Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 04:47:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691273
  • Total Topics: 118383
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ossewa Brandwag - South African pulp?  (Read 2109 times)

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
Ossewa Brandwag - South African pulp?
« on: October 19, 2009, 09:03:49 PM »
I just finished re-reading "Power of the Sword" by Wilbur Smith, great author, great books. This particular title included the "pulpish" element of Ossewa Brandwag ("oxwagon sentinel"), which was the South-African Nazi movement before and during WW2. I can see images of new scenarios for my Boer miniatures...

Wikipedia:

However, not all South Africans supported the war effort. The Anglo-Boer war had ended only thirty five years earlier and to some, siding with the "enemy" was considered disloyal and unpatriotic. These sentiments gave rise to "The Ossewabrandwag" ("Oxwagon Sentinel"), originally created as a cultural organisation on the Centenary of the Great Trek becoming more militant and openly opposing South African entry into the war on side of the British. The organisation created a paramilitary group called Stormjaers ('storm chasers'), modelled on the Nazi SA or Sturmabteilung ("Storm Division") and which was linked to the German Intelligence (Abwehr) and the German Foreign Office (Dienstelle Ribbentrop) via Dr. Luitpold Werz - the former German Consul in Pretoria. The Stormjaers carried out a number of sabotage attacks against the Smuts government and activly tried to itimidate and discourage volunteers from joining the army recruitment programs.[6] Many members of the Ossewabrandwag were incarcerated during the war, amongst them - John Vorster, who would later become Prime Minister. After the war, the Ossewabrandwag went underground and a number of its erstwhile members, including future South African State President P.W. Botha, went on to rise in the ranks of the Apartheid government.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Ossewa Brandwag - South African pulp?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
WOW! thats intresting, what are you planing on doing with this?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Ossewa Brandwag - South African pulp?
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 04:43:17 PM »
I have always been intrigued by the Boer Wars. Both the 1st War 1881 and the 2nd 1899 are interesting conflicts from a historic and wargaming perspective. When reading about, what you can call the "3rd War", the revolt in 1914 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maritz_Rebellion) and now the Ossewa Brandwag during WW2 I can see a lot of interesting scenarios in front of me including Boers, WW1 Germans, Black natives, British, WW1/WW2 German agents, German submarines....many possibilities!