Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:34:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pure curiosity question: Who do Perry Brothers use for mold making and casting?  (Read 1401 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Question arises out of a local I/O group where someone asked about whether Perry owns Renendra or vice-a-versa.  I suggested neither to be true and there is probably a contractual arrangement "between" the companies.

But it also lead me to wonder who does their mold making and casting for their metal miniatures?  Do they do it in house or do they farm it out to another company?  I know a lot of companies use a specific company to do their mold making and casting this side of the pond.  Wondering if the same applies in the UK?  Certainly makes sense given "economies of scale" - and leaving more time for sculpting.

I'm pretty sure part of the reason some companies run out of stock and take some time to restock is waiting to get their molds scheduled into production and then the time to ship the stuff to the seller.  Especially if the casting company has their own ranges that compete for time.

Purely curious.  Actual answer doesn't really matter except to satisfy the curiosity.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Renedra are a plastic manufacturing company. One of their major clients is Perry Miniatures, they also manufacture for North Star, Gripping Beast, Fireforge, Conquest Games, Agema, Shieldwolf, Mantic, Warlord, Battlefront and probably loads more I've forgot right now.
Plus they do their own range of bases/ scenery etc.

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
They farm it out to someone else, brains not working so can't remember the name.
As an aside you can see them in the segment on wargames figures in the How it's made series S27 ep1.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Yep, Renedra - and they do most of the small UK companies' miniatures.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
I believe the original poster was asking about their metal ranges - yes, I've always understood they do it themselves in-house.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
I always believed they were contract cast. There used to be some issues with quality control but not so much now.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Perry metal moulding and casting is, I believe, all in house.

There is obviously a special relationship with Renedra but I believe that it’s a completely separate entity
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 04:59:36 PM by James Morris »

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
I thought Griffin did the Perry casting.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt