Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:13:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690828
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Homemade Solo Rules I'm Using Instead of Canvas Eagles  (Read 2269 times)

Offline Dubar

• Scientist
Homemade Solo Rules I'm Using Instead of Canvas Eagles
« on: November 15, 2022, 06:38:52 PM »
DELETED
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 03:19:33 PM by Dubar »
The crow flies at midnight

Offline Dubar

• Scientist
Re: Homemade Solo Rules I'm Using For Canvas Eagles
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 01:42:05 PM »
DELETED
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 03:19:48 PM by Dubar »

Offline Dubar

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 10:19:05 AM »
DELETED
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 03:20:00 PM by Dubar »

Offline Dubar

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2022, 04:01:55 PM »
DELETED
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 03:20:15 PM by Dubar »

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2023, 02:19:45 AM »
Thanks for posting, very interesting.

When using miniatures my mates and I use Wings of War but I still play the Blue Max board-game face to face with another friend so I might try these for that (it is the basis for Canvas Eagles so should work).

Cheers!
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au

Offline Dubar

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 04:03:56 PM »
You're very welcome.

I can't seem to be content with any of the rules I've purchased, I've redeveloped Wild West rules (Ruthless), WW1 (Canvas Eagles), and WW2 (Bolt Action, Nuts, and 5 Men In Normandy).  All are fine rules but playing solo I want them like I want them so.....

If you see a better way let me know and I'll give it a try!

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2023, 08:55:44 PM »
Have a look at the below link, Herkybird has some WoW solo rules that look great, I have downloaded them but as I always play WoW with others haven’t tried them, BUT there maybe ideas of use to you.

https://herkybird.tynesidewargames.co.uk/wofg.php

Offline Dubar

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2023, 07:51:50 AM »
Thanks, always interested to see what others have developed!!!

Offline Dubar

• Scientist
Re: Homemade Solo Rules I'm Using Instead of Canvas Eagles
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2024, 02:13:47 PM »
Since I posted this I have basically completely redone these rules to suit what I wanted.  I've been play testing these for a few months now and they seem to do what I want.

I copied and pasted them from my file and had to move things around on the screen to make them look right, not sure how they'll print out but you should be able to adjust as necessary in whatever Word-type program you use.  I'm currently using Libre Office.

There's a photo on the first page I took of a game in progress and a couple of images depicting turn and slip moves that didn't show when I copied/pasted.  If anyone wants an actual copy email me and I can send an attachment that should include everything.

Basically there's 2 pages that are used during the game, the MOVEMENT and the COMBAT pages.  I'll follow this up with some movement diagrams I made and an image of the Aircraft Data Sheets I use.

I don't use any altitude rules as I play solo and find I never change altitude anyway.  Use and change as you prefer and enjoy the game!!!

WW1 AIR COMBAT RULES

(There's a photo here on the actual rules set)

STARTING POSITIONS
1. Both sides place aircraft at opposite ends of the hex battle field unless instructed otherwise.

NOTE: Altitude is not used in these rules.  All aircraft are at the same altitude

NOTE: To balance game play, number of guns should total so that both sides are equal

MOVEMENT

1. Each turn, each aircraft Rolls 1D6. If multiple aircraft are used, choose 1 from each side then roll.
2. The aircraft with the lowest score moves first. If a tie, roll again. Alternately roll and repeat between sides until ALL aircraft have moved.
3. Each aircraft must move its full movement each turn unless is reduced due to number of hits.
4. An aircraft cannot end it’s move in a hex occupied by another aircraft unless that aircraft has not yet moved this turn.  Plan your moves accordingly!!!  Leave Marker in original hex until move is over.

TURNING & SLIPPING
1. Turning towards a new hex face/side requires 1 move forward then 1 move towards the face/side.
2. Slipping may be performed by moving into the adjacent hex that’s in a forward direction at the cost of 2 moves each hex.
3. If direction of turn or slip is changed (right to left or left to right) then aircraft must move forward 1 hex before changing direction.

TURNING                  SLIPPING

(There's images here on the actual rules set)

FLYING OFF THE BOARD
1. If an aircraft’s movement takes it off the board, it has entered a cloud bank.  Mark the EXIT hex, aircraft cannot reenter until rolling 1D6 = 5 or 6 at end of turn.
2. If it can reenter the board:
a) Determine reentry hex by rolling 1d3 (1D6/2), result is number of hexes from exit hex
THEN
b) Determine if reentry hex is left or right of exit hex by rolling 1d6,
     if 1-3-5 it reenters left of the exit hex and if 2-4-6 it reenters right of the exit hex

COMBAT

WEAPON TYPES:
A) Fixed Mounted Weapon – Target must be in a hex straight ahead of the firing aircraft.
B) Wing Mounted Weapon – Target must be in a hex straight ahead of the firing aircraft.
C) Flexible Mounted (swivel) Weapon (Observer) – Target must be within a 120 degree arc of the weapon (adjacent sides of the forward/rear side of the hex).
D) If an aircraft pilot has both a Fixed and a Wing mounted (Fixed or Flexible) weapon, only 1 can be fired during the turn.
E) Aircraft with both Fixed and Flexible weapons, with a pilot and observer, may fire at the same target or at separate targets if applicable.

NOTES:
1. If target is in hex directly behind an aircraft with a rear mounted weapon, that hex is considered to be a blind spot for rear firing weapons and cannot be shot.
2. Aircraft may fire AFTER ALL aircraft have moved.

READY-AIM-FIRE!!!
1. Announce if aircraft is shooting a Short/Medium/Long Burst (see step 7), then Roll 1D6 for results.

2. ADD 50% (round up) IF shooter has dual-mounted weapons firing simultaneously (Twin Vickers/Lewis/Spandau guns, see aircraft data sheet).  If result was 5, add 3, so roll would now = 8.

3. Apply the following Modifiers as applicable:
   A)   -1 for each hex from shooter to target
   B)   +1 if shooter aircraft is faster
   C)   -1 if shooter aircraft is slower
   D)   +2 if shooter is an Ace (5 or more Kills)
   E)   -2 if target is an Ace (5 or more Kills)
   F)   +1 if shooting medium burst
   G)   +2 if shooting long burst

4. If result is greater than 0 after applying Modifiers A thru G, then that many HITS ARE SCORED.  The resulting HIT number is subtracted from the target’s Damage Boxes.

5. For every 10 Damage Boxes filled in, subtract 1 from movement distance.

6. When all Damage Boxes are filled in, aircraft is destroyed.

7. Ammo Used:    Mark 1 ammo box for each weapon/weapons fired if firing a Short burst
         Mark 2 ammo boxes if firing a Medium burst
         Mark 3 ammo boxes if firing a Long burst

8. If firing a Long burst, Roll 1D6, if roll = 6 then gun(s) jammed, place a black marker on stand.

9. If a weapon runs out of ammo place red marker on stand. Roll 1D6 at the end of the turn to rearm:
Even roll (2, 4, or 6) then weapon(s) is rearmed and ready to fire next turn.
Odd roll (1, 3, or 5) then weapon is still out of ammo.  Roll again end of next turn.

10. If weapon jammed, Roll 1D6 at the end of the turn to clear jam:
Roll 1 or 6 = Gun(s) remains jammed
Roll 2, 3, 4, or 5 = Jam cleared

OBSERVING AND BOMBING

1. Assign a maximum of 4 targets.

2. Opposing side, position each target on hex map, from their own trench lines:
   a. Roll 1D12 for left to right location on map
   b. Roll 1D6 for position from trench lines (edge of table/hex map)

3. Observing/Bombing aircraft rolls 1D12 for left to right starting location on the end of their trench lines (edge of table/hex map).

4. Observing/Bombing aircraft must end each move ON each target location assigned.  Plan Your Moves Carefully!!!

5. Once targets have been accomplished, Observing/Bombing aircraft must move towards and cross over their own trench lines.  Plan your outgoing and incoming routes carefully!!!

6. If Observing/Bombing aircraft successfully completes mission, assign 1 “Kill” to that aircraft.

7. For each target accomplished – divide total number of targets by number accomplished and assign the result as part/fraction of a “Kill”.  Objectives may not be accomplished for a variety of things such as aircraft sustains too much damage and decides to go back towards trench lines, or enemy aircraft prevents him from accomplishing the mission.  A partial success counts, a downed aircraft gets no glory!!!

EXAMPLE – If there’s 4 targets:
      1 success           25%
      2 successes   50%
      3 successes   75%
      4 successes   100%

3 targets:
      1 success           33%
      2 successes   66%
      3 successes   99% (100%)

2 targets:
      1 success           50%
      2 successes   100%

1 target:   100%

AIRCRAFT STATISTICS

PURPOSE = Reconnaissance = R      Bomber = B      Fighter = F

PURPOSE   MOVEMENT   GUNS              DAMAGE
GERMANY            

ALBATROS C-III              R/B      5      1 Fixed (Pilot) & 1 Flex (Obs)   39
ALBATROS D-III              F              6      2 Fixed (joined) (Pilot)      30
ALBATROS D-Va              F              6      2 Fixed (joined) (Pilot)      30
FOKKER D-VII              F              6      2 Fixed (joined) (Pilot)      27
FOKKER D-VIII              F              7      2 Fixed (joined) (Pilot)      24
FOKKER D-R1              F              6      2 Fixed (joined) (Pilot)      24
PFALZ D-III/IIIa              F              5      2 Fixed (joined) (Pilot)      29
SIEMANS-SCHUCK D-IV        F              6      2 Fixed (joined) (Pilot)      26
LFG Roland D-VIb           F              6      2 Fixed (joined) (Pilot)      29
LVG C-VI                 R              6      1 Fixed (Pilot) & 1 Flex (Obs)   39
DFW C-V                 R              5      1 Fixed (Pilot) & 1 Flex (Obs)   39
ALBATROS D-II              F              6      2 Fixed (joined) (Pilot)      29
HALBERSTADT D-II           F              5      1 Fixed (Pilot)                 31
HANSA-BRANDENBURG C-1     R/B      4      1 Fixed (Pilot) & 1 Flex (Obs)   41
AEG C-IV                 R/B      5      1 Fixed (Pilot) & 1 Flex (Obs)   38
PFALZ D-XII              F              6      2 Fixed (joined) (Pilot)      28
PFALZ D-VIII              F              6      2 Fixed (joined) (Pilot)      28

GREAT BRITAIN

SOPWITH CAMEL            F      6      2 Fixed (joined) (Pilot)      26
SOPWITH PUP               F      6      1 Fixed (Pilot)                 27
RAF FE 2b                  F/R      5      1 Flexible (Obs)                 43
SE 5a                  F      7      1 Fixed & 1 Wing Flex (Pilot)   29
SOPWITH TRIPLANE            F      6      2 Fixed (Pilot)                 26
RAF BE2c                  R/B      5      1 Fixed (Pilot)                 37
BRISTOL F2b               F      6      1 Fixed (Pilot) & 1 Flex (Obs)   41
AIRCO DH2               F      5      1 Fixed (Pilot)                 31
SOPWITH 1-1/2 STRUTTER         F/R      5      1 Fixed (Pilot) & 1 Flex (Obs)   33
RAF RE8                  R/B      5      1 Fixed (Pilot) & 1 Flex (Obs)   40

FRANCE

NIEUPORT 11               F      5      1 Fixed Wing (Pilot)              22
NIEUPORT 17               F      6      1 Fixed & 1 Wing Fixed (Pilot)   23
SPAD VII                  F      6      1 Fixed (Pilot)                 28

U.S.A.

NIEUPORT 28               F      6      2 Fixed (joined) (Pilot)      24
SPAD XIII                  F      7      2 Fixed (joined) (Pilot)      29
SALMSON 2A2               R      6      1 Fixed (Pilot) & 2 Flex (Obs)   40

ITALY

HANRIOT HD1               F      6      1 Fixed (Pilot)                  25
ANSALDO SVA5               R/B      7      2 Fixed (Pilot)                  35

(Movement was determined by taking 10% of max airspeed of actual aircraft data divided by 2)
(Damage determined by totals of damage boxes from Canvas Eagles Data Sheets divided by 2)

« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 12:26:55 PM by Dubar »

Offline Dubar

• Scientist
Re: Homemade Solo Rules I'm Using Instead Of Canvas Eagles
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2024, 02:15:40 PM »
Here's the photo and movement images.

The 2 images of 5 and 6-move turns are in an "odg" file used in Libre Office (free) and don't show on the post.

GOT IT!!!

« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 02:58:36 PM by Dubar »

Offline Dubar

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2024, 03:09:04 PM »
Here's 2 examples of the Aircraft Data Sheets I made for each aircraft model I have. Fokker DVIII and Sopwith Triplane.

I made them in a Excel type program (Libre Office Calc Spreadsheet) and inserted photos of the models I have into the document.

Offline Dubar

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2024, 10:07:14 PM »
I made an alternate method of deciding which aircraft moves first for anyone using these rules.

ALTERNATE METHOD:
1. Shuffle a deck of cards and deal each aircraft a card until deck is depleted and all aircraft have same number of cards (set any extra cards aside)
2. Each aircraft may play any card in his hand, low card moves first. If cards are same, play in this order: Clubs, Diamonds, Hearts, Spades.  Discard once the cards are played for that turn.

These would replace steps 1 and 2 in the Movement Phase.

I played a short game this morning to see if I liked them and they seem to work much better, rolling the dice seemed so predictable in one sense and so haphazard in another!!!  There's actually some skill involved when deciding on which card to play.  Such as if one of your aircraft is out of ammo or has a gun jam.  Having to move first may get someone on your tail whereas moving last (playing an Ace) may give you an opportunity to get away and reload or clear that jam.

Offline Dubar

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2024, 01:41:32 AM »
I've been using these rules for almost 2 months now and the games have been pretty lively.  However, something seemed off, like the supposedly fastest, most nimble aircraft just weren't.

Then it hit me, Maneuverability was missing!!!  What I mean is the amount of movement wasn't reflecting how nimble some of the aircraft were.

I racked my brain trying to figure out how to add Maneuverability to the mix and came up with this:

Movement = Speed + Maneuverability.

How did I determine maneuverability...by consulting the Canvas Eagle Aircraft Data Sheets and adding up how many maneuvers each aircraft could perform.  Simple but so far effective!!! ;D

Here's the last 2 pages of my rules rewritten, taking into account the Speed and Maneuverability factors.  See the NOTES at the bottom of each of the 2 pages, they should explain the process.  I have the German aircraft on 1 page and the Entente on a separate page.

AIRCRAFT STATISTICS

GERMANY         PURPOSE      MOVEMENT   GUNS           DAMAGE
                  (Speed+Maneuverability)

AEG C-IV            R/B      5+0=5      1 Fixed (Pilot) & 1 Flex (Obs)   38

ALBATROS C-XII         R      6+0=6      1 Fixed (Pilot) & 1 Flex (Obs)   41

ALBATROS D-II         F      6+0=6      2 Fixed (joined) (Pilot)      29

ALBATROS D-III         F      6+0=6      2 Fixed (joined) (Pilot)      30

ALBATROS D-Va         F      6+1=7      2 Fixed (joined) (Pilot)      30

FOKKER D-VI            F      6+1=7      2 Fixed (joined) (Pilot)      27

FOKKER D-VII            F      6+2=8      2 Fixed (joined) (Pilot)      27

FOKKER D-VIII            F      7+2=9      2 Fixed (joined) (Pilot)      24

FOKKER DR-1            F      6+1=7      2 Fixed (joined) (Pilot)      24

ROLAND D-VIb            F      6+2=8      2 Fixed (joined) (Pilot)      29

PFALZ D-XII            F      6+1=7      2 Fixed (joined) (Pilot)      28

PFALZ D-VIII            F      6+2=8      2 Fixed (joined) (Pilot)      28

SIEMANS-SCHUCKERT D-IV   F      6+2=8      2 Fixed (joined) (Pilot)      26

(Speed was determined by taking 10% of max airspeed (mph) of actual aircraft data divided by 2)

(Maneuverability was determined by taking the number of maneuvers from Canvas Eagles Data Sheets divided by 2, then grouped into 3 groups: 7-13 =0, 14-20=1, 21-25=2)

(Movement was determined by adding Speed and Maneuverability)

(Damage determined by totals of damage boxes from Canvas Eagles Data Sheets divided by 2)

AIRCRAFT STATISTICS

GREAT BRITAIN      PURPOSE      MOVEMENT   GUNS           DAMAGE
                  (Speed+Maneuverability)

AIRCO DH2            F      5+0=5      1 Fixed (Pilot)         31

AIRCO DH9            F/R      6+0=6      1 Fixed (Pilot) & 1 Flex (Obs)   41

BRISTOL F2b            F      6+1=7      1 Fixed (Pilot) & 1 Flex (Obs)   41

SE 5a               F      7+2=9      1 Fixed & 1 Wing Flex (Pilot)   29

SOPWITH TRIPLANE         F      6+1=7      1 Fixed (Pilot)         26

SOPWITH CAMEL         F      6+2=8      2 Fixed (joined) (Pilot)      26

SOPWITH PUP            F      6+0=6      1 Fixed (Pilot)         27

SOPWITH 1-1/2 STRUTTER      F/R      5+0=5      1 Fixed (Pilot) & 1 Flex (Obs)   33

FRANCE

NIEUPORT 17            F      6+0=6      1 Fixed & 1 Wing Fixed (Pilot)   23

U.S.A.

NIEUPORT 28            F      6+1=7      2 Fixed (joined) (Pilot)      24

SPAD XIII            F      7+2=9      2 Fixed (joined) (Pilot)      29

ITALY

ANSALDO SVA5         R/B      7+1=8      2 Fixed (Pilot)         35

(Speed was determined by taking 10% of max airspeed (mph) of actual aircraft data divided by 2)

(Maneuverability was determined by taking the number of maneuvers from Canvas Eagles Data Sheets divided by 2, then grouped into 3 groups: 7-13 =0, 14-20=1, 21-25=2)

(Movement was determined by adding Speed and Maneuverability)

If anybody is using these rules let me know what you think and if you have suggestions.