Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:37:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Choosing your 2023 project?  (Read 7507 times)

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Re: Choosing your 2023 project?
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2022, 09:42:44 PM »
Love the sound of the Airfix Napoleonics - I really must get around to finishing more of mine. I also have a fair amount 1/72 ACW I must get finished.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2022, 03:28:50 AM »
Star Wars (a long time ago, remember?)
Stone Age
King Arthur
Vikings *
Robin Hood
Three Musketeers
Pirates ***
French and Indian War ***
Seven Years War (12 mm) ***
American Revolution * (mostly primed, some paint started)
Mountain Men
Indian Mutiny *
American Civil War ***
Old West/Pony Wars
Anglo-Egyptian Sudan (early)
French Foreign Legion (early, in Africa) **
Slightly Cracked Colonials (Scramble of a sort) edit: ***
Boxer Rebellion
German East Africa WWI
US Prohibition
Vietnam (10 mm)

2023 goal - completely finish one of the above projects!  Yes, I have all those projects.  Mostly 15 mm except as noted.  Asterisks indicate some painting done, the more asterisks the more painted.  Listed in chronological order - or nearly so.

About 7,000 (ack! another edit: closer to 8,500, forgot the Scramble finished stuff) out of about 40,000 figures painted (some acquired painted or painted by others).  Just none completely finished.  Pirates, FIW, and ACW very playable.  SYW playable but needs some work, very recent acquisition already painted.

My Lead Mountain Range!  There are some dangerous crevasses in the glacial areas, steep cliffs in other areas.  Trackless expanses in others.  Adventures galore possible.

A second goal is to get the collection over the 25% painted mark but that is more of a stretch.  Have to have a goal to achieve a goal. (edit: with the 8,500 edit, much more achievable - in the last 25 months I've painted 2,800 figures, that's just over 100 figures per month - and I had five goose-egg months this year)

Insanity?  Well, of course.  Isn't that part of the fun? ;)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 03:22:39 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2022, 10:18:09 AM »
Star Wars (a long time ago, remember?)
Stone Age
King Arthur
Vikings *
Robin Hood
Three Musketeers
Pirates ***
French and Indian War ***
Seven Years War (12 mm) ***
American Revolution * (mostly primed, some paint started)
Mountain Men
Indian Mutiny *
American Civil War ***
Old West/Pony Wars
Anglo-Egyptian Sudan (early)
French Foreign Legion (early, in Africa) **
Slightly Cracked Colonials (Scramble of a sort)
Boxer Rebellion
German East Africa WWI
US Prohibition
Vietnam (10 mm)

2023 goal - completely finish one of the above projects!  Yes, I have all those projects.  Mostly 15 mm except as noted.  Asterisks indicate some painting done, the more asterisks the more painted.  Listed in chronological order - or nearly so.

About 7,000 out of about 40,000 figures painted (some acquired painted or painted by others).  Just none completely finished.  Pirates, FIW, and ACW very playable.  SYW playable but needs some work, very recent acquisition already painted.

My Lead Mountain Range!  There are some dangerous crevasses in the glacial areas, steep cliffs in other areas.  Trackless expanses in others.  Adventures galore possible.

A second goal is to get the collection over the 25% painted mark but that is more of a stretch.  Have to have a goal to achieve a goal.

Insanity?  Well, of course.  Isn't that part of the fun? ;)

Oof, I got second hand anxiety from this. I wish you the best of lucks, and that you may accomplish it.

My projects for 2023? I will settle small goals, and expand upon them if there are proper advances:

-Print and paint enough scenery for at least five Infinity tables. We have a kinda big tournament here around May, and the organizers are some pals of mine, therefore I’d like to lend them a helping hand.

-Paint a couple warbands to introduce friends to games like Song of Blades and Heroes and such.

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2022, 10:26:32 AM »
Love the sound of the Airfix Napoleonics - I really must get around to finishing more of mine.

Same here - I have an Airfix Highlander battalion still unfinished that I was hoping to turn into an article years ago!
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2022, 12:31:01 PM »
I am basically in the same boat as Cubs and vodkafan in that I generally don't pick a project for a year but pick away at long term projects. I may focus on one or the other for a period of 2 or 3 months and I may have one that gets more attention than the others over the course of a year.

Same for me, I will not be starting any actually "new" projects in 2023 as I have dozens already underway. What I am hoping for is to actually paint the last figure or piece of scenery for something, anything.
Just to call one of my collections finished would be good.  :?

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2022, 04:01:23 PM »
I seem to have accidentally strayed into three new projects, Aussies in Vietnam, 28mm, Star Wars in 35mm 'Legion' scale, and WW1 in 28mm.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2022, 05:47:56 PM »
Well a month ago it was Star Wars Legion and AWI.
But I start playing Dragon Rampant about that time.
Dug out some old GW Drawfs in about 7days painted a 24 point "army." (35 figs, King on throne and Anvil of Doom)
Played first game and won, so I am off to the races.
I picked up a Gremlin army off Ebay, added some high lights put them on the table in a 3 player game.
Now I order some other races, so guess they are one of my 2023 projects.
The other one will be AWI, I need to finish the armies I started a few years ago.
So Star Wars goes on the back burner.
But, (there is always one) something new will pop up and I chase it for a month or two.
For me that is part of the fun of the hobby for me.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline fusilierdan

• Librarian
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2022, 01:41:39 AM »
I'm thinking hard about the new Knights of the Round Table figures
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/knightsroundtable/daniel-merseys-knights-of-the-round-table/description

I've already started in on Marks Little Soldiers which will take up much of early 2023.
https://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/list.php?cat=23&page=1

And there's always the fall back to Thirty Years War which I've been putting off for the last 30 years.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2022, 04:36:42 PM »
Well 2022 was all about retro Science fiction figures with lots of Warzone featuring and a surprisingly large amount of GW terrain.
For 2023 I will be reaching even further into the past. As a chance discovery of an Elastolin castle has given me the excuse to start a Garrison sword and sorcery army.

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2022, 06:27:27 PM »
For 2023 I'm aiming to get at least two fantasy warbands painted up for potential Song of Blades & Heroes games.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 12:37:51 AM by tikitang »
https://a-descent-into-the-maelstrom.blogspot.com/

"The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything."

- Chuck Palahniuk

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2022, 01:11:06 AM »
After resisting for years, I've ordered FFL, Moroccans, and some components to be assembled into Fort Zinderneuf.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2022, 10:13:10 AM »
Like some of the others here, I don't really have any projects, more "settings".

I prod and poke away at fantasy, modern/post apocalypse and science fiction, but just in a general sense. It's all about filling in the gaps, rather than setting out to do one specific thing. Maybe that's why I never seem to get anything finished ;D

Next year is more of the same, bulking out figures for the "settings" and never actually playing any games :(

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2022, 03:56:28 PM »
I think my most important goal for 2023 is to add a minimum number of figures to be painted each month, not just a goal of how many to paint in a month with a stretch goal to push things to higher numbers.

As to which project to focus on, so many to choose from makes it hard to settle.  Still hoping to achieve the goal of having a playable group for AWI and Old West added to the collection - well on the way to get my Slightly Cracked Colonials to that level.  Still weighing and considering.  And waiting on an order for that newly acquired SYW collection that can be quickly brought to playable and complete - just have to hope the ordered figures match to the already acquired figures.

Having goals works and I hate feeling guilty of missing a goal so hope that minimum per month, which will be a modest number (for me) of maybe 25 but probably closer to 50, makes a difference.  Still plan to have a larger monthly goal and a stretch goal because I don't want the minimum per month to be 'negative' crutch that lowers production numbers.

And I am contemplating setting a pretty high stretch goal but somewhat ambivalent on that front so no decision yet.

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2022, 08:14:12 PM »
My goals for 23 an't a long list

All I want to be able to do by the end of the year is to get to grips with painting WW2 cammo patterns on 20mm figures

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2022, 02:00:45 AM »
I think the future will include Parthians. They really fought a heck of a lot of their contemporaries, and the idea of Scythians and Parthians has possibilities.