Beautiful miniatures !!
, ,

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 10:46:03 AM »
Fantastic work. Excellent painting
A great set of figures - really like these.
Beautiful miniatures !!

Thank you!

Can I suggest you get some new trees, the aquarium ones look rather jungle like. I like the Faller railway ones that are plastic trunks and branches that you attach clump foliage to. The ones I have are smaller scale, but I suspect bigger ones are available as there are lots of railway scales.

Sure there is, I even have some, thing is
1.) They are based individually. I will need some proper forest bases for them, since now I am a packing them onto the unused squad bases, but that does not look so natural, more of a garden or park than a forest. I will need something with more random outline.

2.) I am just lazy, aquarium foliage is so much easier to handle and so durable+always at hand since I use them for scifi gaming too.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2022, 10:52:24 AM »
Beautiful. 

Concept, figures and painting.   :)

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2022, 08:38:18 PM »

Nice work.  I'm glad to see someone doing this.  I model armor in 1/35 and some figures and I have been surprised to see how many nice WW1 figures exist in this scale.  I haven't been brave enough to do them for gaming.  ...  Yet ...

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2022, 07:41:44 PM »
Beautiful.
Concept, figures and painting.   :)
Nice work.  I'm glad to see someone doing this. 

Thank you!

I model armor in 1/35 and some figures and I have been surprised to see how many nice WW1 figures exist in this scale.  I haven't been brave enough to do them for gaming.  ...  Yet

It existed for a while in resin, but around the anniversary in 2014 the company ICM started to release plastic boxes- they had English and German Stormtroopers before, but now they released an infantry box (of 4)  and a machine gun team for at least the greater powers, constantly adding new stuff like Turkish infantry, late war French or armoured stormtroopers to USA and Italy. Even better, for their kits they designed an accessory sprue too, which is sold separately too- a great help for sculpting and kitbashing.
Also now there are other companies doing vehicles, artillery and figures, the latter concentrating on the Western front mostly. My biggest 1/35 modeling surprise of the 2000s was the boom of the Warsaw Pact theme, for the 2010s it is the boom of ww1 kits :)

It is never enough ofc, I am sculpting now some more Austro-Hungarian infantry.

Offline FiatRevelli

• Student
    • 54mm Or Fight!
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2022, 08:39:35 PM »
Fantastic stuff! I game WW1 in 1/32 (Italians vs Austria-Hungary) and am now adding some 1/35 for Weird War I. I'll be following your project with interest!

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2022, 10:14:53 PM »
Fantastic stuff! I game WW1 in 1/32 (Italians vs Austria-Hungary) and am now adding some 1/35 for Weird War I. I'll be following your project with interest!

I would be interested in seeing how you approach this, I hope you start a WWWI thread.
Since I picked up all the "Never Going Home" books from Humble Bundle I have been looking at how to skirmish game it.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2022, 08:33:35 PM »
Speaking as another descendant of WW1 Austro-Hungarian veterans, I was very interested in seeing your collection.  Bravo.

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2022, 08:39:29 PM »

Thank you! I am also interested in your project, always preferred steampunk leaning to the alternative ww1 side.

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2022, 10:02:26 AM »
The standard rifle for Austro-Hungarian infantry was the Mannlicher 95M rifle. Straight-pull bolt action system, 8mm calibre. It comes in many kits, but I made my own version for casting.

It had 3 main versions, the one above is the full-length version for infantry, but there were two shorter ones, one for cavalry, one for artillerymen- these two only differed in the mounting of the strap. The latter became the standard ww2 rifle for the Hungarian Army. I made it earler:

It also comes with a bayonet, I have an original piece as a family relic, the 1/35 version is based on that.

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2022, 11:49:34 AM »
Same here as in my ww2 thread, a year closig K. u. K. group shot because I made new holding boxes so I had to make a little bit of reorganization.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2023, 08:47:24 PM »
What a wonderful KuK collection !