Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:17:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Choosing your 2023 project?  (Read 7510 times)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Choosing your 2023 project?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2022, 11:23:58 PM »
I got so many projects already without starting any new ones. I would do better to just pick one of those and finish it completely.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline RSDean

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2022, 01:38:55 PM »
I am as much distracted by “new shiny” as the next wargamer.  I have two projects just freshly started  lol and I hope to make progress on one of them.  If I really wanted to be sensible, I would try to have only one NEW (not yet ready to play even a skirmish game) project going at a time, with the option to set it aside for a while and add something to an existing table-ready project if I wanted to paint something different for a break.

What are they?

The first one is a retro project.  I want to cast 19th century armies (either FPW or imagi-nations; casting capability is still a little murky) using vintage Schneider and related semi-flat molds.  I have castings for a few stands, so my immediate goal is to paint them before the weather opens up again for casting outdoors.  That’s usually around April here.

The second is another idiosyncratic project.  Before the current war, Michigan Toy Soldier imported a line of inexpensive 54mm flat figures from a company called Warriors and Battles in Russia.  I bought examples of most of the Kievan Rus range and a semi-fantasy more generic European medieval range, including a large selection of non-combatants.  My son recently took a few off to have a go at painting, since this sounds exciting to him.  If he’s hooked, that will move this one up in the priority list. Here are my samples painted so far, with a Reaper “heroic 28mm” figure for size comparison.

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2022, 02:40:11 PM »
Whatever project i might have deceived myself into believing i'd complete will have now to take the back seat as my main project chose me.

I'm having my first child this April so there's that.

I do wonder though if a miniature human could go well with the same colour scheme I picked for my dwarfs

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2022, 01:25:53 AM »
I have the exact and precise answer you need to guarantee your future happiness with your 2023 project.  Unfortunately, I have to charge $487.13 US for the information.  So, if you are interested, we'll sort out how you will pay me.

And, yes, I will provide a written guarantee.  [Not my fault if I accidentally use invisible ink.]

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2022, 03:25:35 PM »
If it involves rolling a d10, I might be interested......  lol
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2022, 03:41:23 PM »
These days I have little time for my own projects, inbetween grown-up work, painting commissions and family time, but when I do, it's mostly back-filling old projects that have been gathering dust. Fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately) I have such an eclectic mix of fantasy, historical, sci-fi and 35, 28 and 20mm scales that if I'm bored of one project, I can jump to a completely different one. The downside is stuff rarely gets completed.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2022, 04:54:36 PM »
I am basically in the same boat as Cubs and vodkafan in that I generally don't pick a project for a year but pick away at long term projects. I may focus on one or the other for a period of 2 or 3 months and I may have one that gets more attention than the others over the course of a year.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2022, 02:04:37 PM »
I got so many projects already without starting any new ones. I would do better to just pick one of those and finish it completely.
This is my issue.  Currently I’m trying to finish Royalist and Parliamentary forces for the ECW and get baggage and a Cambridge suburb finished before the Hammerhead show.  Although I’m being distracted by Scots for the same period thanks to Those Bloody Miniatures! (Not many people know that’s the company’s real name).

For 2023 I’m planning to devote a month to each of my projects with the aim of getting them ‘finished’.
So far the plan is:
Jan - 1640 ECW
Feb- 1940 Sealion
Mar - 1066 Normans and Saxons
April onwards - I’ll see where my fancy takes me :)
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2022, 04:39:45 AM »
I too will be continuing on with 2022 projects (SWL for myself and Battletech for friends). The BT project might see action at Adepticon so it will probably take priority. Longer term in 2023 I am planning on photographing my existing painted armies & collections prior to possibly selling ones I don't expect to play again.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2022, 02:07:36 AM »
Whatever project i might have deceived myself into believing i'd complete will have now to take the back seat as my main project chose me.

I'm having my first child this April so there's that.

I do wonder though if a miniature human could go well with the same colour scheme I picked for my dwarfs

Congratulations Luigi! I am a father of seven that's why I look like I do now worn out.

Online Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2022, 05:22:54 AM »
Got pleasantly pissed the other night after the England match. As usual tipsy cogitations wandered to wargaming, as they do. Because of the trayn strikes in Blighty, and swopping the old Herself for a new one, actual gaming has ground to a halt. The last game played being yonder Crimbo's wargame. Things don't look much better for next year, gaming wise, so I've settled on a stratagem...
After this year's Crimbo game I'm going to complete my Airfix Waterloo project, started in 1968. The wargames table will be set up, and left up till Papalotte farm's added and the the rest of the figures are fettled. Then the battle will be played solo using the cheap and cheerful OHW rules.

::)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2022, 06:40:07 AM »
2023 project: 10mm Tang Chinese and Yarlung Tibetan. The former are on the agenda for Newline, the latter may be feasible by proxy and conversion.

Hittites? Hmmm, why do they never spark my imagination?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 01:18:48 PM by FierceKitty »
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2022, 10:59:41 AM »
and swopping the old Herself for a new one,

That can be a very expensive project Harry!  lol

Online Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2022, 11:36:28 AM »
Tell me abart it, I've had to sell mi' Bren Gun to finance her!

:o

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2022, 02:03:37 PM »
Congratulations Luigi! I am a father of seven that's why I look like I do now worn out.

Thank you Vodkafan.

And WOW, 7?!?! I guess I have a lot of catching up to do. Does it work the same with kids as it does for my miniatures? Do they just go into my pile of shame  lol