Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:23:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690716
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 839
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What minis games have an AI opponent?  (Read 2277 times)

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
Re: What minis games have an AI opponent?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2023, 09:37:36 PM »
More akin to heroquest (so a miniature based board game rather than a proper miniature wargame), Gloomhaven has "AI" controlled enemies.

Offline Ham Solo

• Student
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2023, 03:37:47 AM »
More akin to heroquest (so a miniature based board game rather than a proper miniature wargame), Gloomhaven has "AI" controlled enemies.

If this interests you, try Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion. It's usually $25ish on Amazon. Well worth it. You can use the miniatures in other games. Look it up on Boardgamegeek.com.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2023, 06:45:02 PM »
- Chain Reaction from Two-Hour Wargames.  Most of Two-Hours wargames have solo stuff.
- The Walking Dead from Mantic
- Under the Martian Yoke on the Wargame Vault
- Zona Alfa from Osprey Games
- Zero Dark from Precinct Omega

Those are ones that I do not think have been mentioned, but it is a long thread. 

Here are a couple of blog posts about solo-game design in general that maybe useful to you as well:

Scenarios:
http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2020/06/wargame-design-solo-wargaming-scenarios.html

Deployment:
http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2020/05/wargame-design-solo-gaming-deployment.html
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2023, 07:26:42 AM »
I have done a lot of work on solo wargame, mostly with Rangers of Shadow Deep, but also with Frostgrave, Stargrave, and Silver Bayonet.  I have found, in most cases, it works better to play against 'a scenario' than it is a 'specific opponent'. An opponent is never going to be intelligent using a simple AI system, so the challenge needs to come from elsewhere, and just beefing up the opponent often leads to a slog.

Yeah, that. A more common solo mechanic reminds me of 80's videogames. (: Each turn, the game throws more bad guys at you, so you're overwhelmed if you don't achieve the objective in time!
* Core Space
* Lasting Tales

fyi, Battle Systems will have a Maladum dungeon-themed solo/coop game, based on the Core Space mechanics. Even if you're not shopping for a new game, it will have terrain suitable for dungeon skirmish!
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2023, 08:08:37 AM »
Planet 28 has solo rules with enemy A.I. as well.1st edition has them as an add on,but they're included in the core rules of 2nd edition.

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2023, 11:05:53 AM »
Most of the games mentioned are skirmish games but i'd be curious to see what larger game/mass battle rules there are that have an AI? I guess TMWWBK could be categorised as that.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2023, 03:09:33 PM »
Men of Bronze has solo-rules in the Ionian Revolt supplement on the Wargame Vault and that is a unit on unit game. 

Combat! is also a free game on the Wargame Vault that has solo-play rules.

The thing about solo-games is that they can not recreate what a human player will do.  However, that is not necessarily what a good set of solo-rules does.  Instead, it creates an element of "surprise" and Decision-making on the human player.  In that way, AI's can do unpredictable or strange actions in order to generate the surprise and force the human player to decide to "do something"!

However, AI alone is often not enough.  It needs to be coupled with time pressures, limited resources, and good win conditions.   

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2023, 04:42:10 PM »
Most of the games mentioned are skirmish games but i'd be curious to see what larger game/mass battle rules there are that have an AI? I guess TMWWBK could be categorised as that.
I'm curious to that as well, the larger the game the more involved or simplified the AI system will become I imagine.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2023, 06:00:56 PM »

I have a vague memory of being told about a solo Iwo Jima game that was large scale - the human player controlled the Marines. Sorry that isn't very helpful, but it might jog someone else's memory too (I'm not a WWII gamer myself). And I guess Iwo is a scenario particularly conducive to solo play!

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2023, 06:17:01 PM »
Men of Bronze has solo-rules in the Ionian Revolt supplement on the Wargame Vault and that is a unit on unit game. 

Combat! is also a free game on the Wargame Vault that has solo-play rules.

The thing about solo-games is that they can not recreate what a human player will do.  However, that is not necessarily what a good set of solo-rules does.  Instead, it creates an element of "surprise" and Decision-making on the human player.  In that way, AI's can do unpredictable or strange actions in order to generate the surprise and force the human player to decide to "do something"!

However, AI alone is often not enough.  It needs to be coupled with time pressures, limited resources, and good win conditions.

I agree with Easy E.  A solo game will never replicate playing against another person.  But a tabletop wargame can never replicate a real battle and some aspects of solo gaming could help us get closer to real world situations.
The standard wargame against an opponent gives us a view of the battlefield that no pre-modern general could hope for.  Likewise, command and control is typically better than what it would have been the case in a real ancient to early 20th Century army.  In short, wargames are just games and never a true simulation of battle (this is a fact we all accept but wish was otherwise, hence part of the reason for the search of the perfect rules). 

A well constructed solo game can allow for unseen terrain, surprises by the enemy, command failures of the player's army etc.  I would argue that some of these events would bring us closer to what a real world commander might have faced. 

The main thing with a solo game, as in any game, is making sure the player can make enough meaningful decisions.  There should be the ability to make some sort of coherent battle plan but enough uncertainty and surprises to force the player to adapt that plan. 

I should add, I currently play Sellswords and Spellslingers and Lion/Dragon Rampant predominantly. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 06:27:35 PM by Ethelred the Almost Ready »

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2023, 05:31:16 PM »
Which is also true of any wargame in my opinion, but solo-play provides for "unique" challenges in how to accomplish it.