Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:54:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Are you Slap-Chopping? - Now includes Suck Cut (yes, really!)  (Read 5775 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Are you Slap-Chopping?
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2022, 12:48:20 PM »
A lot of the bad results from drybrushing the undercoat stem from not drybrushing softly enough, or using the right brushes.

Also; try wiping off the brush on a solid surface, rather than a piece of tissue paper. The paper will suck all of the moisture out of the brush, resulting in noticeably more chalky results. When wiping on a surface such as a pice of laminate floor or a glazed tile, the paint will be taken off the brush (albeit not as fast), but the remaining paint will retain its moisture, and thus be less chalky as a result.

When done well, drybrushing can be as subtle as airbrushing. It just takes quite a bit longer to do right. However; drybrushing can do things that airbrushing can't do, and the reason why you'd want to drybrush when sla ::) using this technique is that the lower/darker drybrushes cover the entire miniature, and only the lightest one(s) is done as a zenithal.

That means that the transitions from black to white are smoother, especially in the recesses. Also any possible streaking (read: errors in drybrushing) are less jarring when working with several progressively lighter layers, since no black shines through, but rather the previous, only slightly darker layer.

And yes; this does take a lot of the speed out of the process, defeating some of the purpose, but overall I think it'll still be faster, and certainly easier, than traditional layering and highlighting/shading...

As an aside; I don't really mind the whole YT fads, as long as you see them for what they are. In fact I find it sometimes informative to hear several people covering the subject, and them all being at the top of the feed is useful. Also; I cherrypick those youtubers I find OK, and veer widely around those I find annoying. Seems to do the trick without getting my blood up... ;)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2022, 02:17:06 PM »
@ Daeothar:

It's true that soft drybrushing can be done without too much texture build-up, and similarly poor spraying technique/conditions can also result in texture build-up. If the texture is fine and uniform, a coat of clear varnish can often be used afterwards to "smooth" out much of this texture without losing too much detail at all.

Ultimately though, every extra step, or each time you slow down to achieve greater precision and/or a finer finish, detracts from the speed benefit of the technique in the first place. In other words, all speedpainting techniques rely on cutting corners somewhere along the line, and how much you cut determines the speed and relative quality of the output.

I'd write more about my YT thoughts, but I fear it will just come across as broadly negative; I don't want to detract from what's otherwise a good conversation on LAF, and I sense many people here share my feelings anyway.

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2022, 11:43:12 AM »
I had a go at slap-chopping.

This is a scorpion kit that needed some TLC and had been languishing in my lead pile for years. Probably took an hour to do and most of that was waiting for the paint to dry.

Not one for the purists, but I'm happy with how it looks. Not sure I'd apply the technique to some of my other miniatures though.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2022, 12:06:35 PM »
Nice work  :)

Good to see some more non-Youtube results before actually committing to the deed...  :D

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2022, 01:33:10 PM »
@ nozza_uk:

I'm curious to know your opinion; if you had just sprayed/painted the model red, and then put a darker wash over the top, would it have given you the same result do you think?

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2022, 03:16:03 PM »
@ nozza_uk:

I'm curious to know your opinion; if you had just sprayed/painted the model red, and then put a darker wash over the top, would it have given you the same result do you think?

It might give you a more even finish.  Looking at my picture, I can spot the areas where my dry brushing (with white) was too heavy handed.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2022, 04:51:17 AM »
I heard the term the other day but had no idea what it was referring too.  Thanks for the educational moment.  lol
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2022, 08:11:26 AM »
I need to start slap chopping. I think I might use it to paint my ogre army that is requiring some work (as in I haven't started and it's really daunting).

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2022, 10:01:55 AM »
I've tried but been unhappy with the results.

Prime black and dry brush grey and white. Figs either look dirty or anemic - so it's back to traditional methods. 

No real time saving (for me) either.

Bleeding speedpaints (an apt phrase) haven't helped either.

Perhaps it reaffirms the old dog new tricks aphorism.

No dear, they are not toys, they are models

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2022, 04:05:36 PM »
@ nozza_uk:

It might give you a more even finish.  Looking at my picture, I can spot the areas where my dry brushing (with white) was too heavy handed.

Hmm, do you think if you'd added a layer of brush-on varnish before the colour (to smooth out the drybrushing a bit) it might have helped?

Or, would colour prime + contrast/wash + light drybrush highlight have still produced a similar or better result? I guess I'm curious really to see if any actual time/effort is in fact saved on quick paintjobs... I suspect not, but I'll defer to others' experience.

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2022, 05:21:45 PM »
I've done some models using the method, mostly cause I'm super slow at painting and also to justify the contrast paints I bought and found didn't work as miraculously as advertised. :P

I think the results do tend toward less saturated and grimdark styles adding to Pauld's comment but that can work depending on what you're painting. These were the first ones I did (and printed on an FDM printer so layer lines aren't doing me any favours) and I quite like the results, I might redo them now I have a resin printer.

I have done a couple of resin prints as well, also pretty desaturated in terms of skin tones.

Some of the contrast paints can be pretty saturated and bright though, I haven't tried speed paints or Vallejo's new range so don't know how their colours stack up.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2022, 06:48:01 AM »
Ive been using the technique for decades.  Now I can’t imagine doing anything else.

Dan

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2022, 08:36:19 AM »
Just when you thought the names couldn't get any worse - there's now Suck Cut!  ::)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xqfyrpqXi4

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Are you Slap-Chopping? - Now includes Suck Cut (yes, really!)
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2022, 10:17:05 AM »
To be clear though; Ninjon coined the term as a joke to go against the trend and let people know that you should paint as you want and not according to Youtube fads just because it's the fashionable thing to do.

Although him also being on Youtube and using the term as clickbait might be explained otherwise...  ::)

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Are you Slap-Chopping? - Now includes Suck Cut (yes, really!)
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2022, 10:52:36 PM »
Ninjon sense of humor and sarcasm is usually front and center in his work but he likes a good clickbait title as much as any other youtuber.  As he and others have pointed out, using premixed ink/washes like contrast paint and AP speed paints is probably the only slightly new wrinkle here at least for their mostly GW 40K painting audience.  It is interesting to see train building or oil painting techniques and how they are adapted to miniature painting.  What's new might not really be new but it's good to see it propagated to a new audience.