Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:03:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689608
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Choosing your 2023 project?  (Read 7642 times)

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
Re: Choosing your 2023 project?
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2022, 05:06:40 AM »
This year's the same as every other year, Pinky:

Paint industrial quantities of SYW and Napoleonics and try to take over the world.
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2022, 05:06:56 AM »
When it comes down to it, the projects choose me.
~ , ~

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2022, 09:07:36 AM »
This year's the same as every other year, Pinky:

Paint industrial quantities of SYW and Napoleonics and try to take over the world.

In case you've never encountered it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqMs9WsJg2k
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2023, 05:39:43 PM »
Happy New Year..... it is now 2023.  The barren wasteland of an empty project table spreads before me.  Only two, lone Wiz Kids miniatures stare at me.... longingly.... and as yet unpainted.  These have been my insurance models for the last 2 years, just enough to keep me alive; but models I inherited and never intended on painting. 

The rest of the table is only bare, white plastic.  A brand new mega set of Speed Paints sits by, waiting eagerly for me to break it open.  Alas, I have nothing to paint with it.  Checking my Blood and Spectacles account, last year was a strong year for me.  Yet, I am reluctant to buy more models and begin anew.       

My mind remains unsettled, and the question rings through and echoes across the lonely corridors of my imagination.

Decisions must be made.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2023, 07:49:41 PM »
Scary times!

I position I’m not sure many of us can really relate to though! I thought my desk was pretty tidy, but can see figures for 7 or so projects and books for some more without really looking around.

I’m sure there must be a set of figures that is calling out to you?

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2023, 11:30:21 PM »
Here is my 'officially' posted goal set, posted up last Thursday:

Here is my 2023 goal set:

Number One - a minimum of 36 figures per month.  With 5 zero months in 2022, I need that to keep me on track. [432]
Number Two- 125 figures per month as my base goal.  Again. [1500]
Number Three- "Minor" stretch goal, 150 figures per month. [1800]
Number Four- "Major" stretch goal, 250 figures per month. [3000]

We will know in December next how well I do.  Or not.  I will count the lowest bracketed number as a minor disappointment and the highest bracketed number as a Strategic Victory.

My major trepidation is that my wife retires tomorrow and who knows what upheaval that will bring to my painting!

: Posted to the local gaming IO group.  So, it is very public.  15 mm and 'good enough' paint jobs make the numbers less daunting, maybe, than you think.  ;)

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2023, 02:03:52 AM »
My major trepidation is that my wife retires tomorrow and who knows what upheaval that will bring to my painting!
My wife usually likes to catch up on her reading and puzzles when off work for the summer. I hardly increased my hobby output but I was totally crazy the first year I was retired. Finished all of our planned home projects and then some. Drove my wife nuts with my weekend & summer break lists for when I had her 'help'.  I'm probably not helping your trepidation am I?  lol

Good luck with the2023 goals though.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2023, 02:13:13 AM »
Battle System's Maladum dungeon miniature skirmish KS starts next month, so I'm finishing up a review of their Fantasy Village set, as well as a campaign of their Core Space: First Born. Once the campaign is over, it's a review of First Born to write up!
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2023, 05:58:05 AM »
The Muse has spoken, DBN will be the prime project to kick off 2023.  This has been bubbling under with assorted bits of work over the last couple of years.  Time to get it to the table before Spring rolls around.

The omens are favourable.  Having decided this afternoon dive back into rebasing figures (15's on 60mm wide bases) — this evening Alex had posted a new battle report video on his DBN Wargaming channel on YouTube.
: 3

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2023, 02:42:49 PM »
I have to pick one?  lol
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2023, 10:02:41 PM »
2023 appears, so far, to be pushing me toward Forbidden Psalm, a fantasy skirmish game set in the world of the Mörk Borg RPG.

Being in this situation (that is starting a new project with a skirmish system designed for solo play) seems perilously akin to a year ago when I was all excited about The Silver Bayonet, a project which I utterly failed to see to completion, so I don't hold high hopes that I'll see this one through either, but it's where I find myself regardless!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 10:24:24 PM by tikitang »
https://a-descent-into-the-maelstrom.blogspot.com/

"The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything."

- Chuck Palahniuk

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2023, 11:25:28 PM »
I have very nearly run out of storage space. So the tasks this year will be to convert the boxes and piles of unbuilt and/or unpainted figures into units (maybe armies) that fit in the many unfinished projects. Thus converting stored stuff into playable stuff. Perhaps creating storage space for later.

Of course I reserve the right to be influenced by our grandchildren.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2023, 07:31:03 PM »
2023 appears, so far, to be pushing me toward Forbidden Psalm, a fantasy skirmish game set in the world of the Mörk Borg RPG.

Being in this situation (that is starting a new project with a skirmish system designed for solo play) seems perilously akin to a year ago when I was all excited about The Silver Bayonet, a project which I utterly failed to see to completion, so I don't hold high hopes that I'll see this one through either, but it's where I find myself regardless!

I too am identifying Forbidden Psalm as this years project.

I love that's its small and independent and a bit odd, will allow me to fart about converting  models and learning new stuff.

Most interest and information is on the Facebook group and patreon  which could put some people  off.

The Facebook group is great though, everyone is enthusiastic,  not least the author; I could see me drifting there more than here for this particular project for peer support and interest in such a niche game.

Tikitang. Just do what you do. If you feeling lacking in oomph you can always drop me line either on the forum or via PM.

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2023, 08:16:50 PM »
Last year, I started out with Fantasy, with Rangers of Shadow Deep as the focus, but just general Fantasy. 

I got distracted by Games Workshop which I haven't really paid much heed to in a decade)and that lead me down a rabbit hole of Necromunda and Kill Team and trying to keep up with the latest and greatest.  FOMO seems to be a business practice of theirs and I fell right into it.

This year I plan on slowing it down abit and moseying into the OLD WEST.  I'm really more about painting minis and building terrain for a specific genre, and then trying out different rulesets for what i have.  I think I'll start with Draculas America and see where that takes me.